Investing just enough to keep one of each

Hey all. New here and I did search around for a topic similar to this so sorry if its a repeat.

Always been interested in Legos since I was little but I guess you could say I've been out of the game for a long time. Anyway, I really like some of the new stuff like the Architecture theme. I didn't realize Lego was such an investing opportunity until I stumbled upon this site.

I'm sure you get out of it what you put in, but I suppose what I am looking to do is pretty much be able to buy sets and break even by buying and selling a couple extra. If this isn't clear, basically buying three sets, saving two to sell and keeping one for myself (buy 3 sets for $20 each, and sell 2 for $30 each).

Does anyone do this? Or do you get too addicted to the profits, or just lose a lot of money haha. 

Anyway, just curious. Thanks for any input.

Hey all. New here and I did search around for a topic similar to this so sorry if its a repeat.

Always been interested in Legos since I was little but I guess you could say I've been out of the game for a long time. Anyway, I really like some of the new stuff like the Architecture theme. I didn't realize Lego was such an investing opportunity until I stumbled upon this site.

I'm sure you get out of it what you put in, but I suppose what I am looking to do is pretty much be able to buy sets and break even by buying and selling a couple extra. If this isn't clear, basically buying three sets, saving two to sell and keeping one for myself (buy 3 sets for $20 each, and sell 2 for $30 each).

Does anyone do this? Or do you get too addicted to the profits, or just lose a lot of money haha. 

Anyway, just curious. Thanks for any input.

Welcome to the site!!!

I definitely invest to help me purchased sets for myself for sure.  However things are a little more complicated than that.

Not every set you want may be a good investment - so you can't go straight off that. Furthermore, you have to average in fees, etc. to find your real selling price.

I would suggest reading through some of the blogs, etc. as several of us have posted about what sets to buy and sell as well as the best ways to invest.

I haven`t sold anything yet, but my plan is to make a spreadsheet and use the Brickfolio to total up costs. I`ve spent far more, but say I have spent $200 on sets 5 sets., or $40 average. I will then wait until I can clear (pocket) a minimum of $50 a set, but I will only sell 4. I have now broke even, leaving me with a $40 set to sell later on or keep for myself. Essentially, I hope to total up my entire Brickfolio, sell even to break even, then keep all the rest for either myself or to sell for 100% profit later on. If I spend $500 on 10 sets, but am able to sell 7 and make back the $500, I have 3 left for pure profit or to open / save. My goal is to amass a bunch of sealed Lego for, in essence, free in the end leaving me with the option to liquidate for 100% profit (minus fees of course) or keep for myself. I think it is important to look at your Investments as a whole as well, as opposed to strictly the performance of individual sets, even though that will play a role in how short/long you take to sell them. 

Just an example of course, but I see no reasons why others wouldn`t be doing something similar to this. It`s just another way of looking at the Investment, if that makes sense. 

I started off myself by getting 2 of all the Star Wars sets when I really got interested but lately because of less money to spend I've had to start liquidating some of my sets. And of course I'm really interested in getting all of the LOTR sets and continuing to collect the Superheroes sets too. Just so much, having to decide which ones to concentrate on first.....help!!!!

I can see buying one to keep and another one or two to sell later on provided you had the capitol to. I wouldn't do this with every single set I like since some won't be good gainers in the secondary market and would just keep this strategy more towards the sets I believe could be winners.

On a side note, I have bought more than one of a certain set just cause I liked the parts. ^_^

Oh, and welcome to the site by the way.