Custom Lego Table

srm_520

I'm going to toot my own horn for a minute and show off the Lego table I just built for my girls.  Not all the drawers are in, but there is a trough in the front with holes so they can slide all the excess Legos directly into the top drawers.  It was a fun build and they like it - plus it's a little more play area than the everyday play table.

post-10835-0-05577000-1373333479_thumb.j

• Like 6

I wish I could buy something like that.  Does anyone know a good source for a decent building table, for a 5 year old?  Our train table is too low to sit at, and coffee table is also too low.  Thinking about getting a 6 ft banquet table, with a table cloth and lego baseplates--but that might be too tall for the little guy.  Hard to find just the right size--and I am not skilled enough to make anything.

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_1250000000022984P?Sid=IDx20100622x00003a&srccode=cii_5784816&cpncode=30-218737097-2

Thinking about this one.

Also--what is the best source for lego baseplate--ebay seems the cheapest so far....in my limited searching.

Wow! I really like this. My kids would love this and it would be soooo much better than the kitchen table we currently use, where LEGO goes all over the place.

Got a BOM and instructions? ;)

Sorry, no instructions - I'm kind of a blueprint in my head and build as I go kind of guy. :)  Our Legos were all over the dining room table, so hence the build. 

As far as a BOM -

4x8 sheet of 1/2 & 3/4 plywood

poplar (or any other hardwood, what I had laying around) for the border & basket rails

16 Lego plates purchased from Ebay and Bricklink

Metal baskets from the container store

Adhesive spray for the plates

Lots of screws and wood glue

Kils primer and red paint

My guess is the whole thing cost around $250 give or take by the time everything was finished.  Lego plates were around $90 of it, and the dang metal baskets were around $100, and wood around $60.  You could go plastic on the drawers and probably have $50.

Guest eightbrick

I wish I could buy something like that.  Does anyone know a good source for a decent building table, for a 5 year old?  Our train table is too low to sit at, and coffee table is also too low.  Thinking about getting a 6 ft banquet table, with a table cloth and lego baseplates--but that might be too tall for the little guy.  Hard to find just the right size--and I am not skilled enough to make anything.

Whatever you go with, make sure the table doesn't have sharp edges. Unfortunately, I learned from experience as a little guy that a fall onto a table edge can cause some significant damage.

• 1 month later...

Just discovered this topic - awesome table man! 

Are the plates glued?  That's 10x10 plates or not?

What's the girls' review? :)

The girls love and it gets played with almost every day.  They are the regular 10x10 plates, and I used a spray adhesive.  I found that is the quickest and best way to get plastic to bond with wood (unpainted), just have to be careful though because once they touch - it's pretty well stuck.  After over a month of play everything is still bonded tight.

• Like 1