LEGO - A lot more than just a toy company

pickleboy

It's interesting to think about how LEGO is so much more than just a plastic brick making company now.  ...might be worth thinking about.

http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/advisor/build-brand-content-empire-learn-lego-131516058.html

Although the best way for our existing sets to go way up in value if for LEGO to go out of business :)  (Just kidding!)

Lego is by far the smartest Toy maker in the market right now. Its unbelievable that no one copies it. You can't make the same toy forever. You make toys people love and only for a short period of time with many exclusives and new announcements. It always keeps people interested.

And then you have to get the best licenses. SW and LOTR, 

Lego is by far the smartest Toy maker in the market right now. Its unbelievable that no one copies it. You can't make the same toy forever. You make toys people love and only for a short period of time with many exclusives and new announcements. It always keeps people interested.

And then you have to get the best licenses. SW and LOTR,

I beg to differ. There are MegaBloks Kreo, Disney apparently has their own terrible line, there is some type of compatible bricks that have lights that are sold at Target. Best license I have no argument. :D

Guest eightbrick

TLG are a smart company (these days).  Everything they do is for a reason and that's to maximise shareholder returns.  Their brand reach is a fantastic example of a marketing strategy paying off at a global level.

Shareholders? Lego is a private company, and not traded as a stock.

Guest eightbrick

Yes I know that.  A company does not need to be publicly traded to have shareholders.   :)

I guess. I just thought the most common use of the word is someone who owns stock in a company. In that case, I completely agree :D

I guess. I just thought the most common use of the word is someone who owns stock in a company. In that case, I completely agree :D

Well that's the same isn't it?  TLG owners will each own a share portion of the company stock.  Stockholders, shareholders, owners, it's all the same really.

Guest eightbrick

Well that's the same isn't it?  TLG owners will each own a share portion of the company stock.  Stockholders, shareholders, owners, it's all the same really.

Indeed. I saw my arguement fell right apart in the face of the word's full definition so, no hard feelings, you are right ;)

Indeed. I saw my arguement fell right apart in the face of the word's full definition so, no hard feelings, you are right  ;)

No worries, hope I didn't sound critical or anything, that wasn't my intention.  :friends:

I think TLG's media strategies have been excellent so far.  One area that is ripe for them to get into though is smartphone apps and games, they haven't really pushed into that space yet as far as I'm aware.

Guest eightbrick

No worries, hope I didn't sound critical or anything, that wasn't my intention.  :friends:

I think TLG's media strategies have been excellent so far.  One area that is ripe for them to get into though is smartphone apps and games, they haven't really pushed into that space yet as far as I'm aware.

It's all good. :thumbsup:

They have converted some games to iPhone/iPad/iPod versions such as the HP lineup and Batman, but they are very watered-down, and from first-hand experience, are pretty boring and suffer from lags and glitches (at least, HP 5-7 does, I have yet to play the others). They have quite a few free games as well, but yeah, they haven't seen a huge breakthrough in the mobile department, other than for the Lego Batman game, which is sitting pretty at the fourth most popular paid app on itunes right now.

PS: If anyone is interested in buying the the HP or Batman games on iTunes,  they are like 80% off for 99c (limited time offer), so buy now if you are considering.

Grolim, TLC is actually very active in the smartphone app game. I have downloaded two apps for my kids - Lego 4+ and Legends of Chima Speedorz app. I know there are more, as well, although none for AFOLs as far as I know.

They have converted some games to iPhone/iPad/iPod versions such as the HP lineup and Batman, but they are very watered-down, and from first-hand experience, are pretty boring and suffer from lags and glitches (at least, HP 5-7 does, I have yet to play the others). They have quite a few free games as well, but yeah, they haven't seen a huge breakthrough in the mobile department, other than for the Lego Batman game, which is sitting pretty at the fourth most popular paid app on itunes right now.

PS: If anyone is interested in buying the the HP or Batman games on iTunes,  they are like 80% off for 99c (limited time offer), so buy now if you are considering.

Grolim, TLC is actually very active in the smartphone app game. I have downloaded two apps for my kids - Lego 4+ and Legends of Chima Speedorz app. I know there are more, as well, although none for AFOLs as far as I know.

There we go, I had no idea they had gone that deep.  I switched to Android a couple of years ago so haven't seen the iTunes offerings.  Not sure if they have put them on Android as well but haven't really checked it out.  Would be cool to see some AFOL stuff.