Article : Why do minifigures have a hole in their head?

jaisonline

I've heard the hole in life savers is there for the same reason and that the very name "life savers" is a reference to this feature of the candy.

The name and design of a Life Saver was inspired by a "life buoy" you would find on a boat and such. What you just described is the urban legend surrounding the fact that the candy creator's child had once choked on regular hard candy. I've found the history of candy to actually be very interesting.

just a minor interesting note.  this weekend, i helped my son build Chima Crawley's Claw Ripper (set 70001).  we noticed the gator minifig (Crawley) has the holes at the top of his head.  However, the Leonidas (lion) doesn't. I'll take a look at his other minifigs.

Now then wouldn't they be called "life preservers"???? Jk jk jk jk jk (lest u be very sensitive)

Ha, I guess "Life Savers" just sounded hellacool. :cool: I don't know. Where did the name "Snickers" come from and why would anyone think that was a good name for a candy bar with caramel and nuts? The history of candies, soda drinks, and other confections is an interesting although odd trip.

just a minor interesting note.  this weekend, i helped my son build Chima Crawley's Claw Ripper (set 70001).  we noticed the gator minifig (Crawley) has the holes at the top of his head.  However, the Leonidas (lion) doesn't. I'll take a look at his other minifigs.

I think the situation with the hole/no hole has more to do with where the head piece was manufactured. The choking bit is true but you have different parts made in different factories from different molds.