mixed bins

Is there a point in most homes.....where the parents and kids say f-it-throw out all their lego boxes an instructions, drive to walmart to get a big bin and throw all there sets in and mix it up like they are kneading bread? I realize not everyone is neat...nor a collector....but stuffing 30 to 40 different lego/themes in a single tote without box nor instructions?

Decided to dabble into craigslist a bit again as we are on vacation this week...wanted to do some hunting in other states...but my head hurts. Between the month old ads not removed...ghosts....no call backs or emails...people not giving pics or set numbers...or even a damn theme?!

Blah

Guest betsy805

boxed sets are useless in this house.  They build it and tear it down the same day and into the heap it goes.  We do have it sorted by color though, so instead of one big bin it's a couple pull out drawers.

Guest betsy805

My big thing about craigslist is WHY THE HELL do people take off all the minifigures hands and heads and torso's and toss them in with the rest of the legos?!  What's the point in that?  Any why do I find rusty nails and screws mixed in?

There are gems out there, you just have to dig a little.  Just a few weeks ago, I scored about $700 in used 1990's era sets that where all in good shape and almost all complete (Was able to replace the few yellowed/broken/missing pieces from my own loose bricks).  All for a 20 minute drive and a 100 bucks.

Is there a point in most homes.....where the parents and kids say f-it-throw out all their lego boxes an instructions, drive to walmart to get a big bin and throw all there sets in and mix it up like they are kneading bread? I realize not everyone is neat...nor a collector....but stuffing 30 to 40 different lego/themes in a single tote without box nor instructions?

Decided to dabble into craigslist a bit again as we are on vacation this week...wanted to do some hunting in other states...but my head hurts. Between the month old ads not removed...ghosts....no call backs or emails...people not giving pics or set numbers...or even a damn theme?!

Blah

Actually, yes.

Here's my personal experience on this:

When I was a child growing up in the 80's and 90's with my LEGO collection, I never kept them organized. My sequence was as follows: Get the set, build it from the instructions, play with it a bit, destroy it once finished and put it to the LEGO bin.

My LEGO bin in this situation was a giant, but shallow, wooden pull out "drawer" (it was on wheels) that slid underneath my bed. All my LEGOs ended up here, and the signature scraping sound was a dead giveaway I was building something. I never categorized my sets or even organized them. I had them all in a large bin, sloshing around because I could go back and build what I wanted. As cool as I found sets growing up, not one was ever cooler than what I felt I could make myself, so I never ran into a situation where I went back and built something.

Fast forward to now, and my 4 year old daughter has a small bin that she put all her LEGO Friends stuff into (plus whatever I give her from my old collection, that I still have). She's got some nice sets in there, too. I bought her both Heartlake Dog Show and Butterfly Beauty Shop in there (before I was an investor, though I probably would've gotten them for her anyway).

Interesting. We have a big bin of mixed as well...but its all the crap 5 and 10 city/fire junk. Everything else is kept together. I also grew up...and threw everything in a tote....but back then...they are all the same! City, astronauts, boats...figures..all boring Same colors, faces and pieces...so it didn't matter. Now you find star wars mixed with mining and Harry potter! Also---sets cost a lot more now...surprised people don't take better care of their stuff.

Yet still ask retail for their lego/kreo mixed tote.