Amazing MOC vandalized at Cairns Central

TheOrcKing

The Brick Fan article.

Austrailia's own Lego Certified Professional, Ryan McNaught, builder of the incredible helicopter MOC utilizing 10,000 parts and cost roughly $25,000 simply named "Elvis", was the subject of apparent vandalism as a group of juveniles had pushed the piece over as it was on display in Cairns Central.

LEGO "Elvis">8369034405_f095edafab_b.jpg

LEGO "Elvis">Elvis by TheBrickMan, on Flickr

lego_wreck_main.jpg

This is so sad. The guy was there to teach kids about building with Lego, too. AND he continued his lessons after this nonsense. That's a good guy right there.

Anyway, I hope the culprits are currently feeling proper guilty. That sickening kind where they're laughing about it until they're alone, then it starts gnawing at their guts. Hopefully that feeling will stick and they'll be better people for it.

Here is an update from The Brick Fan: http://www.thebrickfan.com/cairns-central-vandalism-update/

"Two 14 year old boys were part of a group of juveniles who destroyed the 100,000 piece display. They were caught and arrested with one count each of entering the premises and willful damage under the Australian Youth Justice Act. Police are continuing with the investigation and are expecting the other kids will be caught and charged as well."

Honestly, if someone tipped over a big LEGO display I did, I'd be pretty happy for the extra publicity the event garnered me and my work, assuming I was able to get it professionally photographed beforehand.

I mean, case-in-point, I probably wouldn't have come across this unless I was physically there, or that if those little dirt-weeds hadn't knocked it over!

At least that's my optimistic point of view speaking, which is rare for me.

Guest eightbrick

25,000$? Vandalizum ? Can't they be charged with a felony being its more then 1,000$ damaged :P or does that not apply to Lego

Apparently, Australia has done away with the difference between misdemeanors and felonies: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misdemeanor. Plus, breaking a model into pieces might not be considered full out damage because most of the pieces probably survived by themselves. But the most likely reason they aren't going to face huge trouble is that they are being dealt with by Australia's  Youth Justice Court, which, if its anything like Canada's youth crime laws, means they can practically get away with any non-violent crimes without a record. I think people need to crack down on youth crime in some respects, I mean, if you are under 12 you can practically get away with murder.

It is called the "You have been a very bad little boy response". They won't even get a slap on the wrist.

Hmmm. That's a shame. Kids get away with way too much in America nowadays too though, so I guess this isn't too different.

Guest eightbrick

Hmmm. That's a shame. Kids get away with way too much in America nowadays too though, so I guess this isn't too different.

Yeah. Apparently, we have don't have a fully developed conscience so we can do whatever we want without repurcussions.

Yeah. Apparently, we have don't have a fully developed conscience so we can do whatever we want without repurcussions.

Ha ha. Back in my day, we had Jiminy Crickett there to set us straight and keep us honest. Nowadays you whipper-snappers all listen to that rap music and damage property with your skateboards. :shifty:

Ha ha. Back in my day, we had Jiminy Crickett there to set us straight and keep us honest. Nowadays you whipper-snappers all listen to that rap music and damage property with your skateboards. :shifty:

Here is a popular teenage rap song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N87DEVdhgUU

Jk. LOL.