missed a big score by one week. grrrr

I stopped into a Walmart that is a bit out of the way for me about 4 weeks ago.  Asked one of the associates about their legos and he said they have an entire shelf in the back of legos from a few Christmas's ago.  I asked if I could have a look and he said the manager, who was out, would have to help me.

I tried to call back a few times to no avail, and with vacation last week I didn't have time to get back there.

but I thought I'd have time, they had been there 2 or more years after all right..... right......!!!

I went back today and spoke with the manager.  here is what she said

"Oh they are all gone, they told me to mark them all $5.....($5 freaking dollars!!!!).  I questioned them because some of them sets were marked $69.99 and they told me to get rid of them.

:( damn damn damn.

Oh well, moral of the story, don't hesitate to ask and make a deal.

I wonder what you actually missed?  I mean, at $5/ea. I would think the employees would purchase most all of them before they made it out into the store.  At least that's what I've come to expect from my local Walmarts.   Really now, how many times can you show a healthy inventory on a set, but can never find them when a customer is looking for one?  I can't tell you how many times I hear "Yeah, that's weird, it shows we have (4-7) of them in stock, but I can't find them."  The explanation: "they must have walked out the door" only works so many times.  What I need to do is start asking if I can help them look for them in the back.

does walmart have a toy dept manager or do you talk to the store manager?

I think it depends on the store. One store I was in had the same manager for toys, sporting goods, and camping supplies, and they weren't there. Other stores have you talk to a manager.

What happened with the OP will not be true of every Walmart store though, many will not attempt to oblige you by bringing stuff out from the back, even if they do have something there. I've asked at a couple stores, was given a dirty look and told they didn't keep old stock in the back. All the while I'm imagining the person thinking to themselves "Lego is for kids you greedy, selfish bastard! Go buy a bike or a video game!"

I totally wish I had an in with someone at some of the Walmarts near me. I know they have junk in the back. If they do put it out to the public, its only for a couple days as it's insanely discounted. These sales are completely random. It makes them great to score on one, but definitely painful to miss.

I think it depends on the store. One store I was in had the same manager for toys, sporting goods, and camping supplies, and they weren't there. Other stores have you talk to a manager.

What happened with the OP will not be true of every Walmart store though, many will not attempt to oblige you by bringing stuff out from the back, even if they do have something there. I've asked at a couple stores, was given a dirty look and told they didn't keep old stock in the back. All the while I'm imagining the person thinking to themselves "Lego is for kids you greedy, selfish bastard! Go buy a bike or a video game!"

This one had a toy dept manager.

When I approach them I never do it from an investment standpoint, just as someone looking for clearances. and if they say " your kids are going to love these"  I agree

I totally wish I had an in with someone at some of the Walmarts near me. I know they have junk in the back. If they do put it out to the public, its only for a couple days as it's insanely discounted. These sales are completely random. It makes them great to score on one, but definitely painful to miss.

This lady said she was told to get rid of them because they are doing inventory next week.  Sounds like they just wanted less to count.  Not sure if all the Walmarts are on the same inventory counting schedule or if its just random.  would be nice to know.

This one had a toy dept manager.

When I approach them I never do it from an investment standpoint, just as someone looking for clearances. and if they say " your kids are going to love these"  I agree

Yeah, I don't talk about investing, and I'm not sure the store employee knew what I was doing for sure, but I still got the look. I probably should've brought one of my kids with me that day.

Yeah, I don't talk about investing, and I'm not sure the store employee knew what I was doing for sure, but I still got the look. I probably should've brought one of my kids with me that day.

haha I always try to leave the kids at home, If I don't I'm usually a sucker for the puppy dog eyes and the "can we please build this one dad" pleas. 

As someone who never sees these deals I'll choose to believe they're a myth.  My local stores...  Walmarts, Kmarts, Targets, etc...  absolutely never have those insane freakin' deals on anything.  The best I've seen is just price matching Amazon at Target...

As someone who never sees these deals I'll choose to believe they're a myth.  My local stores...  Walmarts, Kmarts, Targets, etc...  absolutely never have those insane freakin' deals on anything.  The best I've seen is just price matching Amazon at Target...

Keep in mind by their own policy they price match Target.com, Amazon.com, Walmart.com, BestBuy.com, ToysRUs.com and BabiesRUs.com unless you live in Alaska or Hawaii.