What is a 'Bronies'? Local Toronto newspaper

weakside

Guest eightbrick

This was quite prominent a while ago, in fact some people I saw were wearing Pony snapbacks and stuff walking around town.

You know, I have heard that word before but never did bother to ask or find out just what it meant. I don't see anything wrong or wierd with it at all. A lot of the staff members who create shows like that are males as well as females. They're not hurting anyone or going 'cuckoo' in their own life, so nothing bad to say from me.

Maybe now we should have a name for men that buy Friends sets....and they don't have a daughter! :lol:

This was quite prominent a while ago, in fact some people I saw were wearing Pony snapbacks and stuff walking around town.

I haven't seen any but than again maybe I did and didn't think twice about it. 

Oh well...I'm sure everyone reading this has at least one person in their life that thinks Lego 'investing' is a little different :) 

Am I the only one who think LEGO should get the license to make My Little Pony sets ? It may never happen due to Hasbro.  But with a build in adult fans, I could only see great :money: opportunity in secondary market.

A couple of people on CUUSOO already tried to promote such an idea, one was rejected right out the gate and the other after about 7,000 supporters.

Decision on the IP's fit with the LEGO Brand

First and foremost, congratulations to Addam for gaining so many supporters for this very well done concept on LEGO CUUSOO. The work you have put into the concepts for potential LEGO renditions of My Little Pony figures and playsets is outstanding.

We know My Little Pony is very popular, and these concepts would make great products. Our team has done our due diligence. Since the property is owned by Hasbro we've decided it

The reason LEGO didn't do it is because it's Hasbro.

That being said, there's nothing stopping KRE-O (owned by Hasbro, and in my experience the next highest quality competitor in the building bricks department) from doing a MLP line, perhaps as a girl-targeted line aiming at things like MegaBloks Barbie and LEGO Friends.

If they do make sets based on MLP, I will be grabbing some because as frightening and disturbing as the "Brony" phenomenon is, for an investor that rabid interest translates into nothing but profit.

The reason LEGO didn't do it is because it's Hasbro.

That being said, there's nothing stopping KRE-O (owned by Hasbro, and in my experience the next highest quality competitor in the building bricks department) from doing a MLP line, perhaps as a girl-targeted line aiming at things like MegaBloks Barbie and LEGO Friends.

If they do make sets based on MLP, I will be grabbing some because as frightening and disturbing as the "Brony" phenomenon is, for an investor that rabid interest translates into nothing but profit.

Sorry to bring the discussion slightly OT. But since LFoW mentioned KRE-O, has anyone in the forum looked into investing in KREO Star Trek ?  Star Trek fan base is certainly bigger than MLP.  However, I could not bring myself to buy any of the KRE-O ST sets because they look awfully ugly.  I am obviously bias toward LEGO, but is there any potential in this line ?

Guest eightbrick

Sorry to bring the discussion slightly OT. But since LFoW mentioned KRE-O, has anyone in the forum looked into investing in KREO Star Trek ?  Star Trek fan base is certainly bigger than MLP.  However, I could not bring myself to buy any of the KRE-O ST sets because they look awfully ugly.  I am obviously bias toward LEGO, but is there any potential in this line ?

I might dabble with the Enterprise/Bird of Prey, or the minis if they do well. Anyone know how old Kreo sets have done in the past?

Hasn't anyone heard of BronyCon? :)

Yup, the current generation of MLP ("G4") has a HUGE fan base, both male and female, kids and adults. I started watching it with my daughter, but I have to say I am now more of a fan than she is. It's just one of those kids cartoons that have "fanboy" appeal because it's well written and there's details/pop culture references that adults get (other shows like this that I like are Phineas and Ferb, Fairly OddParents, Powerpuff Girls, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, Spongebob, etc.)

I can't quite picture a Lego MLP set...though the idea appeals to me. They'd really have to work on making the minifigures (ponyfigures?) as accurate as possible...without making it look awkward.

Anyway, there's a whole market of MLP collectibles. Another area to invest in maybe? :)

I might dabble with the Enterprise/Bird of Prey, or the minis if they do well. Anyone know how old Kreo sets have done in the past?

It's not exactly an "old" brand. They've only been on the market a couple years IIRC. They've only done a few other lines. GI Joe, Transformers, and Battleship off the top of my head.

I grabbed a couple of the Battleship sets because they had some great colors and neat little pieces I can use at my scale of building, and I got them for a good price.I put their quality as very comparable to LEGO. I know people generally hate the "clone brands", rightly so, but KRE-O in particular actually works very well mixed with LEGO bricks. My gallery and Flickr have quite a few mecha that include subtlety blended parts from other brands.

I think what Hasbro needs to stop doing is CGI renditions of their toys as the box art. It doesn't give a real idea of what's inside the box, and almost implies that the toys look so bad that they have to do CGI to make up for it. This isn't the case. The bricks' quality is just fine, and is hardly noticeable next to LEGO pieces.

Here's a mini mech I did that is literally 50 LEGO mixed with 50 KRE-O:

Castor.PNG

Guest eightbrick

Great MOC, LFOW. Are all the sand green pieces Kreo?

Yeah, I heard about Kreo being somewhat better quality than MegaBlocks. The Star Trek License might help them convert some Lego enthusiasts.

Great MOC, LFOW. Are all the sand green pieces Kreo?

Yeah, I heard about Kreo being somewhat better quality than MegaBlocks. The Star Trek License might help them convert some Lego enthusiasts.

It's KRE-O's Olive green. Compared to LEGO's Olive Green, it's a darker, slightly richer color, and yes, everything of that color is KRE-O, as well as every piece on the gun assembly, except the one headlight brick holding it to the frame.

Guest eightbrick

It's KRE-O's Olive green. Compared to LEGO's Olive Green, it's a darker, slightly richer color, and yes, everything of that color is KRE-O, as well as every piece on the gun assembly, except the one headlight brick holding it to the frame.

Impressive. You should mess with the purists over at Eurobricks and say there are new pieces you got because you work for Lego. They will go "WOW those are awesome!" And then when you say its Kreo, their opinions will change: "Now that I look at the pieces for a second time, I don't really find them to be up Lego's quality. Actually, they are terrible!" lol

The only clone brand I look at now is nanoblocks, have the small himeji set.

I've made a lot of people do similar comments on my Flickr gallery.

The general consensus is "The Purists" love the result, but hate the method.

It's not only that I use clone brands, though. I'm also not averse to drilling, cutting, filing, dying, painting, or otherwise modifying parts to create a unique effect. I am among the most damned in the eyes of the purist.

Maybe there's crossover potential with Friends, considering this:

http://www.hasbro.com/equestriagirls/en_us/

I'm surprised it took this long to do an official 'personification' of each character. I'm seen for the last year or so a lot of fan art that switches back and forth between equestrian and human form and they're all rather good. I've always found one artist's interpretation of another's work interesting.