cell phone coverage

willy431

Noticed something curious over the last few weeks of lego shopping.  I always have my phone with me--to check online prices, ebay values, and of course brickpicker values.  I get absolutely full signal in Walmart, Target, Kmart, Kohls, malls, pretty much everywhere...and at all of their locations I visit...save this sub forums namesake.

I thought it was odd---as soon as you walk in the door, no signal--and I mean none.  I was visiting a couple toysrus in other parts of the state---and another state---and same thing.  As soon as you walk into toysrus and get 10-20 feet from the door---you lose complete signal.

Is this a coincidence?  It is illegal to block cell phone signals actively/electronically--so I know they aren't doing that.  So that leaves construction material.The 3 stores I visited all had the same type of building---so perhaps that is what is going on.  Next time some of you folks go into a toysrus, please report back if this is a local thing--or national.  Very odd that all other stores have full signal even in the most remote areas of the store.  I bet ALL retailers would love to block us "smart" shoppers access to information--but it is illegal.  So far.

I have been experiencing the same problem everytime at my Walmarts for the last good number of years and it just keeps getting worse to remotely try and receive a signal. I am sure much remodeling has been done and new coats of paint applied but it does make one suspicious especially when the timing could not have been more convenient with online price matching and whatnot. It has happened a few select times at other retail stores but not as bad as the two Walmarts around me.

Guest ph4tb0i

Are you guys with tmobile? This happens to me too but its expected with tmobile given that they use a spectrum that's not that great for indoor exception. We have carriers (Wind/Mobilicity) in Canada that use the same spectrum and the result is the same in malls, walmart, etc.

Att 4g on iPhone 5 for me.  It's kind  of funny...I am at toysrus pretty often.  It never gets old.  I stand right by the entry to get reception in order the check prices online and what not....never  fails---at least a couple people walk in talking on their phones.....and before  they even get halfway through the first seasonal isle......hello?  Hello?  What did you say she wants for the birthday party?  Hello?  Something big? STUFFED pig?  Star WHIG? Hello?  Then usually a full minute staring at the screen wondering what happened.

You should do a test. Go with someone with a similar phone but a different carrier. Test across the front of the store, does the signal drop off uniformly across or does it form more like an arc? Also can you get behind the store on the outside? Can you get a signal next to the building or do you have to go a similar distance as inside from the back wall to get a signal?

Is the toysrus in a strip mall? Do you get the same results in the other stores a few doors down?

Phone jamming is illegal but that doesn't mean it's not used. I believe it's legal in Mexico but you would probably need the right equipment to even detect it.

I have Sprint, and a phone from the stone-age. It hardly works in the two Walmarts I visit. It is fine at Target and ToysRUs. And it didn't work in my dorm or around my dorm, or even on that specific campus. But it was onto of a mountain so that may have been the issue. Oh, it also doesn't work at the local grocery store and I have to step outside to call Mum to see what else I had to get.

I have Verizon and I've had some problems with cellphone reception inside a store. (Walmart, Target, B&******, etc.) Some spots of the store have better reception than others, but I think that is pretty normal for most people. I've never been in a store that entirely has no cellphone reception.

I have Version and I've had some problems with cellphone reception inside a store. (Walmart, Target, B&******, etc.) Some spots of the store have better reception than others, but I think that is pretty normal for most people. I've never been in a store that has no reception.

Version? Well, there's your problem :)

Noticed something curious over the last few weeks of lego shopping.  I always have my phone with me--to check online prices, ebay values, and of course brickpicker values.  I get absolutely full signal in Walmart, Target, Kmart, Kohls, malls, pretty much everywhere...and at all of their locations I visit...save this sub forums namesake.

I thought it was odd---as soon as you walk in the door, no signal--and I mean none.  I was visiting a couple toysrus in other parts of the state---and another state---and same thing.  As soon as you walk into toysrus and get 10-20 feet from the door---you lose complete signal.

Is this a coincidence?  It is illegal to block cell phone signals actively/electronically--so I know they aren't doing that.  So that leaves construction material.The 3 stores I visited all had the same type of building---so perhaps that is what is going on.  Next time some of you folks go into a toysrus, please report back if this is a local thing--or national.  Very odd that all other stores have full signal even in the most remote areas of the store.  I bet ALL retailers would love to block us "smart" shoppers access to information--but it is illegal.  So far.

I have never had this problem, but I would assume our cell traffic is much lower than yours up near Boston.