Tron. Classic, Evolution, Legacy, Uprising. The coolest LEGO never made.

LowestFormOfWit

Tron has got to be one of my favorite movie franchises. I absolutely loved the aesthetic put forth in Tron: Legacy.

The unfortunate part, is that it's not a strong franchise. The movie did well, but the toy line was an absolute bomb. A complete disaster aside from the toy identity discs. The Tron: Evolution game, meant to bridge the two movies, was also poorly received. Even the Tron: Uprising animated series, which I personally thought was amazing, with a great cast, ended its season with a cancellation.

All of this failure, however, I think was the result of some poor choices made by Disney. The toy line was half-assed and boring. The game was poorly marketed. The animated series was stuck on an unpopular, subscriber channel Disney xD, and on a poor timeslot.

However, I think this would have been, or could be, a winning LEGO line. Considering Disney chooses to deal with LEGO for a good chunk of its IPs (Princesses, Toy Story, PotC, Lone Ranger. etc) it is odd we never saw this happen.

LEGO could make extensive use of their light brick technology, or even come back with a revamped fiber optic module to light the iconic Tron aesthetic. The minifigs have a lot of unique characters to pull from across the entire franchise. They would look killer, especially if wired for light effects like some of the Star Wars ones with lightsabers.

LEGO already makes Tron colors in its translucent shades. Light Blue, Clear, Neon Orange, Yellow, etc, and against black would make for some very cool looking sets (think back to Blacktron 1 and 2 sets for similar aesthetics).

Light cycles, light tanks, light jets, light runners, the Solar Sailer, C.L.U.'s command ship...there's no shortage of vehicles to support it. Along with iconic locations like Flynn's Arcade, the Portal, the Light Cycle arena, Abel's Garage, Flynnms hideout....the list goes on of great places to use in sets.

I have debated starting a serious CUUSOO project in a similar fashion as the Space Marines or Portal 2 offerings. The only problem I see is that Tron is the coolest franchise that nerds just donmt want to pay for.

Is there anyone else like me that would throw fistfuls of money for Tron LEGO?

I'm just enamoured the with aesthetic they did in Legacy, but I have seen customs of both styles, and the results are envious.

I made a 5 minute Quorra minifig out of an Electrosuit Batman a bob and a spare head, with a tire as an idenity disk on a neck bracket.

I couldn't help but want for more. Some of the Tron LEGO stuff on Flickr makes my head spin.

I think CUUSOO may your best option for garnering support. I think Stephen's right - the fan base just isn't there for Lego to green light a Tron theme. That said, a Tron theme could be successful if done correctly.

Have you seen the Litebrix Lego knock off that are now sold at TRU? Perhaps Lego may feel compelled to counter competition from this new competitor, and what a better way than with a licensed theme?

I haven't seen the old one yet, but the new one is one of my favorite movies actually (and I'm 23).  I own the soundtrack from it, which was fantastic!  I just wish I would have seen it in 3D.  I would definitely buy a Lego line.  Make a CUUSOO set someone!

I was so glad I chose to watch the original again before watching Tron: Legacy.  They are actually very closely tied together.  I'd seen the original several times, but it was definitely good to go into Legacy with all the characters and plot points fresh in my head.  I think they are both great and the music (by Daft Punk)  in Tron: Legacy is some of the best soundtrack music ever made.  I rank it right up there with some of the John Williams stuff, but obviously very different/electronica and not an orchestra.

I really liked the game Tron: Evolution too, not so much from the gameplay perspective, although it was still fun.  The story in it was actually very well done.

I agree the Tron universe in Lego would be great and would open up new doors from a Lego perspective, use of light bricks, and new color presentations.  Do I think it would sell well, probably not.  Unfortunately, Tron has never received the main stream reception we'd like it to have.  It's very sci-fi'ish and tied in with computer nerd-dom, so the core audience is a little more limited.  It definitely doesn't appeal as much to soccer moms and little kids.

Do a serious Cuusoo project and I will support it. It's the perfect opportunity because like you said Disney owns the Franchise... Disney would probably agree to it! Just make it pretty. I'm sure we could hit the Tron fan websites out there and get 10,000 votes in no time!

I think CUUSOO may your best option for garnering support. I think Stephen's right - the fan base just isn't there for Lego to green light a Tron theme. That said, a Tron theme could be successful if done correctly.

Have you seen the Litebrix Lego knock off that are now sold at TRU? Perhaps Lego may feel compelled to counter competition from this new competitor, and what a better way than with a licensed theme?

A relative bought my 2.5 year old son one of thos Litebrix sets. $25 for the chopper that falls appart if you look at it sideways. So many flaws in the designing of the pieces to the point where you can't really put it together any other way then the actual set. Very little re-play value. He did like it when used as a nightlight on top of his shelf where he can't reach it but $25 for a little nightlight is just plain silly.

I think a Tron theme would have done pretty good if it had come out when Disney's movie did. I didn't hear many kids talking about the movie when it came out though.

Tron has got to be one of my favorite movie franchises. I absolutely loved the aesthetic put forth in Tron: Legacy.

Is there anyone else like me that would throw fistfuls of money for Tron LEGO?

Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! Me! Me! Me! :D

I abso-f**king-lutely loved the original to death, and Tron: Legacy was pretty cool too. I'm surprised you didn't mention the PC game from 2003, Tron 2.0, in there; that was great and meant to be a sequel between the first and second films. Oh, and company Stern made a sweet pinball machine on Tron: Legacy. Come on, how much more serious do you get than designing a f**king pinball machine!!!! The CG series had potential but I agree the timeslot 'derezzed' it. I know there are a couple of CUUSOO projects, one of which is an awesome UCS lightcycle, and some general ones not worth writing home about truthfully.

I'll say this much, any CUUSOO project you start, LowestFormOfWit, I'll support it! No questions asked!

End of Line.

If I had to choose between the two, I'd watch Legacy every time. I have fond memories of watching the first one with my dad, but we both agree that even though the story holds up, the groundbreaking effects haven't aged well and the action feels stilted. I think Legacy was severely underrated during its theatrical run, and like Wit said, the toys were horrendous. Worse than CG Young Jeff Bridges, even :) But the style of Tron technology has no peer, and anything that looks remotely close immediately feels like plagiarism. Is it too much to ask for another reboot?

• 2 weeks later...