Retiring Soon - open speculation

3 hours ago, redcell said:

With the sets being tagged so early, the best stuff will be long gone before 12/26.

yes, my area is different from most situations though. I live in the middle of nowwhere and there are 2 walmarts nearby that always overstock the LEGO aisle. I almost always have success. 

8 minutes ago, thelegollama said:

If the new holiday train retires I will be shocked.  I could see lego retiring it after the holidays and bringing it back every year around the holidays.

I think it´s their way of saying BUY ME!!!!

Probably made too many and are not getting the sales they wanted.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, c_rpg said:

Good point. Though I doubt that would help much for these sets.

All you haters are so confused re: Simpsons.  Maybe no one likes 'em in Europe, but they sell very well in the States.  People were buying my Series 1 minifigs last year for $310 per case.  Bought wholesale, that wasn't half bad.

5 minutes ago, GhostDad said:

All you haters are so confused re: Simpsons.  Maybe no one likes 'em in Europe, but they sell very well in the States.  People were buying my Series 1 minifigs last year for $310 per case.  Bought wholesale, that wasn't half bad.

Series 1 are doing well here too (cases going for around £200).  Particularly well, as they were very easy to pick up at £1 per fig.  
Series 2 no one cares.  Maybe one day, but there are just so many out there.  

31 minutes ago, feed said:

Series 1 are doing well here too (cases going for around £200).  Particularly well, as they were very easy to pick up at £1 per fig.  
Series 2 no one cares.  Maybe one day, but there are just so many out there.  

I agree.  Series 2 supply was enormous.  I actually prefer the figures to Series 1, but they definitely jacked up the quantity produced.  That problem (oversupply) can happen to any set or theme, however, and it's usually hard to tell until after retirement.  My point was that the demand is out there, contrary to popular opinion on this site (no one watches The Simpsons anymore, no one cares, etc.).  As opposed to Scooby Doo, a show (and corresponding lego theme) all brickpickers seem to love, that nonetheless can't help getting cancelled over and over again:

https://www.inverse.com/article/15431-scooby-dooby-doo-where-are-you-why-are-your-animated-series-so-short-now

1 hour ago, GhostDad said:

I am not confused at all, than you very much! My market has told me they don´t care much for Simpsons, Imperial Hotel or Super Heroes (except for a handful of sets) and it was  a big noob mistake to follow US tastes when buying my original portfolio back in the day.

It´s a pity because the two big Simpsons sets are really great designs and they look pretty good in Jang´s town too.

• Like 3

does anyone really think holiday train is retiring after one season?  i it seems like the holiday sets "retire" every year in europe and then come back the following year.  haven't seen that yet in the US - you could buy santas workshop all year long this year.  I'd like to think the train is going now after only 1 season but i'm not going to deploy capital unless they show RETIRING SOON on usa site .

disney minifigures are now listed as retiring soon at usa shop at home so hopefully these disappear in the next few months. 

time to hit my goals on the smaller architecture stuff while its still being discounted at target and walmart and i can do in store pickups without sales ta in NH.

Flatiron in particular strikes me as a good target with amazon discounting over 25% off, shorter than typical production life, and given other NYC set performance seems like a good place to drop some lego coin.  

its a little overwhelming with all these retiring soon targets being let loose but it at least you can pick and choose what to buy come up with a plan and then try and find the price you want instead of scurrying at the last minute.  it will be interesting to see if there are any unannounced retirements.

• Like 1

The reason why the winter train is noticed as "retiring soon" is that it will really retire in January, but will be available again next winter - the same happen with village market in europe 2 years ago - it retired just after 4 months, some people started panic buying (including me), but was again alive next winter season (while in USA was available the whole year).

So it couldnt be a mistake.

3 minutes ago, fantomas007 said:

The reason why the winter train is noticed as "retiring soon" is that it will really retire in January, but will be available again next winter - the same happen with village market in europe 2 years ago - it retired just after 4 months, some people started panic buying (including me), but was again alive next winter season (while in USA was available the whole year).

It just means... if this season you want one running under your xmas tree you have to be quick or be dead.

Next year all bets are on again.

4 minutes ago, fantomas007 said:

I can confirm that - just spoken about with a LEGO employee...

• Like 1