Retiring Soon - open speculation

4 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

Considering the stagnation of 9492, I don't think it will reach $200.

Agreed.  That is why I made the comment about not being concerned that the UCS TIE would cap the FO TIE price on the secondary market.  If it gets to the same price as 9492 within a couple years that should be an easy double with the right buy-in price.

• Like 1

You guys actually like 75101?  I built one and I didn’t think it was anything special. RRP seems way high, such that even a 30% discount didn’t feel value, figs are meh and we’re likely to see a squadron of Ties over the next few years. 

5 minutes ago, biking_tiger said:

I'm more concerned (as a small timer) with Amazon's gate then 75095. 

There are ways one can get around the gate.. 

Also, I think this is a set that reaches 120ish in a few years.  Easy doubling...at current prices, but it will probably rank 3rd or 4th in terms of "net potential" for FA sets.  As these first wave Force Awakens sets go, and Episode 8 comes into play, I suspect we will see some of these sets do well and this is definitely one of them. 

Really, the only set from the first wave of FA sets I see sticking around for a while is the Millennium Falcon.  I could see that extending well into the Episode 8 Force Friday and then being retired next year.  I doubt they make another MF for episode 8, but a new tie fighter that is different from this variation could be a possibility, but I suspect we will see new ship designs for Ep8 and Ep9.  I'm not sure how they will handle that one, because with the Han Solo movie coming in 2018, clearly a Millennium Falcon will be a part of that film, so maybe a minor refresh will occur at that point with some minor update of the minis. So, all the sets but the MF would be my bet at this point to be retired by the end of the year.  However, some of these sets may not be around by fall, and the FO Tie would be one of those sets i'd predict becoming scarcer and scarcer over the next few months.

2 minutes ago, feed said:

You guys actually like 75101?  I built one and I didn’t think it was anything special. RRP seems way high, such that even a 30% discount didn’t feel value, figs are meh and we’re likely to see a squadron of Ties over the next few years. 

Overpriced and underwhelming. Avoiding it based on bad experience with 9492.

4 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

There are ways one can get around the gate.. 

Also, I think this is a set that reaches 120ish in a few years.  Easy doubling...at current prices, but it will probably rank 3rd or 4th in terms of "net potential" for FA sets.  As these first wave Force Awakens sets go, and Episode 8 comes into play, I suspect we will see some of these sets do well and this is definitely one of them. 

Really, the only set from the first wave of FA sets I see sticking around for a while is the Millennium Falcon.  I could see that extending well into the Episode 8 Force Friday and then being retired next year.  I doubt they make another MF for episode 8, but a new tie fighter that is different from this variation could be a possibility, but I suspect we will see new ship designs for Ep8 and Ep9.  I'm not sure how they will handle that one, because with the Han Solo movie coming in 2018, clearly a Millennium Falcon will be a part of that film, so maybe a minor refresh will occur at that point with some minor update of the minis. So, all the sets but the MF would be my bet at this point to be retired by the end of the year.  However, some of these sets may not be around by fall, and the FO Tie would be one of those sets i'd predict becoming scarcer and scarcer over the next few months.

The forum will blow up if MF starts disappearing toward the holidays.

• Like 1

Val, - just curious, what bad experience did you have with 9492? I know the price has come down (I assume in part because of the FO Tie), but I absolutely cleaned up with 9492. Those sold for $150 Christmas 2014. 

Even at $120 NOW, at MSRP one would still be making money with it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, biking_tiger said:

I don't play games with Amazon (anymore). 

I did last year with Poe's x-wing when I was scoring them at BAM when they had BOGO50% off, and instantly doubled my money on those through amazon on a duplicate sales item that wasn't gated, but yeah, I usually play it safe.

10 minutes ago, biking_tiger said:

I'm more concerned (as a small timer) with Amazon's gate then 75095. 

The current availability of the 75095 UCS TIE Fighter will definitely be a factor in keeping the prices down. Just like the current availability of FO TIE Fighter keeps the price increase of the 9492 down. Most consumers look for the cheapest option when they want to buy something and they will consider alternatives when the price-difference becomes too big. After all, why pay 100+ for a new 9492 Tie Fighter if you can buy a new 75101 FO Tie Fighter for around 60 ? The average consumer won't care much about the difference in colour when the size and shape of the two sets are nearly identical.

1 minute ago, Achilles said:

Val, - just curious, what bad experience did you have with 9492? I know the price has come down (I assume in part because of the FO Tie), but I absolutely cleaned up with 9492. Those sold for $150 Christmas 2014. 

Currently selling at UK eBay at £60, UK retail was £50.  Assuming an ave 30% discount on buy in, it’s not exactly a loser, but still.  

9 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

The forum will blow up if MF starts disappearing toward the holidays.

Yeah, it will.  But, I think that is one set that will be around past 1 year and extend into 2.  I just don't see them refreshing that set for Ep8.  Only Han Solo would be absent, and Rey, Chewie, BB8, and R2 can be in other sets.  So, I think it's going to be around for 2 years.  Plus, this is one set, that rarely gets discounted, which leaves me to believe it is sticking around

The rest of the FA sets, are getting discounted via amazon, and having clearance events around them at walmarts, which is usually a sign.  I definitely think the FO transporter, TIE, and Snowspeeder are gonzo come November.  I read some reports of people finding Kylo's ship on clearance, so I suspect that may go as well.  However, I havent' heard any such things in regards to the MF.  So, I think we will see it go beyond this year. 

wow wow wow.... before this forum really explodes, what are you guys observing that lead you to believe MF may disappear soon? From what I am seeing here in Canada, MF is still selling like hot cakes. I can only find it in a handful of stores that have it on shelves. 

2 minutes ago, tacsniper said:

wow wow wow.... before this forum really explodes, what are you guys observing that lead you to believe MF may disappear soon? From what I am seeing here in Canada, MF is still selling like hot cakes. I can only find it in a handful of stores that have it on shelves. 

No observance, there's just no guarantee it's staying.

1 hour ago, inversion said:

Regarding Kwik-E, it totally does not fit the modulars. It is a silly cartoony building, putting them into the same scene is highly disrupting and looks pathetic.

What looks really silly is smaug perched on the grand emporium.  Or batman AND spiderman duelling on a rooftop! Blasphemy to all things modular!

3 hours ago, Achilles said:

RRP was 64.99 euros and I got mine for 52 odd after they had retired. It was all I could do to sell for 100 so not a success story when compared with 9493. There´s been worse but I am avoiding the new one as it doesn´t sell anything like as well as MF or x wings.

57 minutes ago, Val-E said:

RRP was 64.99 euros and I got mine for 52 odd after they had retired. It was all I could do to sell for 100 so not a success story when compared with 9493. There´s been worse but I am avoiding the new one as it doesn´t sell anything like as well as MF or x wings.

They're selling for 76 euros (plus shipping) on ebay.fr. I'd say Star Wars isn't the same kind of draw in Europe, but it's pretty darn popular where I am (south of France) based on the toys/books/magazines I see in stores. Too bad our suitcases are already full!