Retiring Soon - open speculation

OK from what gregpj said on the one mscheaf mentioned that was not a box change that was a different product.

There is a difference between a obsoletion and replacement (those are not our terms but they are printing and fulfillment terms) and updating the box art under the same sku.  It makes complete sense that it would be easier to obsolete the part and replace it with a new upc and product than trying to refresh the old one (even if all contents are identical).

But I will stay with that I am wrong and mscheaf is right.

Hope that makes him happy.

He can get back to telling us the town hall and r2 and everything else is not retiring. :)

• Like 3

So now that that is out of the way can someone explain WHY changing box is a valid reason to stop making a set that has been out for less than a year??????

*** PURE SPECULATION ***

Hmm, maybe not stop but postpone ?  If Disney insisted on paying for new boxes with their brand, wouldn't TLG need to stop producing the sets until the new boxes were designed and mass produced ?  Also, this would give them the chance to clear out all of the old boxes by giving discounts.  Once the new boxes are done, the discounts and Sold Out signs can be removed

That would cause chaos for sure

• Like 3

I cannot find it to give you the link but last year I wrote a very long response to why they do not change the box even for a small logo in the design.

I do not see them redoing any boxes.  Anything can happen but my job is printing & fulfillment and you would not believe the number of steps and administrative work it would require to do something like that.  In a world where it is a one off job sure change it and go at it very quick.  But in a muti billion dollar corporation it is much more involved than that. Inventory numbers, versions, quality control, the list could go on for ever of issues...  It is not worth the administrative effort to them.

Was this the post you were referring to?

http://community.brickpicker.com/topic/11319-10221-super-star-destroyer/page-114#entry298307

• Like 1

*** PURE SPECULATION ***

Hmm, maybe not stop but postpone ?  If Disney insisted on paying for new boxes with their brand, wouldn't TLG need to stop producing the sets until the new boxes were designed and mass produced ?  Also, this would give them the chance to clear out all of the old boxes by giving discounts.  Once the new boxes are done, the discounts and Sold Out signs can be removed

That would be something. But not impossible.

However, I think Disney does not want to present "old and chewed" sets. They want to start this endeavour with a bang! So new big sets that spikes new interest.

Edited by Ciglione

Thanks appreciate it.  Your a miracle worker Scotty. :)

Yes that was it.  At the time it looks like Ed Mack and 7 others liked what I had to say.

After rereading it the poly bag having a UPC update ties to what I said back then.

I'll stick with I lost though so we can move along.

*** PURE SPECULATION ***

funny my friend and I were just talking about this earlier today.  It is not something out of the realm of possibility with Disney.  Disney gets what it wants.

At the risk of this being deleted... Who gives a ____?

What does it matter if the box art changes? At the worst, a buyer might double check they're buying the product they really want. And the flip side is that "collectors" of unopened sets might buy both since they look different.

I have serious doubts that Lego plans "Retirement" of a set based on box art. Mods, feel free to delete all this ____ from this thread. I'll get my post count up past 1500 another way! (if I'm not mistaken, at 1500 my forum avatar changes.. I'm not a fan of the robot minifig for some reason).

At the risk of this being deleted... Who gives a ____?

What does it matter if the box art changes? At the worst, a buyer might double check they're buying the product they really want. And the flip side is that "collectors" of unopened sets might buy both since they look different.

I have serious doubts that Lego plans "Retirement" of a set based on box art. Mods, feel free to delete all this ____ from this thread. I'll get my post count up past 1500 another way! (if I'm not mistaken, at 1500 my forum avatar changes.. I'm not a fan of the robot minifig for some reason).

I agree that I think Lego has a plan and they are running it.  I do not think Disney will make them put down everything for a box art change.  I think they will make them say within 24 months we want it all redone.  Well guess what most sets go within 24 months anyways.

• Like 1

Neither are stupid enough to lose money by not selling over this hypothetical issue and you would expect forward planning to have taken place. A staggered replacement is the most likely result - except for sets that may retire ahead of what is expected - Sandcrawler, I am looking at you.

Edited by valenciaeric

Disney.  Seriously.

When the Lego exec said recently the Star Wars line is with Lego forever...

I would think he means we will do whatever Disney wants us to do to ensure that it never leaves.

That's what I thought. A new movie will be a big celebration. With new sets. No recycled ones with an additional sticker of the trademark owner on the box.

Didn't all of the Disney Cars sets go from blue box to white?  Or maybe vice versa?

I thought it was from blue to red, or vice versa.

I think what's happened with the maersk ship is almost unprecedented.  A set spends all its life at limit 2, then gets marked as retiring soon and limit raised to 5?  Adds credence to the idea that Lego uses the retiring soon label to drive sales.  Poor maersk ship.  There's a lesson here for Lego about stickers.  Seriously guys.  How hard would it have been to just print the darn container pieces?

• Like 2

I think what's happened with the maersk ship is almost unprecedented.  A set spends all its life at limit 2, then gets marked as retiring soon and limit raised to 5?  Adds credence to the idea that Lego uses the retiring soon label to drive sales.  Poor maersk ship.  There's a lesson here for Lego about stickers.  Seriously guys.  How hard would it have been to just print the darn container pieces?

If they print the pieces, the price goes up and they even further limit their pool of buyers. It's a niche product, that's all.

Are buyers even aware of how many stickers are in a set before they purchase?  I just think it's a niche product.  Very nice set, but not for all buyers.

No, I highly doubt your average person who is interested in this set and saying, "wow, this is great, I'd buy it right now if those logos were printed, but since they're stickers, I'm not interested."

• Like 3