Retiring Soon - open speculation

Why surprising? One of the most frustrating things about building Lego imo is applying the stickers of a set properly. I would get depressed if I'd look at the EEE sticker sheet. And if you put it on display, after x time, you can peal off the stickers, buy a new sticker sheet and start over. Would have been much more attractive if they just added printed parts and made it just a bit more expensive.

At Europe, the EEE was sold out last time I checked so I believe this one is out the door.

Amen to that. The 80's called, they want their multi brick stickers back.

• Like 1

Would it be so hard to design and print a new Disney friendly box???

No we have to retire everything. In all seriousness we know Lego doesn't reprint boxes unless their is a typo. Seeing how they have used boxes with retired sets advertised on the back, I doubt they will change that as well. My assumption is they stay in circulation until their scheduled retirement and slowly vanish away.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Brickpicker mobile app

No we have to retire everything. In all seriousness we know Lego doesn't reprint boxes unless their is a typo. Seeing how they have used boxes with retired sets advertised on the back, I doubt they will change that as well. My assumption is they stay in circulation until their scheduled retirement and slowly vanish away.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Brickpicker mobile app

I disagree. If you look at the printing on Lego boxes around the UPC code there are slight differences over time. It's like they increment one of the product numbers every so often.

Adding a small Disney logo to the boxes (like with the new Tie Fighter) wouldn't be much different than changing the printing on the box for the product ID

Does SOLD OUT mean retiring soon or possible retirement? 

http://shop.lego.com/en-NL/Cargo-Train-60052

This set (and 60051) and possible EOL was discussed exhaustively last week, and there's more info than just sold out status.  No consensus either way.   Since then, only one more piece of data has come to light.  On the Europe sites, many sets had their status changed.  A huge number went "retired", while a smaller number had status changed to "temporarily out of stock".  Strangely, 60051 and 60052 remained "Sold Out".  With the trains NOT getting the TOOS label, I'm not sure what this means.  YMMV.  

This set (and 60051) and possible EOL was discussed exhaustively last week, and there's more info than just sold out status.  No consensus either way.   Since then, only one more piece of data has come to light.  On the Europe sites, many sets had their status changed.  A huge number went "retired", while a smaller number had status changed to "temporarily out of stock".  Strangely, 60051 and 60052 remained "Sold Out".  With the trains NOT getting the TOOS label, I'm not sure what this means.  YMMV.  

The motor is still 30 days backorderedon LEGO Shop at Home and my guess is that there will be no more of this set until they complete a production run of train motors.

The motor is still 30 days backorderedon LEGO Shop at Home and my guess is that there will be no more of this set until they complete a production run of train motors.

While the same motor is in-stock and widely available across Europe.  Your theory may be right, of course.  Still curious why the "SOLD OUT" label in the EU, while many other sets got the TOOS label?

Full disclosure: I'm no longer a dispassionate observer in this.  Thanks to WM, prices matches, and 40 BOGO+10 at TRU, I'm sitting on 9x 60052 and 3x 60051.  For entirely selfish reasons, I'd love a surprise EOL on these sets.

Edited by diablo2112

While the same motor is in-stock and widely available across Europe.  Your theory may be right, of course.  Still curious why the "SOLD OUT" label in the EU, while many other sets got the TOOS label?

Full disclosure: I'm no longer a dispassionate observer in this.  Thanks to WM, prices matches, and 40 BOGO+10 at TRU, I'm sitting on 9x 60052 and 3x 60051.  For entirely selfish reasons, I'd love a surprise EOL on these sets.

I have been unable to get any at any kind of decent discount (wasted a bunch of gas on all the walmarts that showed stock they didn't have) so I wish it would go away too so I can stop stressing about it. I clearly am only going to get $180-200 which is just nowhere near good enough for me. I wouldn't even consider this set for anything over $140. So please just go away so I can stop worrying about you.

• Like 1

I have been unable to get any at any kind of decent discount (wasted a bunch of gas on all the walmarts that showed stock they didn't have) so I wish it would go away too so I can stop stressing about it. I clearly am only going to get $180-200 which is just nowhere near good enough for me. I wouldn't even consider this set for anything over $140. So please just go away so I can stop worrying about you.

LOL, I hear you. Happy to have these go-away, too :)

$140 was my average buy-in. Did any nearby TRUs have any instock for you? BOGO-40 + 10 results in a $144 end price per unit (while the 8% TRU rewards effectively covers the tax).

$140 was my average buy-in.  Did any nearby TRUs have any instock for you?  BOGO-40 + 10 results in a $144 end price per unit.

Closest TRU is 40 min drive and it's in the ghetto so I don't go unless I know for sure they have something I want. There is no way to know for sure that they have something without driving there so I just don't bother. And $144 plus tax isn't really good enough. I want to make money at some point. I don't want to be holding them for 20 years like I am clearly going to be doing with these 7939 and 7938s.

I disagree. If you look at the printing on Lego boxes around the UPC code there are slight differences over time. It's like they increment one of the product numbers every so often.

Adding a small Disney logo to the boxes (like with the new Tie Fighter) wouldn't be much different than changing the printing on the box for the product ID

I cannot find it to give you the link but last year I wrote a very long response to why they do not change the box even for a small logo in the design.

I do not see them redoing any boxes.  Anything can happen but my job is printing & fulfillment and you would not believe the number of steps and administrative work it would require to do something like that.  In a world where it is a one off job sure change it and go at it very quick.  But in a muti billion dollar corporation it is much more involved than that. Inventory numbers, versions, quality control, the list could go on for ever of issues...  It is not worth the administrative effort to them.

• Like 2

I cannot find it to give you the link but last year I wrote a very long response to why they do not change the box even for a small logo in the design.

I do not see them redoing any boxes.  Anything can happen but my job is printing & fulfillment and you would not believe the number of steps and administrative work it would require to do something like that.  In a world where it is a one off job sure change it and go at it very quick.  But in a muti billion dollar corporation it is much more involved than that. Inventory numbers, versions, quality control, the list could go on for ever of issues...  It is not worth the administrative effort to them.

I agree with you in principle, but i already have boxes with changes over time (other than just typos like Artic Batman).

I agree that changing the photo on the back to modify the modulars for 'correctness', would not happen, but overlaying a disney logo isn't an administrative effort  it would be advertising and brand management paid for by Disney. 

So if we know they can and do change boxes, and we know that Disney would pay to get their logo on boxes, i think it's MORE likely they would start doing that, than what some folks are proposing, that all non-disney stuff is retired.

That being said, i DON'T actually think they'll tack new disney logos on old boxes.

Edited by mudcatsfan

I agree with you in principle, but i already have boxes with changes over time (other than just typos like Artic Batman).

I agree that changing the photo on the back to modify the modulars for 'correctness', would not happen, but overlaying a disney logo isn't an administrative effort  it would be advertising and brand management paid for by Disney. 

So if we know they can and do change boxes, and we know that Disney would pay to get their logo on boxes, i think it's MORE likely they would start doing that, than what some folks are proposing, that all non-disney stuff is retired.

It is more than money, time or effort. It is prestige. The billionaires from Disney do not want second hands. They want to show off with their own product line.  

About Disney and exclusivity; Disney sure loves having their products rare and hard to find... at least for limited time before they disappear.

Look at all the Frozen merchandise like the Dolls, they keep coming with new ones and the other products seem limited runs.

Other thing: their DVD's and Blu-Rays of the Lion King for example are quite hard to find on regular bases. They keep re-releasing new versions in a limited run before they are hard to find again. If they do the same thing with their Starwars license then this could mean rarity all over on future sets.

I hope it makes sence what i wrote above, i'm kinda in a rush at the moment. 

"Well, gotta go now, how am I supposed to send this thing out?" :P

Edited by hendrikdejager
  • Like 3

About Disney and exclusivity; Disney sure loves having their products rare and hard to find... at least for limited time before they disappear.

Look at all the Frozen merchandise like the Dolls, they keep coming with new ones and the other products seem limited runs.

Other thing: their DVD's and Blu-Rays of the Lion King for example are quite hard to find on regular bases. They keep re-releasing new versions in a limited run before they are hard to find again. If they do the same thing with their Starwars license then this could mean rarity all over on future sets.

I hope it makes sence what i wrote above, i'm kinda in a rush at the moment. 

"Well, gotta go now, how am I supposed to send this thing out?" :P

Watch out when passing the bridge over the river!

We have seen different boxes for the same set with the part count mentioned and not mentioned. Does it really cost them more to print a box than the R+D time to create a new model. ISD, AT AT etc are popular play sets. Why be without these cash cows and only have small sets until the new ones come in 6 months - it costs Disney money too from lost royalties.

Sorry but I need a Little more convincing to believe this one.

What about the Tie Fighter polybag that went from Darth Vader logo to Darth Maul logo?

What about the Tie Fighter polybag that went from Darth Vader logo to Darth Maul logo?

Dude, don't you have a Cargo train to chase down for $99?

But since I was curious, if you check the pictures of the back of the polybag, new item # and new UPC.

Original ...

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/like/171687708946?clk_rvr_id=783879255854&item=171687708946&lgeo=1&vectorid=229529&rmvSB=true

New ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEGO-STAR-WARS-8028-TIE-FIGHTER-SHIP-AIRCRAFT-44-PCS-NEW-IN-POLYBAG-BAGGIE-RARE-/230961577485

It was apparently a pretty popular little thing too...

http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/8028_Mini_TIE_Fighter

I am having my medal cast as we speak

I hope it looks like this...

post-8090-0-97418300-1424462379_thumb.jp

• Like 1