Retiring Soon - open speculation

Just to add another comment re: the molds: I would bet that they are making more than enough profit from the CMF series alone to justify the creation of the molds, before even selling their first unit of the house. If they didn't, they would not be making a series 2 including a bunch of characters that definitely won't be in the Kwik E Mart set.

Does the house have any significant exclusive parts? It seems to have a bunch of printed tiles and some unusual colors, but other than that?

One other thought: Maybe the house is limit 1 because they are currently producing CMF series 2 and thus can't spare production resources to make the figs for the house at the moment?

Edited by bricketycricket

Who knows regarding the Simpsons house, that's only my speculation and I have no inside information.  Ed mentioned surprises so that was one of my guesses as I thought it would be around at least two or more years, and perhaps it may be.  The Simpsons is a very different theme mostly geared towards AFOLs.

But, if Lego had plans to sell in the US for another year or more, then why lower the limit from 5 to 1 after 1 year in production?  Is it a hot seller like Tumbler?  Even Slave I was limit 2 to begin with and still was last time I checked.

I agree that selling that large of a set for only 1 year doesn't make sense, but if an 18 month run was planned then that's not unreasonable.  If we don't see another production run of Tower of Orthanc, then that will be about an 18 month production window until the last of the 50R4 sets are gone.

FWIW, I purchased a Simpsons house from Target last week and it came with 42R4 seal codes.  Has anyone seen anything more recent and/or purchased one directly from Lego?

Guest TabbyBoy

The 3E seems to have limted appeal which I find surprising. I'm sticking at 5 as this set is a bit risky I think. However, I'll top up if there's a big discount.

The 3E seems to have limted appeal which I find surprising. I'm sticking at 5 as this set is a bit risky I think. However, I'll top up if there's a big discount.

Why surprising? One of the most frustrating things about building Lego imo is applying the stickers of a set properly. I would get depressed if I'd look at the EEE sticker sheet. And if you put it on display, after x time, you can peal off the stickers, buy a new sticker sheet and start over. Would have been much more attractive if they just added printed parts and made it just a bit more expensive.

At Europe, the EEE was sold out last time I checked so I believe this one is out the door.

• Like 1

I said most sets.  There are still some surprises coming.

Do you already know about those surprises? And by surprise you mean retirements of sets people are NOT already speculating about heavily, so it shouldn't be Red 5, Pet Shop, ToO, Palace Cinema or Sydney Opera House - because these are somewhat expected EOL candidates, excluding them as surprises, right?

Do you already know about those surprises? And by surprise you mean retirements of sets people are NOT already speculating about heavily, so it shouldn't be Red 5, Pet Shop, ToO, Palace Cinema or Sydney Opera House - because these are somewhat expected EOL candidates, excluding them as surprises, right?

Forget about it rfish. He will not tell us if he knows about specifics. Which is good. Cause then we (the hoard/horde/herd) will jump on these sets and they will crumble under its own success. 

You have to use your own brain and analyse the market. No guts no glory.

• Like 3

I think that EEE might end up capped at $250. It is a slow seller (for Lego), small seller's market and labelled as retiring soon. Sellers will still make 33-40% but I hoped for a little better as it really is a beautiful ship.

I am very sceptical with potential of EEE, since:

1) there have been many Maersk ships produced in the past, so it is very expected to see more ships in next years, even re-editions;

2) this ship is a disappointment - it doesnt contain classic maersk blue bricks + it is smaller than previous ship (although the original is the biggest Maersk ship);

3) Maersk serie is very risky - look at the train 10219 - unique, first Maersk train, with fast EOL, but the growth was very slow in my opinion...

Thatswhy I bought only few of them.

• Like 1

I am very sceptical with potential of EEE, since:

1) there have been many Maersk ships produced in the past, so it is very expected to see more ships in next years, even re-editions;

2) this ship is a disappointment - it doesnt contain classic maersk blue bricks + it is smaller than previous ship (although the original is the biggest Maersk ship);

3) Maersk serie is very risky - look at the train 10219 - unique, first Maersk train, with fast EOL, but the growth was very slow in my opinion...

Thatswhy I bought only few of them.

You are probably right in what you say. But for me, if it will sell for 200+ euro each, it is good enough.  

OK, here is a theory. All the new Star Wars sets are coming out with Disney branding who are rightfully putting their stamp on all their Star Wars assets. This is no doubt part of a new licensing agreement leading into the new films. Quite possible they also stipulated that existing sets pre Disney branding must be changed (effectively retiring the set) at some future date most likely before the new films are released.

Think about it. R5, R2, MF going or gone no surprises there. But throw in S1, EV, SC and DS all in Oct just prior to a huge new wave of EP7 sets are released.

Would that surprise you? Would that cause just the right amount of chaos?

• Like 5

OK, here is a theory. All the new Star Wars sets are coming out with Disney branding who are rightfully putting their stamp on all their Star Wars assets. This is no doubt part of a new licensing agreement leading into the new films. Quite possible they also stipulated that existing sets pre Disney branding must be changed (effectively retiring the set) at some future date most likely before the new films are released.

Think about it. R5, R2, MF going or gone no surprises there. But throw in S1, EV, SC and DS all in Oct just prior to a huge new wave of EP7 sets are released.

That is exactly what I was thinking/speculating. It is all about prestige. Disney wants their stamp on the Star Wars sets. They own the trademark now. That is why there are so many sales on Cantina and so on. They were released not so long ago!

I believe someone was saying that there were 2 listings in TRU Canada for DS recently. I don't know if it's related but...

Limit for Triple E has also been increased to 5, up from 2. That would support the other evidence that it is a slow seller and Lego is eager to move what is left. I`m sticking with 2 for investment in addition to the 1 I have built, that seems reasonable. Disappointing because it is a fantastic ship, shame that many don`t seem to think so. 

Hard to imagine LEGO could/would just "pull" all the sets missing a Disney logo from the shelves by a certain date like "October". This would not really be doable logistically. What would be possible is that they end production of all non-Disney sets months before the movie release already, so all of them are sold out by the end of the year. But that would also be hard to plan. I think we will most likely see a certain overlap of Disney/non-Disney even at the time of the movie release, but overall I do in fact like the idea of a relative short-term EOL of ALL the SW sets missing the Disney logo.