Retiring Soon - open speculation

I thought folks were reporting at least some seal codes for TH that were mid-2014.  I will admit that it's odd to buy a Lego set in 2014 and find a seal code for last year.  Has anyone had that experience with a set other than TH?  I find it a little hard to believe that TH would be less popular than FB, which lasted almost five years.  It's more expensive, sure, but so much more interesting, and if price were that big a deal with exclusives, I don't think DS would be on year #7.

I thought folks were reporting at least some seal codes for TH that were mid-2014.  I will admit that it's odd to buy a Lego set in 2014 and find a seal code for last year.  Has anyone had that experience with a set other than TH?  I find it a little hard to believe that TH would be less popular than FB, which lasted almost five years.  It's more expensive, sure, but so much more interesting, and if price were that big a deal with exclusives, I don't think DS would be on year #7.

Yep, I just bought a 25R4 TH from B&M, so they have been produced earlier this year.

I thought folks were reporting at least some seal codes for TH that were mid-2014. I will admit that it's odd to buy a Lego set in 2014 and find a seal code for last year. Has anyone had that experience with a set other than TH? I find it a little hard to believe that TH would be less popular than FB, which lasted almost five years. It's more expensive, sure, but so much more interesting, and if price were that big a deal with exclusives, I don't think DS would be on year #7.

My tower bridges from Wal-Mart's screw up in June? We're last year's codes

Toward the end of SSD's run, folks reported getting codes from 2011 via their TRU online orders.  Some old stock they were clearing out, I presume.

I have Town Hall orders coming in from TRU, Wal-Mart and LEGO S@H, so I'll post the seal codes when I get them.  It will probably be sometime next week before I can post them.

When does a line officially become retired? And are these currently retired?

Lone Ranger

Galaxy squad

Monster fighters

I know some old stock is floating around out there of all of these, but our TRU has tons of galaxy squad stuff and I thought it was dead

Remember, "retired" is a specific term referring to product availability from LEGO itself. Once they officially retire a set, none will be sold online or made and shipped to retailers.  You can get the retirement date from a site like brickset.com. However, any out in the wilds will still be there, and as HK mentioned, poor sellers can languish long after official "retirement". A good example of this is Lone Ranger Silver Mine Shootout, which has an official retirement date of Dec 2013, but is still available at many retailers, live and online - nearly a year later. Another "popular" example is Battle at Weathertop, which was retired from LEGO but was still found in stores for months after. 

I don't believe LEGO officially retires a product LINE in swoop, sometimes it takes forever for them to officially retire a set that's long gone. It just kind of happens when all the sets in a line eventually sell out/are stopped being produced. Monster Fighters trickled, Lone Ranger trickled, with a few sets still being produced after a few others retiring, and Galaxy Squad is working the same way.

For example, Star Slicer (70703) is officially retired, but most of the Galaxy Squad line is not. Galaxy Squad seems to be following the pattern of Monster Fighters: They become TRU exclusives after other retailers stop selling them. And we "unofficially" declare a line retired when it becomes obvious they aren't creating more sets for it, which seems to be the case with GS.

For example, if you go to Haunted House on SHOPLEGO, and click on the "Monster Fighters" tag, it will bring you to the main page, telling you Monster Fighters as a theme is no more. Same with Lone Ranger. However, doing the same with a Galaxy Squad set will bring you to 8 remaining sets, 2 of which are call for availability. So with a couple sets already retired, no new ones being released, it's safe to assume the line is being retired. If you look up Lone Ranger Train Chase, it still says "Retiring Soon" even though this set hasn't been avail for sale since December 2013. We all know it is "retired". 

Using Monster Fighters as an example, I suspect TRU will try to blow out the remaining Galaxy Squad stuff during this holiday season. they had a lot of sales on MF things during last years season, and very few sets made it through. I also have a sneaking suspicion that the Castle theme will replace Galaxy Squad as the TRU "exclusive" line going into next year. 

• Like 1

I'm not sure I understand the appeal in stocking up on the modulars anymore.  Fire Brigade will net you 100 bucks a year later after it is retired.  While that is still a great return if you bought it at msrp does anyone else have concerns that modulars returns are only going to get slimmer and slimmer?

• Like 2

I completely agree with sadowsk. The modular line was fantastic in its beginning stages. If you were lucky enough to get cafe corner, it's reasonable to make 1000% profit off it. Because of this the modulars are the most bought sets, but that floods the market and drags the price down... I think profit margins will continue to decrease until it's not worth investing in, and eventually either rebound or the line will be discontinued.

I want to think the above posts are trolling but I don't believe they are.

1. Who pays retail for anything?! If you havnt found a way to not pay retail this includes exclusives I'd start looking into that.

2. Only a hundred bucks on one year is bad to you? Say you buy 20 at at Msrp... According to your math that's a profit of 2 grand in a year. If you are not happy with that then I really don't know what to tell you.

Edited by hxckid88

I want to think the above posts are trolling but I don't believe they are.

1. Who pays retail for anything?! If you havnt found a way to not pay retail this includes exclusives I'd start looking into that.

2. Only a hundred bucks on one year is bad to you? Say you buy 20 at at Msrp... According to your math that's a profit of 2 grand in a year. If you are not happy with that then I really don't know what to tell you.

What if everyone buys 20 of the next modular to make up for the slimmer margins?

What if everyone buys 20 of the next modular to make up for the slimmer margins?

I don't see a correlation. If we are going off brickpicker data the fire brigade is/was most stockpiled set.

The ge is not retired, still available everyone and their mother is buying and is still selling consistently for fifty bucks over retail.

This brings up argument that has been mentioned before of unless we all sell at the exact same time it down matter.

I'll keep buying modulars. You may do as you please.

Incredible ! An ugly set retired one year ago does not sell the same price as a cute set retired 6 years ago ?! I'm shocked !

Otherwise, yeah the new modulars will not reach the price of the cafe corner and the green grocer...

We have few chances to see the potential of another cafe corner (it can happen though... HH for instance), but it's the same with other lego themes, like SW with the famouse UCS millenium falcon (I mean, 6x MSRP ! Come on !).

You'll have to do an investors meeting, close doors and put fire on the building. :devil:

Although I think that lego provides smaller sets with less bricks, which means some disappointing design, and there are some issues with some ABS bricks... so... the sets we already have in stock still have some nice potential IMO. Just a matter of time, as always.

Edited by biniou
  • Like 2

I completely agree with sadowsk. The modular line was fantastic in its beginning stages. If you were lucky enough to get cafe corner, it's reasonable to make 1000% profit off it. Because of this the modulars are the most bought sets, but that floods the market and drags the price down... I think profit margins will continue to decrease until it's not worth investing in, and eventually either rebound or the line will be discontinued.

That is based upon a consumer market that stays stagnant. In 5 years when we are at the modular building X, there will be people that want the GE just like there are people now that want the fire brigade or green grocer. Perhaps you'll have to make your product description in Mandarin by that time, but you will be able to sell it with a nice profit.

• Like 1

I'm not sure I understand the appeal in stocking up on the modulars anymore.  Fire Brigade will net you 100 bucks a year later after it is retired.  While that is still a great return if you bought it at msrp does anyone else have concerns that modulars returns are only going to get slimmer and slimmer?

If I loaded up on modular buildings, I would not be too concerned.  A modular building is a great addition to any city/collection.  I agree with Neosphinx, people will always want to go back and pick up sets they may have missed while in production.  Going forward, it will just be a little easier for them to do so.

I'm sounding like a broken record from another thread, but it's all about patience. A year after it's retired? Maybe I'll go ahead and make $100. The quick grab for cash might cut into my long-term profit, but to each his own. I still find a $100 return on a $150 investment pretty damn good for only a year. But if I wait five years, who knows? Maybe the return won't be worth my capital being tied up that long, but that's why investments should be made with $ I can file away and forget about while it grows.

No, the new modulars will likely never reach anything close to cafe corner money, but they're still solid winners.

• Like 1

The argument against modulars (too many people stocking up on them) is basically an argument against lego investing generally.  It may be true, or become true at some point, but it is an argument against buying any lego for investment purposes, not just the modulars.  I could also make the same argument against, for example, stocks (very, very pricey by historical standards using real, i.e. GAAP earnings, especially if cyclically adjusted), bonds (near record-low yields), or real estate (check out those home prices, once again way exceeding historical norms relative to median income).  When central banks are flooding the world with currencies of all kinds, "cheap" investments are hard to find.  Sadly, Lego does realize that, as evidenced by the new, 30% more expensive SSD, 50% more expensive B-Wing, and so on.  The question becomes, just what do you buy for investment purposes in this sort of environment?  Holding cash only guarantees a slow bleed to inflation.

• Like 3

The argument against modulars (too many people stocking up on them) is basically an argument against lego investing generally. It may be true, or become true at some point, but it is an argument against buying any lego for investment purposes, not just the modulars. I could also make the same argument against, for example, stocks (very, very pricey by historical standards using real, i.e. GAAP earnings, especially if cyclically adjusted), bonds (near record-low yields), or real estate (check out those home prices, once again way exceeding historical norms relative to median income). When central banks are flooding the world with currencies of all kinds, "cheap" investments are hard to find. Sadly, Lego does realize that, as evidenced by the new, 30% more expensive SSD, 50% more expensive B-Wing, and so on. The question becomes, just what do you buy for investment purposes in this sort of environment? Holding cash only guarantees a slow bleed to inflation.

You mean just putting the money under my mattress I would be losing money? No way lol

Disclaimer: this is a joke. .

Thank you folks, in here all week.

You mean just putting the money under my mattress I would be losing money? No way lol

Disclaimer: this is a joke. .

Thank you folks, in here all week.

Well, we've had some recent break-ins in the neighborhood so I would keep my cash under my mattress, except that's where I store the larger lego boxes.  Not only does it save space, but the corrugated cardboard adds an extra layer of cushiony comfort.

• Like 2