Retiring Soon - open speculation

ugh.  well, this is both good and bad. 

bad = the set was still being produced beginning the week of June 2.  There will be no shortage of this set.  One can only imagine how many sealed sets are waiting to be sold on bricklink and ebay after retirement.

good = this 2012 set seems to be very popular if Lego was still making it in early June.

Both my sets from Amazon are 17R4.

Not sure what the big deal is on 6862.  It is officially marked retiring soon.  It could take a while, but it is "retiring soon".  Allocate what you need from this one and move on.  When it officially moves to retired product call it a day.  No need to read tea leaves on this one.  If the SSD had the retiring soon tag most of the thread for that one would be empty.  It is a formal communication from LEGO, take it at face value.   What "soon" means, no one knows but them.  This should provide an indication to finish allocating what you need and call it a day.

• Like 1

Not sure what the big deal is on 6862.  It is officially marked retiring soon.  It could take a while, but it is "retiring soon".  Allocate what you need from this one and move on.  When it officially moves to retired product call it a day.  No need to read tea leaves on this one.  If the SSD had the retiring soon tag most of the thread for that one would be empty.  It is a formal communication from LEGO, take it at face value.   What "soon" means, no one knows but them.  This should provide an indication to finish allocating what you need and call it a day.

At the minimum, I hope it means they are done producing them and it will be done when the stock clears out.  Of course, they could always run into the mystery pallet or corner of the warehouse full of retired product, like they did with the Catcycle Chase.

The good news (so far) for #6862 is that China isn't copying the whole set (yet).  Granted, you can buy pallet loads of counterfeit Wonder Women and Super Men on eBay, but the situation hasn't reached the level of Emma's Horse Trailer or Wolverine's Chopper Showdown (either one, "MISB", for ~$18 with free shipping from China).  Perhaps the counterfeiters are clever enough to wait for EOL before they start up production, so as to maximize their profits...

Superman VS Power Armor Lex 6862

Not sure if we need a thread for this but it's on it's last legs. Lego shows sold out and retiring soon.

Amazon has this for $18.99 and I think it will get wiped out soon enough.

We all knew this was going to be gone soon but may have caught many by surprise as some expected to have more time to jump on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

6862 - LEGO Shop at Home ~~~ Out of stock, expected ship date 24 Aug 2014

retiring soon sign up! nice~~~~ I almost parted mine out... guess not then lol

Amazon's price on this set came back these past few days... but they still have them in stock   :heat:

• Like 1

retiring soon sign up! nice~~~~ I almost parted mine out... guess not then lol

Amazon's price on this set came back these past few days... but they still have them in stock   :heat:

I think these small Super Heroes sets are always best kept MISB, rather than parted out.  Once you're selling loose figures, you're in direct competition with the 100,000 fake Chinese Wonder Woman (etc.) minifigures on eBay.  For collectors who want to make sure they get the real thing, the sealed Lego box should be reassuring.  Still, the legions of counterfeits flooding eBay have convinced me not to buy any more Super Heroes sets until the fake sellers start getting banned.  If you want to help in that effort, check out the brickpicker counterfeit reporting thread:

http://community.brickpicker.com/topic/2804-knockoff-brands-bootleg-bricks-mimicked-minifigures/page-25

Do you guys think that Pet Shop will retire this year?

The majority and consensus on here is no.  Most believe that it will retire after the GE so sometime next year.  Of course, we really don't know but base our information on history and availability across the major retailers.

A few people on here speculate that it will retire this year and have warned people to stock up.  I have one for my personal collection and won't be accumulating any more until next year.

That being said, if you think it will retire next year start to stockpile it now.  It could start to vanish quicker than you expect.  The GE dropped off Amazon pretty suddenly and never came back.  The Pet Shop could do the same next summer, or sooner.  Those who nearly missed out on the GE have been fortunate; it has come back off and on but you have to be monitoring for it.

Best chance to get this set at a discount is Shop at Home 2-3x VIP, or better yet, deals on gift cards to Target, TRU, etc.  You can also keep an eye out on Amazon Wareshouse Deals (AWD).  A few members have picked up some Pet Shops from there recently, and at a nice discount.

The majority and consensus on here is no.  Most believe that it will retire after the GE so sometime next year.  Of course, we really don't know but base our information on history and availability across the major retailers.

A few people on here speculate that it will retire this year and have warned people to stock up.  I have one for my personal collection and won't be accumulating any more until next year.

That being said, if you think it will retire next year start to stockpile it now.  It could start to vanish quicker than you expect.  The GE dropped off Amazon pretty suddenly and never came back.  The Pet Shop could do the same next summer, or sooner.  Those who nearly missed out on the GE have been fortunate; it has come back off and on but you have to be monitoring for it.

Best chance to get this set at a discount is Shop at Home 2-3x VIP, or better yet, deals on gift cards to Target, TRU, etc.  You can also keep an eye out on Amazon Wareshouse Deals (AWD).  A few members have picked up some Pet Shops from there recently, and at a nice discount.

Thank you for exhaustive answer!

Unfortunately Target, TRU or Amazon are not options for me, living in Poland.

I just got one PS as a filler ( ;) ) for 21110 at Shop at Home - and I was just wondering if I should act fast if I want to get more of those.

Thank you for exhaustive answer!

Unfortunately Target, TRU or Amazon are not options for me, living in Poland.

I just got one PS as a filler ( ;) ) for 21110 at Shop at Home - and I was just wondering if I should act fast if I want to get more of those.

Oops, sorry about that.  I didn't notice your location.

Here is a great chart that biniou posted in the GE thread: http://community.brickpicker.com/topic/8285-10211-grand-emporium-eol/page-87#entry312833

Hopefully this helps.

Guest TabbyBoy

Excuse me for being a bit "behind" but, I just noticed on Lego GB that the following are now retired finally:

7938 - Passenger train (I have 15)

3185 - Friends Summer Riding Camp (I have none as my money is on the Dolphin Cruiser)

70006 - Chima Cragger's Command Ship (Don't do Chima!)

70709 - Galaxy Squad Galactic Titan (No comment)

My gut instinct is that the Pet Shop will retire before the Grand Emporium