Retiring Soon - open speculation

That does not promise much. When you look at the value development of that set.

That's a terrible analogy though.

6212 (regular X-wing) is a $50 set that has been reproduced several times and completely improved upon WIDELY available right now at all retailers for 49.99 and cheaper with a coupon.

If Lego has been willing to keep the Death Star on its shelves (and as we now know from production codes) still producing them and selling them out, then its got great demand. 

For a set to have great demand for SIX years means it will have great demand in coming years, (unless this is all truly a house of cards and the only people buying it are investors) #bubble

That's a terrible analogy though.

6212 (regular X-wing) is a $50 set that has been reproduced several times and completely improved upon WIDELY available right now at all retailers for 49.99 and cheaper with a coupon.

If Lego has been willing to keep the Death Star on its shelves (and as we now know from production codes) still producing them and selling them out, then its got great demand. 

For a set to have great demand for SIX years means it will have great demand in coming years, (unless this is all truly a house of cards and the only people buying it are investors) #bubble

sound logic here, too.  the question is, how long can Lego keep a set out until their customer-base has been saturated with the set?  so far, at least 6 years in the case of the DS, but it has to be reaching a point where there are diminishing returns for keeping it around.  it takes up a lot of space that could be used to sell another large set to all the Lego customers who have already purchased the DS.  

so many variables.  

That does not promise much. When you look at the value development of that set.

You can't compare x-wing sets with most of other SW sets, because there is always a X-wing set (about 60$ MSRP) available, anytime.

The 6212 has been replaced by the 9493 which is obiously nearly the same vehicule.

Middle-range x-wing are not good investement because there is always one set on shelves: it's a best seller and LEGO can't afford not to have one in their catalog.

Note: it's the same with the MF and anakin's jedi interceptor. Not good investments unless you can have some with a great discount and hope people will search for the old version.

Just pointing out if there was ever a set thats been out 6 years like the DS.

Perhaps the point then is that Lego views a midrange Xwing and a High End Death Star as an 'Evergreen' product.

They'll either leave it out there for a very long time, or (gasp) replace it like for like as soon as its done.

!!!!!

You can't compare x-wing sets with most of other SW sets, because there is always a X-wing set (about 60$ MSRP) available, anytime.

The 6212 has been replaced by the 9493 which is obiously nearly the same vehicule.

Middle-range x-wing are not good investement because there is always one set on shelves: it's a best seller and LEGO can't afford not to have one in their catalog.

Note: it's the same with the MF and anakin's jedi interceptor. Not good investments unless you can have some with a great discount and hope people will search for the old version.

I know. I was just being sarcastic. I have two death stars myself. I would not have bought them if I would not believe in them as investment.

I prefer the SSD also over the DS. That is why I will stick to two DS's and increase my number of SSD's.

I like the 7965. It is a good replacement for the 10179. People with small wallets will not buy a 10179. But they can maybe afford a 7965.

• Like 1

The 7939 is still not "hard to find" here so I'm not sure it's retiring right now.

Well, summer sales begin tomorrow... let's wait and see if something happens (even if I highly doubt there will be some discount on this set or on the 7938, and if so you will have to be as fast as lightening to be able to get the few remaining discounted boxes of these sets)

The 7939 is still not "hard to find" here so I'm not sure it's retiring right now.

Well, summer sales begin tomorrow... let's wait and see if something happens (even if I highly doubt there will be some discount on this set or on the 7938, and if so you will have to be as fast as lightening to be able to get the few remaining discounted boxes of these sets)

I am wondering if the summer sales are also applicable to lego. Mostly it concerns clothing. But I will keep my eyes open and when I see them on sale I will ride the lightning!

Chima Lion Chi Temple now sold out on S@H in the US. Sort of a short shelf life on that one.

I agree, it came and went really quick.  It's been out maybe a year.  According to Brickset, less.

United States 01 Aug 13 - 23 May 14  $119.99
United Kingdom 27 Jul 13 - 05 Jun 14 

Mixels Series 2 is going EOL Now... not even one month

I don't think these are EOL - Call to Check Availability is a predecessor to OOS, not necessarily retirement. I am fairly certain the first production run is gone, but there will be more. The first Series acted in a similar manner.

Nice spot on their OOS. It amazes me how popular these guys are...

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

I laughed at these but my son loves them and is missing a few here and there.   I now need to pounce and finish off his collection so I don't get in a trap in the secondary market.  I can definitely imagine a scenario where they are all sold out at Xmas and parents will shell out $15-20 per pack of the one they need they can no longer get.  I'm not going to stockpile them but I don't think it is nuts if someone does.  They are a breeze to ship and could be easy money.

• Like 3

With Series 1 retiring, I think the originals will be $15-20 before Christmas, especially if these subsequent series continue to be popular.  I think they will be - both Series 2 and 3 have some really slick colors and builds coming up.  This will fuel demand for S1...

Who here has any Series 1 socked away?