Retiring Soon - open speculation

Is this some sort of reverse psychology or do you really care about people financial situations? ;)

Lol... You are on to me...

In all seriousness, I was that guy when I joined in the site. You get caught up in the frenzy and next thing you know you have a huge CC bill on your hands. Sets retire all the time and you can't buy everything , so just stick to you plan and budget as much as you can ( I know , I know it is not easy here ).

• Like 3

In all seriousness, I was that guy when I joined in the site. You get caught up in the frenzy and next thing you know you have a huge CC bill on your hands. Sets retire all the time and you can't buy everything , so just stick to you plan and budget as much as you can ( I know , I know it is not easy here ).

for sure. And one must take into account there new ebay expense of thirty cents. I havnt posted in a few days or subscribed to daily dealscause I need to just refresh batteries a bit and get away from it. Then the ebay thing happened and I realized if I posted it would just read big four letter words. Adapt or perish.

I remember some people reporting the "retiring soon" sign at their local stores a couple of months before fire brigade and mini modulars disappeared.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

I and few other BP members saw the retiring soon signs on Fire Brigade/ Minimodular / and City Garage sets last year at one of the MA store (and that store only)

Looks like some stores are allowed to release those information.

I will say take your own risk, but I regret I did not get more of Fire Brigade and Mini modular sets.

Maybe time to stock R2...

I and few other BP members saw the retiring soon signs on Fire Brigade/ Minimodular / and City Garage sets last year at one of the MA store (and that store only)

Looks like some stores are allowed to release those information.

I will say take your own risk, but I regret I did not get more of Fire Brigade and Mini modular sets.

Maybe time to stock R2...

I saw an early RS sign on the Fire Brigade at a Lego store in Los Angeles last year. 

Still paying off my credit card bill from Christmas 2012 >_> that is one lesson I don't care to relearn in the near future.  So hard to pass on some of these $150+ sets though, especially the ones I see still on shelves.  I saw the SSD at a nearby Barnes and Noble just this past weekend.  Couldn't bring myself to charge $400 to my CC though.  I know I'll kick myself later for it but right now I'm at ease.

1 thing some people don`t seem to pay attention to, or  at least not when they get caught up in the moment of a good sale, is CC interest. Interest rates are a B*, and having to pay any of that over time just takes away from the deal you may have gotten. If you really go in over your head, you`ll end up cancelling out the deal you got, then owing more on top of that. Don`t do it please! There is no reason to, it`s stupid and only costs yourself money. Gotta be smart and make sure you can cover everything, and have money left over. No liquid cashflow is not usually a smart move, and definitely not when you owe on cards. 

Still paying off my credit card bill from Christmas 2012 >_> that is one lesson I don't care to relearn in the near future.  So hard to pass on some of these $150+ sets though, especially the ones I see still on shelves.  I saw the SSD at a nearby Barnes and Noble just this past weekend.  Couldn't bring myself to charge $400 to my CC though.  I know I'll kick myself later for it but right now I'm at ease.

SSD at a B&******?

I'd only ever seen Death Star and R2-D2 from the large sets. What area of the country are you in, and have others seen the SSD there?

Go join the B&****** Kids Club. They'll send you a coupon for 30% off one kids item, and Lego toys qualify. Then order a bunch of B&****** gift cards on Cardpool at 10% off (20% if you're lucky). Take the coupon and the gift cards to that B&****** and buy the SSD for $260-ish depending on your state's sales tax. ??? Profit.

You're welcome.

• Like 1

1 thing some people don`t seem to pay attention to, or  at least not when they get caught up in the moment of a good sale, is CC interest. Interest rates are a B*, and having to pay any of that over time just takes away from the deal you may have gotten. If you really go in over your head, you`ll end up cancelling out the deal you got, then owing more on top of that. Don`t do it please! There is no reason to, it`s stupid and only costs yourself money. Gotta be smart and make sure you can cover everything, and have money left over. No liquid cashflow is not usually a smart move, and definitely not when you owe on cards.

THIS!!! Never ever carry a balance on a credit card. Pay it off every single month. If you can't afford to pay it off, then don't buy the item. Credit card debt will destroy your investments and your finances.

• Like 2

I've gotten into the habit of paying credit cards as soon as a charge shows up, easier to manage cash and you don't have any nasty surprises at the end of the month.  The only reason I charge anything is because of cashback and other perks... make the cards work for you instead of being a slave to their ridiculous interest rates.

• Like 1

THIS!!! Never ever carry a balance on a credit card. Pay it off every single month. If you can't afford to pay it off, then don't buy the item. Credit card debt will destroy your investments and your finances.

Exactly! If you can`t afford to invest in any commodity, don`t do it. If you end up neck deep in debt, you`ll wish you hadn`t. 

Well, there are them 0% APR promos on purchases and balance transfers...

Carry any outstanding balance is pointless. I can`t think of any scenario where doing so would be superior to not. Only invest what you can in anything. Making money should come second to shelter, heat, food, etc. Sounds obvious but it amazes how many people still dive into things with the pretence that doing so will make them rich/better off. In the end they end up far worse more often than not. Crazy. 

• Like 1

Exactly! If you can`t afford to invest in any commodity, don`t do it. If you end up neck deep in debt, you`ll wish you hadn`t. 

Carry any outstanding balance is pointless. I can`t think of any scenario where doing so would be superior to not. Only invest what you can in anything. Making money should come second to shelter, heat, food, etc. Sounds obvious but it amazes how many people still dive into things with the pretence that doing so will make them rich/better off. In the end they end up far worse more often than not. Crazy. 

Consider how small businesses operate. They usually do it via loans. It's a matter of opportunity cost and risk factor. Yes, you can do it risk free, and spend only the disposable income. Or you can take interest-free loan, saving your disposable income as a self-guarantee. I.e. if i have $1000 stashed, and I have an option to borrow $1000 for 0% for a year, as long as i don't spend that stashed $1000, your risk is way lower than just straight-borrowing $1000 without backing

• Like 2