Hello from Canada!!

Hi my Name is Chris Wedge from halifax ******.s. Started collecting lego when i was 6yrs. then in 1999 when after many years of want star wars lego to be produced i started collecting them till 2004 and a few sets here and there afterwards. looking to eventually sell off my sets due to personal issues, ill post a list with prices in the general buy and sell forum if anyone interested just give me a shout.

thanks all

I'm in Toronto and look over the border enviously at the lower regular prices and many deals (and free shipping) available to our southern neighbours. The Canadian Toys R US, Targets and Walmarts simply do not match their US counterparts in terms of regular prices, discounts and sales, and don't get me started on Amazon. A friend of mine is set up with a Buffalo operation that provides a US shipping address for Canadians so they can have US items shipped there and held until the periodic shuffle off to Buffalo to pick them up and bring them back across the border. He is charged $5 an item for this service. Consider how nominal this fee is for the Death Star or Super Star Destroyer, both of which retail for $400 in the US but are $500 in Canada.

Every once in a blue moon I get lucky with the Eglinton TRU and their special clearance tables. Best deal was the Obi-wan starfighter which they sold for 65% off at $45 Canadian. Got a few of those and its one of my best returns already despite being one of the least liked of the ultimate Star Wars line.

There's also a chain of stores called Toys Toys Toys that has spread its tentacles around Toronto. As best I can tell its business model is to clear out Toys R Us of their lego sets and then resell them to the gullible public at 30% more than the standard TRU price. They are always advertising that their sets are "on sale" at this price, which must be on the verge of false advertising. I would normally never even enter any of their premises except that the TD Centre downtown location appears to be alone in the chain for being willing to discount. When they want to clear out underperformers they can discount like no one's business. I've picked up a few of those minecraft sets for $35 each, and got the Star Wars Malevolence for only $60. Set 7347 (with 3 build options involving a flatbed truck and a sportscar) is on now for only $60 despite having 805 pieces. 

Anyone else know any good places for sales in Canada generally or Toronto in particular?

I've had good experiences with Playvalue toys.  Shipping to Ontario is usually reasonable.

TRU still has the 10215 in stock (at least the last time I checked) and were clearing out their inventory just after Christmas at 50% off.  I think I got them for $44.99 + tax, and despite it not being an amazing UCS set, it is hard not to make a profit with prices like that!

I'm willing to bet that they'll have this set at 40-50% off again in the future, unless they run out of stock.

Guest ph4tb0i

hahahaha, toys toys toys is awesome for their ridiculously high markup in Canada. I still remembered when they first opened their shops back in the 90s. Used to always look at the window for the Megazord/Dragonzord... hahahaha

I use CBI to get my things over since lego isn't the only thing I buy from the states anyways. Pay 108USD for a yearly membership then 1.80 per package (compared to 5.95 a package), and I love it since their customer service is great and I can hold things there for as long as I want. Pays for itself after 26 packages, which my family has reached easily 2 months into signing up. It's gotten to the point that I ship my Amazon UK stuff there too to avoid having the UPS hassles altogether. 

As for good Lego stores, one of my favourites for looking for discontinued stuff is Lasting Toys. You probably won't find stuff there that you can resell for a "huge" profit but they're great for finding discontinued sets that you want at a good price. 

Hi my Name is Chris Wedge from halifax ******.s. Started collecting lego when i was 6yrs. then in 1999 when after many years of want star wars lego to be produced i started collecting them till 2004 and a few sets here and there afterwards. looking to eventually sell off my sets due to personal issues, ill post a list with prices in the general buy and sell forum if anyone interested just give me a shout.

thanks all

Welcome to the forums, Chris!

Someone told me to go check out Lasting Toys in Mississauga and I did...not cheap (retail or above) but good selection of discontinued sets as ph4tb0i mentioned.  I picked up a couple magnet sets (3minifigs)...this was back in Mar when I first started Lego investing.  I'm sure if I go back now I'll have more knowledge of which sets have more 'value'.         

Welcome...It's always a sad thing to send off your LEGO's but no hard feelings against you. I completely understand that sometimes, you just have to let some things go. If you are interested in selling ASAP, you can post some pictures for members to take a look at, and hopefully get them sold! 

Should have added a few other favourite locations of mine. Loblaws Real Canadian Superstores in the GTA are known for fairly regular clearance sales of current lego sets, often at 50% off. Most recent example was the green Star Wars jedi starfighter and the ewok attack, both of which were on for 50% off on a weekend I happened to walk in and which price I haven't seen since. Also in this league is Winners. While their toy selection varies and changes rapidly, they frequently have lego sets and when they do they are almost always 50% off or more. I got a small legion of Hoth soldiers just last year at $6 a box, and I've seen Darth Maul's interceptor and the podracers in recent months. Interestingly, Loblaws carries a good range of lego themes all the time while I rarely see non Star Wars sets at Winners.

Some Winners are better than others though, as there are a few that only carry toys at Christmas. As for Loblaws, their standard stores don't carry toys, just the Real Canadian Superstore locations.

Guest eightbrick

Welcome to Brickpicker. I'm also Canadian :D, now we can talk about hockey and snow together *air high five*. Good luck with the selling business!

You can post pictures by clicking "More Review Options" next to the post button. 

Right below the box where you put your reply is a section to "Attach Files". Just click to choose it an voala! We can see your pictures.

Yeah, just watch it with how many you attach or how much memory they use. This time around in the current forum setup, you are limited to five megabytes for attachments. If you have a lot of images or rather not worry about restrictions, create a gallery, upload them there, then link to them here. Everyone can see them all the same and you don't have to worry about any kind of restrictions.

if anyone is interested check out my members gallery

You're getting rid of all that?! That is a massive collection, Sueonius!! You kept it in amazingly organized condition. You have it all! Cloud City, AT-AT, old Jabba's Palace, a bunch of those old minifigure colleciton packs, Bounty Hunter Pursuit, etc. SO MUCH!!