USPS balloon fees??

Assuming you used Priority Mail and that it was domestic?

In cases like this Parcel Select is the way to go if using USPS because the charge is based only on weight on distance. 

99% of everything we ship is relatively small, so we usually use USPS, but I find for many of the bigger/heavier items that we end up using Fedex. Fedex usually comes out a few dollars less expensive for the bigger items. We almost never use UPS. I'm almost certain in some of these cases that Fedex then in turn pays USPS to transport the item...

Also, there are a few websites out there that will compare shipping rates for you...just search and pick one. They're all about the same, but remember the "estimates" produced are exactly that.

Not sure about USPS but last Christmas Fed Ex tacked on some huge charges on some packages I shipped. Apparently when the website says dimensions are optional, they really aren't! I called them on it and they actually refunded me the money.

USPS, on the other hand, accepted a package from me in NY and shipped it to California. Once the package was in California, someone decided that based on the dimensions of the package postage was short around $2.00. So what did they do? They sent the freaking package back to NY! It turned out to be a terrible situation bc the single mom I was sending it to in California NEEDED it for Christmas and now that wasnt gonna happen. I felt so terrible I refunded her payment and over night shipped a replacement.

Sorry for going off on a tangent here. Your inquiry just stirred up some horrible memories. Now I also throw the dimensions in when I am getting a postage quote on line.

Sorry for going off on a tangent here. Your inquiry just stirred up some horrible memories. Now I also throw the dimensions in when I am getting a postage quote on line.

Agreed...it only takes 1 bad experience to realize that you should do this for every item that you send.

Balloon rate exist for both Parcel and Priority and there is no way around it. Above mention that Parcel Select doesn't measure size is incorrect. When printing labels on eBay it doesn't ask for dimensions for Parcel Select but it does have the option for Large Package, which is the balloon rate.

Once you break 84 inches in girth you hit the balloon rate. Ballon rate is an automatic bump to 20 lbs. Doesn't matter if it weighs 1 lb or 6 lbs, you will be charged for 20 lbs.

Print you labels online and it will save you quite a bit.

Balloon rate exist for both Parcel and Priority and there is no way around it. Above mention that Parcel Select doesn't measure size is incorrect. When printing labels on eBay it doesn't ask for dimensions for Parcel Select but it does have the option for Large Package, which is the balloon rate.

Once you break 84 inches in girth you hit the balloon rate. Ballon rate is an automatic bump to 20 lbs. Doesn't matter if it weighs 1 lb or 6 lbs, you will be charged for 20 lbs.

Print you labels online and it will save you quite a bit.

I stand corrected. We almost never use Parcel Select because FedEx ends up being much cheaper after a certain point. We never print through eBay. Instead we use the multi-order shipping thing in PayPal, which requires dimensions to be entered for services where that's relevant.

I believe it is also possible to be charged an "oversized package" fee in addition to the balloon rate at a certain point.

your package has to be quite large to hit balloon rate... you can avoid it by shipping items in snug fitting boxes.(this also protects your set so win win) if the set is really so huge that you hit balloon rate, then you hopefully made a pretty penny, and the 5-15$ extra that they charge shouldn't be all that painful.  

your package has to be quite large to hit balloon rate... you can avoid it by shipping items in snug fitting boxes.(this also protects your set so win win) if the set is really so huge that you hit balloon rate, then you hopefully made a pretty penny, and the 5-15$ extra that they charge shouldn't be all that painful.

I dont use snug boxes because I dont feel comfortable that the set will arrive safely so I always use bubble wrap and packing peanuts, the balloon fee is brought on by my own actions I suppose.

I dont use snug boxes because I dont feel comfortable that the set will arrive safely so I always use bubble wrap and packing peanuts, the balloon fee is brought on by my own actions I suppose.

i usually put in minor cushioning around the edges. however overall i find that a snug box prevents the set from bouncing around within the box. i have received numerous "great packing" feedbacks for my efforts. i obviously think that lots of bubble wrap and such will also protect the set well, i just think for the added cost it's not worth it. especially since  the cheaper way works just as well.