Small, medium, or large - Which are the best sets to buy?

You never know which sets are going to be the most profitable so I would suggest having a mixture of everything.  Personally I don't stock up on a bunch of large sets (I have a few) because I can flip tons of small sets and make 10X what a large set would appreciate to in the same amount of time.  :money:

don't forget the shipping cost

Right. You guys who flip smaller sets, what do you charge for shipping? I'd estimate about 10 bucks is the minimum. How do you sell a $20 retail set for $20+, plus $10 shipping? More to the point, where can I find suckers, I mean customers, like that?

I usually avoid ebay for smaller sales.  Those I tend to sell through Bricklink and with lower fees there is more room for profit.

10% is 10% regardless of the end price.

Right. You guys who flip smaller sets, what do you charge for shipping? I'd estimate about 10 bucks is the minimum. How do you sell a $20 retail set for $20+, plus $10 shipping? More to the point, where can I find suckers, I mean customers, like that?

Using 9469 as an example, and check out eBay UK to verify, I would charge either

I don't charge for shipping, all my items ship free. (costs about 3 bucks first class)  It's not what you charge but what you buy the set for.  Too many people on this site think 10% 20% 30% are great discounts but they aren't.  You have to be choosy on what you buy and how much of a discount you can get on it.  I sell small sets all the time and have a good 50% to 100% profit margin after shipping, fee's and expenses.  It's all about what you can buy it for. :money:

I don't charge for shipping, all my items ship free. (costs about 3 bucks first class)  It's not what you charge but what you buy the set for.  Too many people on this site think 10% 20% 30% are great discounts but they aren't.  You have to be choosy on what you buy and how much of a discount you can get on it.  I sell small sets all the time and have a good 50% to 100% profit margin after shipping, fee's and expenses.  It's all about what you can buy it for. :money:

When you say you ship small sets for $3 first class, I assume you're talking about polybags. Isn't the weight limit for first class something like 13 oz.? When I think small sets, I think about Riddles for the Ring or Wolverine's Chopper Showdown.

When you say you ship small sets for $3 first class, I assume you're talking about polybags. Isn't the weight limit for first class something like 13 oz.? When I think small sets, I think about Riddles for the Ring or Wolverine's Chopper Showdown.

The small (what I call battle pack boxes-such as Wolverine's chopper showdown) will ship for under 13oz if you find the right shipping box.  This is including bubble wrap and such.  Polybags will ship in a bubble mailer for $1.69 with tracking.

Diversity is the key. I try to spread out my investment into different sized sets across various themes. I think we should add a poll to this.

I should get some more small sets then :) I was thinking of some creator sets after a recent article on here.

I've never seen 7944 before, that is a really cool hovercraft. Is the black part on the bottom all one piece?

Yes it's all one piece. Mine is only 95% complete though and it's going for a whole 99p at the moment. :)

Exactly. I used RRP in my original example for ease of calculation. I actually got 4 9469s for 52% off. :)

( not fair emoticons don't work on IOS devices. :( ) unless you know the code.

• Like 1

Yeah I'm not a fan of questions like this, and I've seen a lot of them pop up lately.

It's painfully obvious for any investor in anything that narrowing your choices to a Black or White decision is a bad idea.

Invest in LOTR, or Monster Fighters? The Answer is Yes.

Sell on Ebay or Bricklink? The answer is Yes.

Quick flip or long term invest? The answer is Yes.

Small, Medium or Large? The answer is Yes.

Diversifying everything you do, selling strategies, set choice, size choice, sourcing, etc will protect you from an "all eggs in one basket" problem. I build my portfolio to cover a little of everything, small quick flips, long term investments, small easily mailable polybags, parts to part out on Bricklink, etc. I've even started selling custom mobile frame MOCs I do myself.

The only universal advice I can give that should benefit anyone, is to keep your entry price point as low as possible, and on a related note, always be looking for the deal. Online, at retailers, or locally. Always. Be. On. The. Hunt.

There's boats setting sail everyday. Blink and you'll miss the next one.

• Like 2