What is your current %, overall profits against cost of inventory?

Many of us are just plain fans of Lego so whatever we sell, the profits go back to re-investing or buying sets for personal collection.  Curious, what the 'balance sheet' of other members of like?  For example as a relatively new investor my meek profits so far only contributes to approx 5% of my current inventory.  Eventually if I'm successful that % will get higher 20%, 30%, 50% etc, as I sell more, sets appreciates...hopefully I become a better investor (step 1 - buy outside of Canada haha) not withstanding a secondary market collapse.  I'm sure some members might just be playing with profits (house money) for their entire inventory/collection.

Weird question or do others understand what I mean?  I understand for some the % will be 0% because they are still building up their inventory and haven't sold any items yet. 

I'm not 100% sure what your question is.

If you mean what my current % value vs imput is (of current brickfolio) then it is roughly 55% higher which is amazing, granted my brickfolio consists of only 8 MISB  sets not to mention I bought Y-wing Starfighter at RETAIL (50

Guest ph4tb0i

for me it's probably <1%, but that's because I've only started building inventory the last 6 months and haven't been super actively selling. 

For me it'll be more interesting to see the growth and investment rates of return in about 3-5 years. It's too hard to judge with a 1 year timespan. Have I made profit? Sure, a couple of hundred dollars in total this year, but it will definitely take more time to see the overall trend.

Though quite frankly I'm really hitting my limit on Lego investing and want to start building cash reserves and investing in other things like stocks, ETFs, etc.

I'm not 100% sure what your question is.

If you mean what my current % value vs imput is (of current brickfolio) then it is roughly 55% higher which is amazing, granted my brickfolio consists of only 8 MISB  sets not to mention I bought Y-wing Starfighter at RETAIL (50

Guest ph4tb0i

I'm at around 2%. I only have sold 2 sets, but I plan on increasing that as my sets retire and gain money. It's a waiting game. ;)

Very true. I think it's especially hard for people who have just started as it's not always easy to time the super clearance deals (e.***. who was the one who brought their dad to shopko again?) or getting in on EOL sets that hit home runs 6 months in (e.***. diagon alley). The fact that it's a waiting game/grind is also great for investors who stay in the Lego investing business as it's a market that really deters flippers and those who are afraid of being unable to liquidate their inventory within a set amount of time. 

The real double whammy for me is that I'm also collecting at the same time as I missed out on a lot of cool train stuff during my dark ages, so this year has been particularly expensive as I need to buy things that I want (so I don't need to pay any more in the future) while buying to invest as well. Luckily my wife and I are dual income no kids/mortgage at the moment, so that allows us to invest more money and to take more risk.

I'm at around 2%. I only have sold 2 sets, but I plan on increasing that as my sets retire and gain money. It's a waiting game. ;)

I have a very small investment portfolio due to my age and my limit on how much money I make so I have to pick and choose wisely.

Yeah, it's a waiting game.  Must newbies or investors will small inventory will be around 1%-5% for awhile.  Unless you catch lighting in a bottle as ph4tb0i mentioned with diagon alley (or with Zombies or exclusive limited minifgs) ...timing is everything or you just might be very bright/lucky. 

Yes, so if I read your comments correctly Alcarin...your % is 100% since all your current inventory costs came from net profits.  Awesome. 

ah thats how he meant it.

Well problem is all these sets I bought with net profit are for my personal collection/MOC (read: opened and built)  :P

So my current brickfolio value is closing 700$ and it cost around 450$ to purchase it. 

Not a bad result in 6 months considering i started with 8kg of LEGO and 120$ :P (and i sold majority(99.5%) of 8kg LEGO in 1 go for about 250$ since i was stupid! I had sets like Black Knights Castle among them!)

So yea we can say I started around 5th of December with 380$ money in my hand and now my value is on about 1270$. But majority of that I can thank for those 2 Toy shops which i got for 60$ each and sold for 235$ within like 2 weeks!

I started with a $120.00 purchase of three Queen Anne's Revenge sets. Now I'm sitting on more LEGO than I should....but after seeing the kind of clearance I could score in my area, I couldn't resist. I put all of that profit (got about $580 back after cuts) back into more sets.

Right now I'm sitting on a healthy folio, and limiting myself to stuff I can quick flip so that I can bring back my operating capital to a comfortable level.

Guest ph4tb0i

I started around january and at this point around 50% of my inventory is financed by profits.

lol, this could be interpreted as "I started around January, made 10 dollars, and that financed my 20 dollar inventory" :P 

Sorry, it just took me back to when I worked on a contract with a marketing company. :P