Bricklink has been sold! Changes Coming! Awesome!

This is interesting news.  Hopefully this change is for the better.  I do a fair amount of selling on bricklink and I hope the website gets more exposure and a little less clunky in the navigation forum.  They have all the fixin's for greatness and the infrastructure is there.  They just need to pretty it up.

More seriously though, they sold a marketplace of 144,000,000+ visitors. I imagine the payout was more than all the Mr. Golds in all the unopened, unsmooshed, unregistered bags in the whole world.

Actually, I think it might be pretty close..

Average price of a Mr. Gold right now is around $500-$600 per figure, multiply that by 5,000.

That puts you in the neighborhood of $2.5-$3 million.

At least it would be in the same ballpark.

:)

Actually, I think it might be pretty close..

Average price of a Mr. Gold right now is around $500-$600 per figure, multiply that by 5,000.

That puts you in the neighborhood of $2.5-$3 million.

At least it would be in the same ballpark.

:)

That would seem about right.  I remember conversations a year or so ago where  the 5-6 million dollar mark was mentioned as the value of the site.  It is quite possible.  The site was a steady money maker, even with its issues(hacking).  I know how to value a brick and mortar store, but valuating an internet store is not in my realm of expertise.  

That would seem about right.  I remember conversations a year or so ago where  the 5-6 million dollar mark was mentioned as the value of the site.  It is quite possible.  The site was a steady money maker, even with its issues(hacking).  I know how to value a brick and mortar store, but valuating an internet store is not in my realm of expertise.

Not much different, Ed. For an established site, It's usually a function of annual EBITDA rather than any underlying value of the assets (since there really aren't any). There would be some factor applied to expected annual EBITDA to come up with a sale price.