Best performing Star Wars set in the last three years? (2010-2013)

eklein03

I'm going to ignore the Star Wars comment, as my brain was unable to process it.

Best performing set?  In terms of dollars spent vs. rate of return, factoring in widespread availability at discount at retail?  I think I'm going to throw Ice Dragon Attack out there.  If you grabbed these at full retail you did amazing, but remember you could have gotten them sub $15 all day from a variety of retailers for months.  They were right there on store shelves and in warehouses throughout the land just waiting to be plucked, but so many investors missed out.  That has to be one of the best performers of the past few years.

I'm going to ignore the Star Wars comment, as my brain was unable to process it.

Best performing set?  In terms of dollars spent vs. rate of return, factoring in widespread availability at discount at retail?  I think I'm going to throw Ice Dragon Attack out there.  If you grabbed these at full retail you did amazing, but remember you could have gotten them sub $15 all day from a variety of retailers for months.  They were right there on store shelves and in warehouses throughout the land just waiting to be plucked, but so many investors missed out.  That has to be one of the best performers of the past few years.

I was referring only to the star wars line; but, that nijago has done amazingly well.

Also I think your question undermines itself. It doesn't really matter what is the absolute best investment as much as it matter what is a great investment and what's not and what you can get your hands on. As many posters will say. Collect what good investments that you're also interested in. That way at the very least down the road you'll have something you want to build!

I did watch the 80's one - Ewoks: The battle for Endor...

Dude you only made things worse with that statement lol. Check out set 8017 Vaders tie fighter. Retail was $40, so some people probably got it for $30, now it sells for $100+. The at-ot/dropship, republic gunship 7676, and clone turbo tank all spring to mind, too.

Looking at the CAGR, the best performing sets of the past few years have been smaller sets.  In fact, only one UCS set would even be in the top 5, and that is 10179 Falcon (CAGR 32.75%)

Here are the top 5 performing SW sets from the past few years with their CAGR (ignoring 10179):

7681 Separatist Spider Droid 33.47%

7751 Ahsoka's Starfighter  33.20%

7667 Imperial Dropship  30.86%

8129 AT-AT 29.41%

7662 MTT  26.32%

Moral of the story -  don't believe the hype.  So many people think the big sets are the money makers when often that isn't the case.

• Like 1

How about 8017 Darth Vaders TIE with 27.7% CAGR

If you want return over the last 3 years our best measure is the new 2 Year Return Rate we have on each set (we used to only get 1 year of data).

The top 5 SW non-UCS 2 year return rates are:

1. 8129 AT-AT Walker 127.68%
  2. 7681 Seperatist Spider Droid 97.21%
  3. 8017 Darth Vader's TIE 81.58%
  4. 8097 Bobba Fett's Slave I 80.13%
  5. 10195 Republic Dropship & AT-OT 74.48%

There are 5 UCS sets that would be ahead of 8017 though.

• 4 weeks later...

If you would like to know about the best performing Star Wars sets, there is a page called the BrickIndex. This page shows the best performing sets on eBay over the past six months. Here are the top Star Wars sets that are not UCS.

1. 7255 General Grievous Chase. Up 42.10%. Current CAGR: 25.85%
  2. 8031 V-19 Torrent Fighter. Up 40.59%. Current CAGR: 20.03%
  3. 20018 Brickmaster AT-AT Walker. Up 34.97%.
  4. 8009 R2-D2. Up 33.88%. Current CAGR: 8.49%
  5. 8083 Rebel Trooper Battle Pack. Up 31.47%. Current CAGR: 11.23%

Hopefully this helps! :thumbsup:

I did watch the 80's one - Ewoks: The battle for Endor...

I'm not sure if you're pulling our leg with that comment, but I honestly wouldn't advise buying Star Wars Lego for investment if you don't know anything about the story.  That's just a huge disadvantage when deciding which sets to purchase...

I'm not sure if you're pulling our leg with that comment, but I honestly wouldn't advise buying Star Wars Lego for investment if you don't know anything about the story.  That's just a huge disadvantage when deciding which sets to purchase...

I would agree with this since there are SO MANY FREAKING SETS.

But some of them are obvious investments like the UCS line.

Guest eightbrick

Looking at the CAGR, the best performing sets of the past few years have been smaller sets.  In fact, only one UCS set would even be in the top 5, and that is 10179 Falcon (CAGR 32.75%)

Here are the top 5 performing SW sets from the past few years with their CAGR (ignoring 10179):

7681 Separatist Spider Droid 33.47%

7751 Ahsoka's Starfighter  33.20%

7667 Imperial Dropship  30.86%

8129 AT-AT 29.41%

7662 MTT  26.32%

Moral of the story -  don't believe the hype.  So many people think the big sets are the money makers when often that isn't the case.

Really surprised by the performance of Ahsoka's Starfighter (7751). I remember people thought its retail price was outrageous LOL. Thanks for the stats.

Really surprised by the performance of Ahsoka's Starfighter (7751). I remember people thought its retail price was outrageous LOL. Thanks for the stats.

Seeing it built, its not very impressive, either. It seems rather small for the price, and the vulture droid build is thin and frail. I too am surprised by the performance.