Hey everyone!

I recently rekindled my long lost love for Lego now that I have 3 young kids. Actually, I've gone a little Lego nuts....

It started with the discovery of an old, dusty box of legos, capsela, and construx in my parents garage about 4 months ago. I started going through it, sorting the legos out from the rest with the intention of finding enough for my kids to play with. The more I pulled out, the more I was reminded of the awesomeness that is Lego. Pretty much my whole collection (much smaller than I remember it being) was made up of (I think) the King's Castle (6080), Galaxy Explorer (497), Cosmic Cruiser (6890), Space Supply Station (6930), Starfire I (6820), and some other smaller police/fire/whatever sets. It hard to tell because a lot of pieces seem to be missing, of which I am extremely bummed. I plan to scour my parent's place the next time I'm up there.

Anyway, the more I pulled out and sorted, the more was reminded of how great this stuff is. So much so, that I started to get truly and surprisingly mad that I had been missing out on Lego for the last 20 years, or so. So, for the last 4 months I've been playing catch-up; buying more lego than I ever had as a kid (a lot more), of course under the guise that I am buying this stuff "for the kids".

During this time I stumbled upon this forum and was introduced to the concept of Lego investing.... say what??? What really interested me was that I now had a viable excuse to my wife for buying Lego.... ;)

Realistically I am more of a buy to build with my kids (or just myself) person, but the recent Amazon craziness on the 30th swung me over to the investment side a little bit.... maybe. I may still just open the stuff I bought during that time (Haunted House, Arkham Asylum, Town Hall, and Horizon Express) because it is just begging to be built and played with, but I have to keep up the "investment" appearances for my wife just a little while longer. At least until the recent credit card bill is paid for and out of mind.

I think it is safe to say that I've been bit pretty bad by the Lego bug and I'm glad to have found a place like this to share the addiction and not feel so terrible about my continued, blatant disregard for my credit card bill.

• Like 2

The great thing about Lego is you can buy it, build it, display it for a couple years, and sell it used after eol. I did pretty much the same thing with my first round of buys, and now I have over a grand worth of Lego sets on bookshelves. But, they're still investments :)

Hey everyone!

I recently rekindled my long lost love for Lego now that I have 3 young kids. Actually, I've gone a little Lego nuts....

It started with the discovery of an old, dusty box of legos, capsela, and construx in my parents garage about 4 months ago. I started going through it, sorting the legos out from the rest with the intention of finding enough for my kids to play with. The more I pulled out, the more I was reminded of the awesomeness that is Lego. Pretty much my whole collection (much smaller than I remember it being) was made up of (I think) the King's Castle (6080), Galaxy Explorer (497), Cosmic Cruiser (6890), Space Supply Station (6930), Starfire I (6820), and some other smaller police/fire/whatever sets. It hard to tell because a lot of pieces seem to be missing, of which I am extremely bummed. I plan to scour my parent's place the next time I'm up there.

Anyway, the more I pulled out and sorted, the more was reminded of how great this stuff is. So much so, that I started to get truly and surprisingly mad that I had been missing out on Lego for the last 20 years, or so. So, for the last 4 months I've been playing catch-up; buying more lego than I ever had as a kid (a lot more), of course under the guise that I am buying this stuff "for the kids".

During this time I stumbled upon this forum and was introduced to the concept of Lego investing.... say what??? What really interested me was that I now had a viable excuse to my wife for buying Lego.... ;)

Realistically I am more of a buy to build with my kids (or just myself) person, but the recent Amazon craziness on the 30th swung me over to the investment side a little bit.... maybe. I may still just open the stuff I bought during that time (Haunted House, Arkham Asylum, Town Hall, and Horizon Express) because it is just begging to be built and played with, but I have to keep up the "investment" appearances for my wife just a little while longer. At least until the recent credit card bill is paid for and out of mind.

I think it is safe to say that I've been bit pretty bad by the Lego bug and I'm glad to have found a place like this to share the addiction and not feel so terrible about my continued, blatant disregard for my credit card bill.

Welcome to the site, I am guessing you are current or former Military?

On the subject of Space Quest, a team called Infamous Adventures remade Space Quest II: Vohaul's Revenge! It's a hefty download at 460 megabytes but so worth it with voices, animation, and some other good stuff. Classic graphic adventure!

Also, Two Guys from Andromeda have been back on the scene creating new games and such.

Here's their site.

Welcome to the site. I love hearing how others came out of their dark ages. I myself similarly went to my parents storage unit and found all my old sets which I built and subsequently inspired me to start investing! I knew I was onto something when I was able to sell my old 6286 Skulls Eye Schooner on eBay for a good amount of money.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't realize there had been other replies in here. This certainly seems to be a great community and I appreciate the warm welcome and great advice.  I'm just hoping I can reciprocate

@TheOrcKing,

I actually contributed to the Two Guys's kickstarter for a new game they will be developing. Good to see that there are other old school adventure gaming fans on here, in addition to fellow legoholics.

Good to see that there are other old school adventure gaming fans on here, in addition to fellow legoholics.

I enjoy just about all types of games for various reasons. Some of the reasons why I like the 'point & click' ones are that they focus very well on storyline, character interaction, and problem solving. They also are nicely relaxing from the usual games that wear out your thumbs. Ha ha.

Thanks in part to fans of these graphic adventure games and a free tool called Adventure Game Studio, these types of games are still being made to this day.

Here are a select few I've found.

A Tale of Two Kingdoms

Gemini Rue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foZp9ToBewA

The Blackwell Deception (This is the fourth and currently last in the series.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7Z5A6CVCME

And here is the team, AGD Interactive, that remade King's Quest I, II, and III, and Quest for Glory II.

I've played every one of these and all I can say is, bravo!