Lego Star Wars - Overpriced?

scottjs

As someone who owns very little Lego Star Wars, actually none that are opened yet (2 B-Wing's, and a Jabba's Palace) I don't know the true sizes compared to lets say the Kingdoms, LotR/Hobbit, or modular themes. However when I look at some of the sets being offered and I go off piece count they seem to be a little more pricey then some of the other themes out there. I'll take the non-licensed themes out of the equation, in fact let's compare Tower of Orthanc and Ewok Village. Orthanc is 2359 pieces compared to EV at 1990 pieces yet the prices are $200 and $250. Do the minifigures (5 vs. 17) equate for the huge price gap and the 400 less piece count? Or what about Jabba's Palace compared to Pirate Ambush Ship ($119 vs. $99) and the same amount of minifigs (Salacious B. Crumb is small but Jabba is a good size) yet there is still a $20 price difference. Is there more licensing costs with Star Wars? Does Lego just know they can charge a higher amount for this theme because it sells so darn well? Does piece count mean nothing and set weight is a better comparison? 

Your question feels about as old as time itself and has come up in many a conversation. It certainly does seem that way when looking at a 318 piece set with a price tag of $50 (Naboo Starfighter from 2011) or a $60 Rancor Pit with 380 parts. Problem is no one precisely knows Lego's way of charging for things but suspect things like pieces and colors used, overall weight, and box size contribute to the retail in the end. Plus licensing has its own costs so I'm sure that is tossed into the equation.

I hope I don't sound like I'm whining, I'm happily going to spend the money on a Rancor to go with my Jabba's Palace or DS, EV, ISS at retail prices (hopefully a 20% discount from CDN which puts me at US prices). I searched the first couple pages of threads and didn't see any recent posts and I was pondering on the account of the large glass of wine I had after dinner :)

Yes horrendously overpriced in some sections (B-Wing compared to Tower Bridge)

It is what it is though. You get the bonus of a massive license which people will continue to flock to for decades to come, and then boosts from those of things like the Imperial Shuttles bolting up in price as you get an audience not necessarily into Lego.

I think you alluded to some of the answers in your original post.  The minifigures are a large cost of production, especially new or unique ones.  There is also the question of weight.  The cost of production for Lego relates to many inputs but a major one will be the amount of raw ABS material used.  If pieces are large then they will cost more, so sets with a higher than average sized pieces will look more pricey when you check out the price per piece.  Also as others have said I would not be surprised if the license fee on SW is the highest for any of their themes.

Agreed to above posts.  Licensed sets cost more to prdouce since it isn't original Lego material.  Whoever owns the license takes their cut which means higher prices passed onto the consumer.  I don't care.  Lego does a great job with Lego Star wars and I am continuously impressed and enjoy their product.  To me it's worth it as opposed to coming up with MOC that simulate Star Wars sets and scenes.

• 4 weeks later...

I think that saying SW is over-priced depends on the set. Some sets are the 10 cents per piece while others are almost 20 cents a piece. Most of them though, are probably over the standard.

After picking up the Death Star last week my tone has changed a bit, although the piece count isn't as high as say the Tower Bridge it weighs a ton. I can't wait to build it!