6-Year-Old punished for bringing a quarter-size Lego gun on a bus.

Darth Lego

(Please don't bring up politics because I don't want to start an argument among members here. Thank you.)

The 6-year-old got detention for bringing a Lego gun on the bus. The bus driver claimed it caused a panic on the bus among the students after a kid told the bus driver about it. The principal later watched the surveillance tape and there wasn't a commotion at all. The kid's detention was later canceled.

I think the school administrators overreacted about this considering it wasn't a real gun or an airsoft gun that could be mistaken for a real gun. It gets to a point where it's over-the-top IMO. What do you guys/gals think? Did his punishment fit his crime/actions?

Link: http://foxnewsinsider.com/2013/05/29/kindergartner-punished-bringing-lego-sized-gun-school-bus

post-8374-0-99231000-1370011251_thumb.jp

The gun was a lego minifig accessory? Definitely over the top punishment no matter what side of the political argument you are on!

Now.... to the mom of the boy, you need to be aware of what your kids are bringing to school! We always check our kids to make sure any of the weapons associated to the toys in their hands and backpacks are left at home!

And... to the parents of the kid that brought it up as a concern - for petes sake, introduce your kids to LEGO already!! It would have avoided this entire mess if the kid would have just said "cool"!!!

Well, it's a good thing the detention was cancelled.  At that age I think just talking to a child why some things might not be appropriate to do goes much further than outright punishment.  I didn't know a six year old could get a detention to be honest.

School boards often overreact to anything about 'guns'...trust me I work for one and it's sensitive because of previous horrific school shootings.  There were articles in the news this year about how kids can't even play 'cowboys' and use their fingers/hand as make believe guns.  Or how a father got arrested by cops/childrens services because his child drew a picture of a gun shooting at a monster or something.  A lot of times its the teacher's/school adminster's call on what is appropriate or not.  Most kids just love to play cop ****** robbers, play with army men, toy guns, video games and would never act out violently.  Mental health is a big can of worms.    

I have wondered lately if this over sensitivity to these type of issues is what is actually causing the violence problems. The more the schools crack down, the more violence schools are experiencing. At least it seems like suspending 6,7,8 or 9 year olds for pop tarts or lego guns doesn't seem to be helping anything.

An easy solution to all this is, the rule should be -- no bringing toys to school.  Not because it looks like a gun or anything else.  Just no bringing toys to school.

Way back in the prehistoric 80s, that was the rule at our school, and if we brought some toy and the teacher found out, they took it, held it to the end of the school day, and were told if we brought it back, the teacher would keep it next time.

Sorry if this solution makes too much sense, but I am not an "educator" so that may explain it...

How many times did they say the word "traumatized"? This is hilarious in every aspect. First off, what does a plastic GI Joe toy gun have to do with gun control? If the kid brought an air pellet gun or even a paintball gun, then I could see some merit and there should be some detention but not for an action figure trincket that at best could be used to poke out somebodys eye. And second, when was the last time Fox News reported anything serious? I get more straight up facts from The Daily Show than them.