Lego books with minifigs

Hey Folks,

Was wondering what everyone thought of the hardcover Lego books, that come with a free minifigure.  I bought one each of Ninjago, Minifigure encyclopedia, and Harry potter for $10 each from Amazon.  Already received the minifigure one, and it is a beautiful book!  I can't believe the quality for sawbuck deliverd.  Thinking about ordering some more for investments--especially the harry potter.  It has pictures of all the lego sets in that series.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/075669812X/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1465401725/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had a star Wars one from a few years ago that had a minifigure with it.  But I've always felt the issue with the books is they so quickly become out of date.  PLus it's pretty easier to look up all the minifigure info online these days.

Harry Potter could be good as it's a retired line so won't be outdated in the future.  

How much do they increase in value?  I've never really looked into them.  Anyone know?  Maybe checking out the minifigure values would give a clue.

I think the figures are the investment potential here. Selling the books without the minifigs is like pulling teeth.

I agree. Honestly, it seems like the best you could hope to get when selling the book by itself without the included minifigure is about $5 if even that.

• 3 months later...

What do you guys think of the newest book that came out?

Lego Minifigure Year By Year: A Visual History

It's about $25 on amazon. Any collectors?

Here is a little review by The Brick Fan. I think the book itself looks great and seems informative (I haven't seen it in stores yet) but the selection of three minifigures included are nothing to write home about as they are hardly exclusive. I do kind of like the simple retro-esque Townsperson minifigure but as for the other two, I couldn't care less. With that said, I may pick it up for the right price.

9741829463_f50a4f4beb_o.jpg

9741829543_9a1a0256c3_o.jpg

9741829547_b8603708b6_o.jpg

9741829637_ff86f5b8e9_o.jpg

Guest TabbyBoy

Every time I see a Lego book (mostly at TRU), the minifigs have been stolen.

I see a lot of ripped open boxes of lego at my grocery store amd walmart too. Seems like a minifig theif in my city. Makes me sad :(

I've noticed that in my local WH Smiths (UK Book/Toy store), ALL the minifigs are missing!  I wonder if staff take them out first and give them to you at the checkout?

Every time I see a Lego book (mostly at TRU), the minifigs have been stolen.

At my Walmart after a certain amount of time after they put those books out, the minifigure usually gets pilfered. At least at Target, no one seems to try and steal them yet recently I have found a couple of Minifigures mystery bags tore open with the contents left inside. Jeeze, some kid tore then open to then go and leave it. :getlost:

So then I guess you guys would wait until it's lower than $25?

I've been getting used to Amazon having a deal on these books at the beginning or after some time so I have been waiting for those but I just noticed Amazon has the original list price as $40! :frantics: They may correct it eventually though hopefully. On a discount for this book I would try and shoot for between $15-$20. The book does look great as is so I may not sweat this one too much if I can only get a few bucks off.