What was your biggest 'mistake return'?

Sorry if this not a new topic...did a search and didn't find one. 

Just curious what some of your memorable 'mistake returns' were?  Meaning whether you are a rookie investor or veteran was there a set(s) you returned because you had various second thoughts but later regretted because it became hard to find or no longer at price you purchased?

I regretted returning some Palpatine's Arrests and Fun House's at good prices because as a novice I thought 2-4 sets would be enough inventory but ending up flipping them all quickly and demand was still there to make good profit with no inventory.  Unfortunately I haven't seen sale prices like that again (yet).  I shouldn't have returned them or at least purchased 10 more :)

Glad I wasn't collecting/investing yrs ago and returned Cafe Corner/Green Grocer or Grand Carousel etc.  Hind sight is 20/20.    

This is actually an interesting topic that came up in conversation with the wife last night.  We were returning and rebuying a bunch of sets that had arrived damaged from a large Target order that we placed during that LOTR/Ninjago sale earlier this month, and she asked me as we were picking out crisp boxes if I wondered if I'd ever regret not keeping the damaged ones someday?  Now, obviously this is a somewhat silly question given the shelves were packed with mint boxes, so we could have bought 5+ more of any set if we had wanted to.  But hindsight being 20-20 there's almost certainly one set I returned that night that I'll be selling in 3 years and making a bundle on.  At that time I'll probably wish I hade more, even the damaged box I returned.

All things considered if I had a Green Grocer or UCS Falcon equivalent in my hand you better believe I'll be wishing I bought every dang one I ever laid eyes on full retail or not.

This is actually an interesting topic that came up in conversation with the wife last night.  We were returning and rebuying a bunch of sets that had arrived damaged from a large Target order that we placed during that LOTR/Ninjago sale earlier this month, and she asked me as we were picking out crisp boxes if I wondered if I'd ever regret not keeping the damaged ones someday?  Now, obviously this is a somewhat silly question given the shelves were packed with mint boxes, so we could have bought 5+ more of any set if we had wanted to.  But hindsight being 20-20 there's almost certainly one set I returned that night that I'll be selling in 3 years and making a bundle on.  At that time I'll probably wish I hade more, even the damaged box I returned.

All things considered if I had a Green Grocer or UCS Falcon equivalent in my hand you better believe I'll be wishing I bought every dang one I ever laid eyes on full retail or not.

Yah, mint boxes are definitely overrated...

Said no one ever.

Obviously Stephen has never opened a secondhand Lego set only to find Mega Bloks, nuts and bolts, and grandma's dentures... neither have I, though. Lego is an odd toy to value when it comes to box condition. Then again, even if the box is opened to verify the proper sealed bags, I still want that box in mint condition.

As for the topic, the only sets I've returned were ones I overpaid for. Like the 2 helms deeps I got for 115, then the next week Target had that 20% off sale. So I bought new ones, then returned the original ones. I don't think I regret it.... :)

Cant say ive ever returned something that ended up being a good deal, i have hesitated on some good deals. i was going to buy 10x emerald night but changed my mind and the last second and played it safe with two sets, then got impatient and build one. Still have the other set MISB but still, missed out on  $1k profit there easy.

I'm kicking myself for returning HP 4842.  Ordered a bunch during Xmas season last year.  Many came damaged or unboxed, returned every single one.  Now used prices are almost $200 while new is $265+.  Totally sucks but it shows that you can never predict the future...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I am new to brickpricker. Saw this thread and the talk about HP 4842. I regretted not buying it last week when it was bn.com for regular price!! (BN's regular price. sold by BN). I had a 20% off coupon about to expire and was looking for something to buy. But found out the coupon would not work on it so I did not buy it. Now I asked myself why I did not buy it? worse off, I can always return it.

I did buy the HP 4842 when it mysteriously showed up at amazon warehouse deals for $73.84 Like New condition on June 1. It took me 10 seconds to put it on the cart and checked out. I sold it at cost to a friend who is into Harry Potter and always wanted the Castle. The box was not in nice shape, but everything is in the box and all the bags are sealed.

on what I thought was my biggest 'mistake return', it was the different ninjago sets I bought from Walmart in 2011 after x'mas at 50% off. My kids are not into ninjago, so I returned them. I should have kept them. That's before I started buying and selling lego.

Yes, welcome to the site boomzoom.  These return mistakes seem to be in memory more because we had them in our hands already and than actually made the effort to return them.  Little different than seeing a set and regretting not buying it before it was too late.