Minifig Diplay Problem Solved!!!

1derman

Toward the end of March I had a sudden unexplainable desire to revisit one of my favorite childhood toys: the Lego mini-figure. I figured I would start a new collection of minifigures. They have a really great collectability to them because there are so many different varieties of them. I can get almost every cool fictional character as a lego person, I can create people I know, I can recreate movie scenes.

But what was most important to me was that I would be able to display them. I pictured them in all types of display cases that would way overstate the value of the little plastic figure inside. I've always enjoyed how Legos seem to be a parody of themselves, so a fancy case for them would be ideal. The first idea was this box... it's cool, but at $6 for eac one, it's not cost effective, and it only fits minifigs who aren't heightened by hats or backpacks. I just keep one of my favorites in there:

acrylic box

the new one is a little bigger, and I'm really happy with it:

Minifig wooden shelves

The wooden shelf was the most expesive part. That cost me $80. It has a glass door, and the one in my picture has only alf of it's shelves. I removed every other shelf to increase the head room because some of the guys with hats didn't want to fit. Then I ordered a load of 6X16 grey plates, which fit perfectly on each shelf. I was planning on hot gluing the plates to the wood, but they fit in there so well that I didn't really need to.

Wish I had the wall room for the big framed boxes. I use these DB-17 Multi-Level display boxes with adjustable levels. I got tired of my/kids sets getting dusty and not played with, so did mini fig displays guarded from the dreaded dust bunny. Here's the display box i use quite a bit: http://www.containerstore.com/shop/collections/display/cubesCases?productId=10022884&******=233 For the backgrounds, i bounce into Illustrator and find some hi rez images for the backgrounds and have wife print them on work laser printer. Kids get a kick out of their mini figs on display. Also use some jewelry hinged acrylic case for the HP figs we have on the wall. If the kids wants to play with them, just pop open the cover, grab and go. Hope this helps. I never think i am a minifig guy, then i look at my shelves and wall and reconsider.