Chess set that combines LEGO themes?

How popular do you think a LEGO chess set would be if you blended themes? For example a LEGO Star Wars with a Lord of the Rings, Vikings vs Knights, Bionicle vs Hero Factory. Anything really. I just think it would be great to see a box with multiple branding and all those different minifgure types.

Yeah - couldn't agree more. A good suggestion. Maybe LEGO could release a generic chessboard (of course, one that has lots of pieces and is rather impressive) and then release a set of chess pieces within each theme....this would give the collector or investor the ability to buy into the chess side of LEGO, without having to necessarily dedicate to 'chess sets'. I would be up for a game between the Star Wars clan and the LOTR characters!

I would buy the heck out of a Lord of the Rings/Star Wars chess set. I can guarantee that theme crossover chess sets would be popular. But I doubt we'll ever see a SW chess set. Hasbro, with their "We're the only ones with the rights to produce Star Wars action figures" rule, would kinda slam any such idea.

I would buy the heck out of a Lord of the Rings/Star Wars chess set. I can guarantee that theme crossover chess sets would be popular. But I doubt we'll ever see a SW chess set. Hasbro, with their "We're the only ones with the rights to produce Star Wars action figures" rule, would kinda slam any such idea.

Well, LEGO has produced all the other ships and characters from the Star Wars theme, why not a Chess set?

Well, LEGO has produced all the other ships and characters from the Star Wars theme, why not a Chess set?

Lego has the rights to produce Star Wars building toys. These can include minifigures, but only if it's part of a building set. Hasbro has the rights to produce Star Wars action figures, and will sue others for anything too close to a "figure pack". Hence why Lego's magnets now have the minifigures glued to the magnet. When they were removable, Hasbro shut that down because they were basically "figure packs".

Star Wars chess sets would be pretty much the same deal. They'd be deemed figure packs, and Lego could end up sued. And let's face it, if they were released, most of us would buy them for the minifigs. "Figure Packs".

It stinks, but that's just the way it is.

Lego has the rights to produce Star Wars building toys. These can include minifigures, but only if it's part of a building set. Hasbro has the rights to produce Star Wars action figures, and will sue others for anything too close to a "figure pack". Hence why Lego's magnets now have the minifigures glued to the magnet. When they were removable, Hasbro shut that down because they were basically "figure packs".

Star Wars chess sets would be pretty much the same deal. They'd be deemed figure packs, and Lego could end up sued. And let's face it, if they were released, most of us would buy them for the minifigs. "Figure Packs".

It stinks, but that's just the way it is.

Good point, but I was kind of thinking in these terms...