A little confused with the Roman Commander's helmet....

TheOrcKing

First off, the character is just awesome topped with superb awesome sauce made from pure grade awesomeness. But what the heck is with the red plume? Why is it sideways? I've never seen it that way before; it's usually always facing forward like the one in the second picture. The best I could find for an answer seems to be there is a unit type in the Roman militia called a Roman Centurian and they have their plume sideways like so in the third image.

It still confuses me though and those Roman Centurians are rare in the field as far as I can tell.

If you're like me, I put the plume on my Roman Commander sideways or the 'usual' way.

Here's a list of Roman Army types if you're curious.

It's pretty long!

I had wondered that as well. I'm sure I've seen pics of him with both orientations so got a bit confused. I like it front to back so have put it on that way. Took me a while to find him smooshing the bags as well. Didn't realise for ages that the plume was not attached to the helmet but a separate piece.

The better question is why is the helmet a matte grey when in all the promotional artwork is it a shiny silver color akin to the 'matching' Series 6 Roman Soldier? I felt cheated when I opened mine. =(

I felt the same way about the heroic knight from series 9. Also, I HATE pearl gold and silver. If you're into Kingdoms, you might have noticed that the Joust looks like the last set to include chrome gold treasure and armor. Promotional artwork for the next King's Castle shows pearl. Boooo.

I like the sideways plume personally. The centurion was like a sergeant, in charge of a century. You would think a century would have 100 men but was usually around 80. My biggest gripe is that this figure should have a shield, as these line officers were right down in the thick of the fighting.

I like the sideways plume personally. The centurion was like a sergeant, in charge of a century. You would think a century would have 100 men but was usually around 80. My biggest gripe is that this figure should have a shield, as these line officers were right down in the thick of the fighting.

yeh no shield is major let down really...

I thought that was weird, but what I thought was weirder was that they made him at all. Don't get me wrong, he looks very cool, but he looks extremely similar to the Spartan one, and because of that, he's just a less cool looking figure than one we already have.

• 2 weeks later...

Its correct to be flat to front. You guys should see the HBO rome series. The tech advisors got a lot right. Bummer abouth no shield too

I have seen but a few parts of that series, and honestly don't get why Lego didn't give him a shield at all. I mean he needs something to fend off Medusa, doesn't he?