What to do in the off season of Lego?

I've been keeping track of my buying and selling and it looks like as far as my records go, a dryspell for sales and deals until summer. What do you guys do in the off season? Do you still sell when you aren't buying? Do you wait until Christmastime to do the bulk of your wheeling and dealing?

I've been keeping track of my buying and selling and it looks like as far as my records go, a dryspell for sales and deals until summer. What do you guys do in the off season? Do you still sell when you aren't buying? Do you wait until Christmastime to do the bulk of your wheeling and dealing?

I buy all year long to be honest. EBAY always has good finds and Toys R Us runs their Buy one Get one 50% off through out the year at various times. Lego is running some great deals now...

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Sales-And-Deals

The Obi-Wan Jedi Starfighter(10215) is a great deal at $59.99. It is an Ultimate Collectors series model and will appreciate when discontinued. Target is clearing out older inventory.

What themes do you like to collect? Do you like older or newer sets? I'm always looking. Let me know. Thanks.

• 1 year later...

I buy all year long to be honest. EBAY always has good finds and Toys R Us runs their Buy one Get one 50% off through out the year at various times. Lego is running some great deals now...

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Sales-And-Deals

The Obi-Wan Jedi Starfighter(10215) is a great deal at $59.99. It is an Ultimate Collectors series model and will appreciate when discontinued. Target is clearing out older inventory.

What themes do you like to collect? Do you like older or newer sets? I'm always looking. Let me know. Thanks.

Ed said Obi-Wan's Starfighter would appreciate after eol. Whoops! Still, I would've bought a few at 40% off for sure. Still a nice profit to be made there. I wonder if it will ever really take off.

• 2 weeks later...

I buy all year long too but only sell around and before Christmas unless I have something to quick flip. What I started doing is update a spreadsheet daily of all the sets I want for stores specific to my country. Basically I just use a price comparision site and every day update the price of each set with the current lowest price. It'll then automatically show me deals that are 50% off compared to retail at LEGO Shop at Home. Without it, I wouldn't have gotten:

3 Technic Unimogs for 125$/set

4 Battles of Helm's Deep for 85$/set

Just because its summer doesn't mean that shops don't have to clear their inventory :)

When it comes to LEGO, there is no off season.  Buy, sell, sell, buy, sell, sell, sell, sell all year long....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-k5J4RxQdE

Ah crap, that joke still makes me laugh my ass off! :laugh:

Well, that and this bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl1uFDiDoQc

Probably makes more sense if you watch the whole cartoon. ;)

I usually hit a dry spell when I do not find Legos at a good enough price. When that happens I just sell what I have and hope that there are some good deals coming soon.

I find myself hunting pretty thoroughly in the times when good deals aren't floating out there.  According to my records though I tend to buy something at least once a week.  Then I find myself scrounging on Ebay, usually not finding much these days, people seem to avoid auctioning items.  Feels like maybe a 15-20% of listings on Ebay now are auctions, the rest BIN auctions.

I find myself hunting pretty thoroughly in the times when good deals aren't floating out there.  According to my records though I tend to buy something at least once a week.  Then I find myself scrounging on Ebay, usually not finding much these days, people seem to avoid auctioning items.  Feels like maybe a 15-20% of listings on Ebay now are auctions, the rest BIN auctions.

I actually prefer BINs. There are a lot of deals of people that price their used sets well below what they are selling for and you might be able to get them if you're there at the right moment.

Guest ph4tb0i

For me this month was a record breaker in sales. Though I've stopped concentrating on only Lego and now branching off to other items to sell. 

Made a couple hundred selling Despicable Me toys, DS games, and random junk the last couple of days. Between this and my full time job I've barely gotten any sleep. Ended up forgetting to declare an item at the border a couple of weeks back and luckily didn't get a full seizure (customs lady was nice enough to let me go with a warning) or else it would've sucked for the next couple of years travelling between Canada <--> USA. 

I actually prefer BINs. There are a lot of deals of people that price their used sets well below what they are selling for and you might be able to get them if you're there at the right moment.

I'm sure there are great deals available at certain times for certain prices.  I'm just not that diligent in checking buy it now and coming through them.  Do you have a refined formula you follow when you are searching to weed things out that you are in particular looking for or do you comb for deals in general?