10327 - Dune Atreides Royal Ornithopter

Just now, MrToes16 said:

I like it.

It says flappable wings but it doesn't look like there's a built-in mechanism like a crank that will make them flap. Looking forward to the power function mocs.

Price is 😢

Designed by Mike P, but too much Technic and overpriced. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

retracting landing gear is pretty sweet

I agree. The wing mechanism and functionality are pretty damn sweet too.

The original Dune was the first movie I watched where I fell asleep. I have not watched the new version. Maybe one day, but no desire. Convince me. lol

Edited by oneknightr

29 minutes ago, oneknightr said:

I agree. The wing mechanism and functionality are pretty damn sweet too.

The original Dune was the first movie I watched where I fell asleep. I have not watched the new version. Maybe one day, but no desire. Convince me. lol

the recent film was fairly entertaining and IMO, worth a stream as a good sci-fi..but I get what you're saying about boring lengths between the pockets of action...like the earlier version,...this one is no different and its only meaningful if you read the book.  I saw the earlier version when I was a kid...and honestly...nothing remarkable..but the images from that movie somehow stayed with me.  I still picture Sting.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

...but the images from that movie somehow stayed with me.  I still picture Sting.

For sure! I still remember the fat guy, the worms, all the talk about spice, the weird pink human skin looking whale thing in the tank, and of course, Sting. I was in and out of sleep. Lol

• Like 1

I was pretty young watching the original Dune film on VHS, and it stuck with me. Cannot remember everything but I do recall much of it. Such a surreal yet believable experience to me with a handful of scenes living rent free in my noggin between "Fear is the mind killer" to "Father! The sleeper has awakened!". The worms still are the frickin' coolest.

Mayhap more bureaucracy than action but the dialogue kept me intrigued. About every time the movie would air on whatever channel, my mother and me usually ended up watching it together all the way through. Saw the latest "part 1" version, looking forward to "part deux". Haha.

Anywho, nice build and figs.

On 10/29/2023 at 10:59 AM, TheOrcKing said:

I was pretty young watching the original Dune film on VHS, and it stuck with me. Cannot remember everything but I do recall much of it. Such a surreal yet believable experience to me with a handful of scenes living rent free in my noggin between "Fear is the mind killer" to "Father! The sleeper has awakened!". The worms still are the frickin' coolest.

Mayhap more bureaucracy than action but the dialogue kept me intrigued. About every time the movie would air on whatever channel, my mother and me usually ended up watching it together all the way through. Saw the latest "part 1" version, looking forward to "part deux". Haha.

Anywho, nice build and figs.

For me it’s the heart plug scene.  Not even in the book.  Saw this in theater when I was ten years old.  Completely unnecessary horror element that still disturbs me today.  I believe Temple of Doom was released the same year but the heart ripping scene always struck me more as fantasy whereas Dune somehow seemed more realistic and gruesome.

Edited by Mathew
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Mathew said:

For me it’s the heart plug scene.  Not even in the book.  Saw this in theater when I was ten years old.  Completely unnecessary horror element that still disturbs me today.  I believe Temple of Doom was released the same year but the heart ripping scene always struck me more as fantasy whereas Dune somehow seemed more realistic and gruesome.

That borderline snuff scene lingers around the darkest recesses of my brain as well. Absolutely gruesome. Temple of Doom and Indiana Jones in general were always presented from start to finish as adventurous fantasy as you mentioned. With the baron, it was sadism without reason and the cruelest between the two easily. Now getting your heart yoinked out then set aflame from being suspended above lava is still pretty bad but.

80s PG-13 was definitely something. Haha.

David Lynch is definitely good at portraying sadism on screen. It’s also the reason I don’t revisit his movies in my older age. Same goes for Paul Verhoeven though rewatching Total Recall recently was a trip. They don’t make ‘‘em like they use to. 

Edited by Mathew
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, TheOrcKing said:

That borderline snuff scene lingers around the darkest recesses of my brain as well. Absolutely gruesome. Temple of Doom and Indiana Jones in general were always presented from start to finish as adventurous fantasy as you mentioned. With the baron, it was sadism without reason and the cruelest between the two easily. Now getting your heart yoinked out then set aflame from being suspended above lava is still pretty bad but.

80s PG-13 was definitely something. Haha.

Temple of Doom was PG, but it inspired the PG-13 rating.  Red Dawn would be the first to receive that rating.

https://www.businessinsider.com/indiana-jones-and-the-temple-of-doom-created-pg-13-rating-2014-4