9470 - Shelob Attacks

• 4 weeks later...
Guest eightbrick

Short Answer: Good Investment.

Long Answer: The set is facing hard competition from other cheap sets like Wolverine Chopper Showdown and Arctic Batman, but the uniqueness of the LOTR line and the exclusivity of Sam will make it a valuable investment. In fact, this competition has helped the set fly under the radar which is always a good thing. If LOTR is discontinued after this wave than it will be the only set with Sam, who plays a huge part in the films. If LOTR is continued the themes popularity will only rise and help prices. The set itself is my personal favorite from the first LOTR line, and while I can't promise that it will be the next Ice Dragon, it sure looks like it might. Need more proof? Lets look at some similar priced sets from other popular movies:

7621 Indiana Jones and the Lost Tomb: Retail $19.99 Current Price: $71.33 (256% up from retail)

4737 Quidditch Match: Retail $19.99 Price: $41.15 (105% up from retail)

If your budget allows, get a couple (or ten). You won't regret it in five years.

Short Answer: Good Investment.

Long Answer: The set is facing hard competition from other cheap sets like Wolverine Chopper Showdown and Arctic Batman, but the uniqueness of the LOTR line and the exclusivity of Sam will make it a valuable investment. In fact, this competition has helped the set fly under the radar which is always a good thing. If LOTR is discontinued after this wave than it will be the only set with Sam, who plays a huge part in the films. If LOTR is continued the themes popularity will only rise and help prices. The set itself is my personal favorite from the first LOTR line, and while I can't promise that it will be the next Ice Dragon, it sure looks like it might. Need more proof? Lets look at some similar priced sets from other popular movies:

7621 Indiana Jones and the Lost Tomb: Retail $19.99 Current Price: $71.33 (256% up from retail)

4737 Quidditch Match: Retail $19.99 Price: $41.15 (105% up from retail)

If your budget allows, get a couple (or ten). You won't regret it in five years.

This is a very reasonable post. The exclusive Gollum in this set also helps it. I think if you have the space and some $$$ (and find it cheap) picking up a few would be prudent.

I cannot see it exploding as much as the Ice Dragon, but it will do well.

This is a very reasonable post. The exclusive Gollum in this set also helps it. I think if you have the space and some $$$ (and find it cheap) picking up a few would be prudent.

How is Gollum exclusive?

cheapest Hobbit set = Gollum...

This set will fail horribly IF sam is rereleased in any other set 

If he is not he will double easily within 2 years of AFOL

it all depends on the Sam boy :P

I agree with the Sam comment, that a lot of the sets value hinges on him.
As for Gollum, well people do want multiples of sets with the variations. By the time the number of sets dwindle, people will pay if they want it, and parents will pick Shelob over Riddles most times due to more figures, parts and the spider.

I think its a winner especially at 35% off. Of all the sets my son and I have put together recently, he consistently plays with Shelob.

Plus there is also crossover value for people who missed out on Hagrid's Hut and the big spider that came with that one. In the world of HP, Hagrid is easy to get but a brick built spider isnt.

Speaking as an LOTR minifig collector I have to have both variations.

And me speaking as a general minfig collector (or just being myself), I must have both for my collection as well as what Ambroise said.

Well, 1 Gollum + 1 smaegol, to have them talk together... :P

I can totally see this scene in Lego......and sitting on my desk.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest eightbrick

Well, of course its not going to be the next Ice Dragon in that it will see a rapid rise (or at least I doubt it will), but I can see it getting up to 70 bucks in a couple years.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...