So hard to buy to invest rather than collect..

Guest ph4tb0i

Guest ph4tb0i

Anybody here often catch saying to themselves "ahhhhh I'm not going to make THAT much profit off this set anyways so let's open it and build it for myself!" ....Because I'm starting to think this way a LOT.. >_>

I know it's not easy for everybody, but buying multiples takes the strain of opening your investments off quite a bit. Yes, you're still opening a set, but if it wasn't meant for investment in the first place, I don't worry about it. I'm about 50/50 in my opened sets to sealed sets, so about 100 of each, and about the only ones that are begging me to be opened are ones that I only have one of. So simple solution, buy more!

Anybody here often catch saying to themselves "ahhhhh I'm not going to make THAT much profit off this set anyways so let's open it and build it for myself!"

....Because I'm starting to think this way a LOT.. >_>

I've had a little more spare time recently and opened and built quite a few. My wife keeps giving me the stink eye and making comments like, "I though you were selling that one". This prompts me to explain that she must be thinking of another set and that I got such a good deal on this one that I practically had to open it and build it (and now review it!)

Open and build, baby!

Guest ph4tb0i

I've had a little more spare time recently and opened and built quite a few. My wife keeps giving me the stink eye and making comments like, "I though you were selling that one". This prompts me to explain that she must be thinking of another set and that I got such a good deal on this one that I practically had to open it and build it (and now review it!)

Open and build, baby!

I tell my wife if she gives me attitude her Summer Riding Camp will be sold. No ifs and buts. :D

When that doesn't work, I hold the Heartlake Stables hostage along with the Summer Riding Camp. :D

Should that ever fail, I'll add Green Grocer + Tower Bridge to the mix (though this would hurt me more than it would hurt her.. hahahaha).

That's a problem if you happen to buy a lego you really like that is far from being EOL'd. I actually spend much time looking at new ones to invest, and that keeps my eyes away from the models I would like to open and build one day... I also tend to pack them in boxes that can fit 5 or more and that keeps my eyes of them. Another way to keep satisfied my "hunger" for building actual lego models is to build customs, unique lego models. There are a few amazing custom instructions (some even for free) out there and if I buy used bricks (in good condition), then you have no excuse not to use them and build! :)

Anybody here often catch saying to themselves "ahhhhh I'm not going to make THAT much profit off this set anyways so let's open it and build it for myself!"

....Because I'm starting to think this way a LOT.. >_>

I do that a lot with City sets. I love the City theme and always buy a lot of it. Some City stuff takes forever to go up in value so many times I'll build multiples of the same set, especially with the smaller vehicle sets like the dump trucks, garbage trucks, etc.

Yep, I definitely recognize that feeling. Now, whenever there's a set that I know I won't be able to resist, I just buy multiples: one to build and the other(s) to sell MISB. Very often I also end up selling the opened set with a profit, which is a win / win situation. Works for me!

I struggle sometimes. I've opened a couple of Monster Fighter sets I had initially bought for investment, but other than that I've held firm. Sticking to collecting LOTR sets for now. Though having purchased a few train sets for investment I have found I'm wanting to get into them, but I know the cost if I do will be pretty high. That combined with lack of space to display them has stopped me so far :)

The hardest part for me is buying a set to open of a set I like and having enough money to buy an additional one because I believe it will appreciate in value. How could it not? The set is so cool...Those are usually the thoughts that run in my head, either that or I like a set so much for some illogical reason I buy two. I think this is because I have concerns about trying to buy it back if my son someday goes crazy on sets.