Amazon UK is my new best friend!

I was going to post this in the old Passenger Train thread, but since it is about more than one item, I thought it deserved its own thread. First, the passenger trains and train stations I ordered through amazon.co.uk came via UPS. I was charged brokerage + custom fees. I sent a quick email to customer service, and they immediately refunded me my out of pocket costs. As one corner of one box was a little smushed, they gave me 15% off that set as well. I did have to chat with the UPS guy and write a couple emails, but it was still worth it, especially with CAN. retail (and even sale) prices so high. If UPS delivered your order, I'd make sure to get their customer service department to get you that money back. I've also (for the third time) begged them to stop using UPS in Canada. Second, I ordered a Malevolence a while back. It arrived by CanadaPost, so no delivery charge or fees, but was wrapped in plastic. The box was heavily damaged inside this plastic, but I didn't open it. I called CanadaPost and they advised me to contact Amazon, and within one hour they refunded me the full purchase price and I get to keep the Lego. Inside, the box was heavily damaged, but I opened it and the contents are fine. Free Malevolence for me! I am now considering asking the Amazon customer service person to be the best man at my wedding...

First, the passenger trains and train stations I ordered through amazon.co.uk came via UPS. I was charged brokerage + custom fees. I sent a quick email to customer service, and they immediately refunded me my out of pocket costs. As one corner of one box was a little smushed, they gave me 15% off that set as well. I did have to chat with the UPS guy and write a couple emails, but it was still worth it, especially with CAN. retail (and even sale) prices so high. If UPS delivered your order, I'd make sure to get their customer service department to get you that money back. I've also (for the third time) begged them to stop using UPS in Canada.

What angle do you use to get the brokerage fees reversed? They can be quite costly, especially with the big sets. I agree with them using CanadaPost, that would be way better. I have had 5 or 6 deliveries from Amazon UK and have had all of them UPS, except one order, which came DSL.

Recieved my single Passenger Train via UPS and there were no extra fees. I was expecting to pay brokerage fees so I even called them the scheduled day and the UPS rep said there were no extra charges. Delivery was just like any other normal delivery, box in perfect condition. I will definitely order more from Amazon UK if it's always like this!

What angle do you use to get the brokerage fees reversed? They can be quite costly, especially with the big sets. I agree with them using CanadaPost, that would be way better. I have had 5 or 6 deliveries from Amazon UK and have had all of them UPS, except one order, which came DSL.

I contact them as soon as possible. I like to point out the number of amazon purchases I've made (not just .uk, but .com and .ca) and nicely complain that brokerage fees make their product uncompetitive. I also mention that I regularly post/follow/read lego forums/sites, and that I'm happy to report either positively or negatively to my fellow lego fans. I also remind them that not all carriers charge these fees, and that they really need to make some changes.

Thus far it has worked 100% of the time, and has saved me a fair amount of cash. The free Malevolence was just an awesome bonus and unrelated to brokerage fees, but serves to point out that they have great customer service. Be polite, explain why you think these fees are ridiculous (and they could have saved you the money by choosing a different shipper) and hope for the best.

I contact them as soon as possible. I like to point out the number of amazon purchases I've made (not just .uk, but .com and .ca) and nicely complain that brokerage fees make their product uncompetitive. I also mention that I regularly post/follow/read lego forums/sites, and that I'm happy to report either positively or negatively to my fellow lego fans. I also remind them that not all carriers charge these fees, and that they really need to make some changes.

Thus far it has worked 100% of the time, and has saved me a fair amount of cash. The free Malevolence was just an awesome bonus and unrelated to brokerage fees, but serves to point out that they have great customer service. Be polite, explain why you think these fees are ridiculous (and they could have saved you the money by choosing a different shipper) and hope for the best.

Thanks for the info. My last few orders have still worked out to a little saving over driving down to the US to pick them up, so it is still worth it. But saving those brokerage fees would sure help out alot. You know how hard it is finding deals in Canada to begin with. I'll test out your suggestions soon enough. Maybe it's time to grab a few more Helm's Deeps! :)

Guest ph4tb0i

To me Amazon UK seems to be luck of the draw. If you get an outsourced india guy they will try to haggle you to death, which is not a bad thing because I usually just haggle and then email Amazon UK support again with the log of the indian guy/girl haggling with me. The result is I usually get the discount I was looking for. My last package had a completely ripped Lego 7937 (I ordered 2 7937s and 2 7938s) and after their discount I managed to get the damaged 7937 for free and the 7938s for a substantial discount. If I stuck with accepting what "Prajeet" had offered me I would've gotten completely screwed. (To anybody of south asian decent: I'm not racist or hate you in any way. In fact most of my best friends are south asian, but I really, REALLY, HATE outsourced India Customer Support/IT Work of any kind. I think it's just a cultural difference/inadequate compensation somewhere there that drives everything to hell).

Guest ph4tb0i

I don't understand why you complain to Amazon.co.uk that you have to pay custom fees? It's normal, you need to pay your taxes since you import something

It's not so much the paying custom fees as it is Amazon's choice of courier that I think Veegs is gettinga t here. There are a lot of things where if they shipped Royal Mail/DHL mail then there wouldn't be customs fees vs. UPS which charges $10 on top of charging tax/duties.

I don't understand why you complain to Amazon.co.uk that you have to pay custom fees? It's normal, you need to pay your taxes since you import something

I complain because those brokerage and custom fees might be the difference between a small and a good sized profit %. They have a choice of carriers, and one is more expensive. I have the right to complain when they choose the more expensive one on my behalf.

I complain because those brokerage and custom fees might be the difference between a small and a good sized profit %. They have a choice of carriers, and one is more expensive. I have the right to complain when they choose the more expensive one on my behalf.

You also have the right to not buy and not complain on top of that....

They dont offer free shipping to me unlike half of Europe do you see me complaining :) they could fix it though :)

I eat it or shop elsewhere :P

simple