9748 - Droid Developer Kit

jupymeow

Hi Everyone, I am a mom, a new member and this is my first forum post! I found a sealed box in a pretty good condition of the MindStorms 9748-1: Droid Developer Kit at my brother's house. http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/set.cfm?set=9748-1 was all excited trying to find out how much it is worth now since it's Star War related and all..... And to my surprise it performed so poorly, 1.03% CAGR...... Does this mean this set has no potential at all? Should I keep it for few more years? Sell it? or just give it to my son to play with while the motor may still work..... Thanks!!

These numbers are pretty surprising for this, being SW and all, as you said. It doesn't mean it won't have any potential, but I don't really see a 1999 set increasing much more. I would either sell it or give it to your son. Holding it, could make it worth less than the current price, or a little more, but probably won't go more than $125 anytime soon. Sorry.

Hi Everyone, I am a mom, a new member and this is my first forum post!

I found a sealed box in a pretty good condition of the MindStorms 9748-1: Droid Developer Kit at my brother's house.

http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/set.cfm?set=9748-1

was all excited trying to find out how much it is worth now since it's Star War related and all..... And to my surprise it performed so poorly, 1.03% CAGR......

Does this mean this set has no potential at all? Should I keep it for few more years? Sell it? or just give it to my son to play with while the motor may still work.....

Thanks!!

The Mindstorms sets are a niche market. Either you love that kind of set or not. Myself, I'm not a huge fan even though I do own one of these sets. If you son loves robots...let him open it. If he doesn't, sell it and buy him something else.

My brother got this set for Christmas in 2000. It's an awesome set and I found one at goodwill a few years ago for $3.00. The problem with the set to me is that I'm pretty sure the software is not compatible with most people's computers these days and the software was a big part of this set.

The problem with the set to me is that I'm pretty sure the software is not compatible with most people's computers these days and the software was a big part of this set.

I think this is the most difficult part for these Mindstorm sets. Technology just keeps advancing in such strides to where the software is so far behind everything else and compatibility issues are a major concern. They are cool and could accomplish some neat feats but will always get replaced by something more advanced down the road.

Take for example, I have a printer that I only just purchased before Windows 7 came out. It worked amazingly with the older one running on Windows XP. Came time to upgrade the eight years or so old PC to a new one with Windows 7. Well guess what? The freakin' printer won't work! The software won't even let me load it at all because of some incompatibility crap. AUGH!!!!

Thank you all for your reply!! I guess the software is the major issue. But I think it would still run around without hooking up to a computers. So my son would definitely love it. He is 3 now, I'll save it and built it with him next year. and OMG I got a reply for Ed!!! Just wanted to say I LOVE this website, in fact I am addicted to it. Thank you for your hard work. This site gives me all the reasons to buy and full in love with Lego again, and of course, my kids, too.

Thank you all for your reply!!

I guess the software is the major issue. But I think it would still run around without hooking up to a computers. So my son would definitely love it. He is 3 now, I'll save it and built it with him next year.

and OMG I got a reply for Ed!!! Just wanted to say I LOVE this website, in fact I am addicted to it.

Thank you for your hard work. This site gives me all the reasons to buy and full in love with Lego again, and of course, my kids, too.

LOL...I never knew my replies were that important. I should start charging for them. ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

Apart from the software issue, I just didn't like the way the R2 looked (or the AT-AT with the dark side developer set, for that matter). If they had been better looking sets, I think people would have been more interested. I never bought one, and I'm a pretty serious collector... But yah, I would either sell it for what you can get or give it to your kiddo, if they are into that type of set, that is.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I wanted to see if anyone has ever used this set.  My son got it new sealed for Christmas and we just put it together.

Looks great and we execute preprogrammed option 1 for forward movement press run and it flashes like it should run but the motor never turns and that is it.

I think the motor is burned out and I should buy a used one on ebay unless anyone has any ideas?