Disney to release a new Star Wars movie every year?

BigEZ96

I think this will help the Lego SW market. It probably won't impact the rest of the Lego market, but SW, definitely. I would say (you can argue with me on this one) that the Lego SW fanbase peaked around 2006 or 2007, which correlates as 1 or 2 years after the Star Wars Episode III was released. It's probably been decreasing in terms of popularity and fanbase (trust me, it pains me to say this). I would say that it will help the Lego SW market, assuming we get half-decent movies, with a few "iconic" vehicles, similar to the iconic-ness of the AT-AT or Republic Gunship.

This should be a positive for Lego, but as far as the films go, you guys don't think that releasing new films this frequently will dilute the franchise and oversaturate the market? It seems like it could really damage the quality of the franchise if not handled correctly.

I personally think they will do it right. For at least the first couple movies. Which for investors is all we need. Just a couple years of awesomeness and the sets will increase a lot. There is way too much at stake for star wars and disney for them to mess it up. It's why they brought in JJ et all.

I think it all hinges on Episode 7, from an investment standpoint. If Abrams is smart, he will include many nods to the original trilogy - include some of the vehicles/ships, characters, etc. If that happens in a cool way, I think the value of the old sets will continue to rise quite a bit. If he scraps all of that and essentially starts from scratch, I would be more concerned. I think those middle years will be the interesting ones, with the one-off movies. If they do end up doing a Han Solo movie, of his younger years as a smuggler, him getting the Falcon, etc, then I think it's a lock we'll see a V2 of 10179. Probably slightly updated, different minifigs, etc.

I think it all hinges on Episode 7, from an investment standpoint. If Abrams is smart, he will include many nods to the original trilogy - include some of the vehicles/ships, characters, etc. If that happens in a cool way, I think the value of the old sets will continue to rise quite a bit. If he scraps all of that and essentially starts from scratch, I would be more concerned.

I think those middle years will be the interesting ones, with the one-off movies. If they do end up doing a Han Solo movie, of his younger years as a smuggler, him getting the Falcon, etc, then I think it's a lock we'll see a V2 of 10179. Probably slightly updated, different minifigs, etc.

I wish for this!. I missed on that one and really would like to be able to get one cheaper than the 10179 to build myself. Just like the new X-Wing. I also don't think it would hurt the value of the original that much, if at all.

I'm hoping for the best, as far as these new movies go. The films have always been released every three years, so cranking new episodes out every two years, to me, is not a good sign. It takes a huge amount of work to create a Star Wars film, production and post production, so I'm afraid being on a 2 year timeline could make for a rushed end product. If they were filming all three back to back and then releasing them, as with the LOTR films, that would be different, but I haven't heard anything to indicate them going that route. As far as the non-sequel films, the "one-off's", so to speak -- we don't know anything about them other than they're likely to center on established characters. In which case, the timelines of the sequel trilogy and these other films, I think, could be confusing to new fans as well as some older fans, since the sequels will be post-ROTJ, and the one-off's will likely be pre-ANH. I'm not liking the announcement as it pertains to Lego either. I think it's a recipe for oversaturation, as they should be focusing on the sequels. The first new Star Wars films since 1983 where we don't know the outcome, should be enough to excite fans, young and old. This is not Avengers, we don't need a new movie every year.