Good EBAY article about Lego investing!

• 1 month later...

Here is the actual article from eBAY by electrogamecollector:

Over the years Lego building sets have become more and more popular with both toy collectors and various other collectors as well. As almost anyone under the age of forty will tell you; Lego building toys have been at the center of imaginative play for well over fifty years! In that time, the popular building sets have seen modest changes over the years and the addition of new and popular movie tie ins, as well as lucrative licensing deals with various pop culture icons (i.e. Star Wars, Batman, Indiana Jones, and Toy Story). Lego has always released creative original building sets as well (i.e. the Space series, the Lego City series, and the new Atlantis series). There is even Lego themed (and owned) amusement parks located throughout the world. Lego in itself is a pop culture icon and one that is growing at a record pace!

Ironically, when compared to other toy collectibles; Lego sets are not usually bought in bulk and stored away for many years in unused condition. We live in a time where some avid Star Wars collectors buy cases of Kenner action figures and put them away, but very few people have been buying and storing classic Star Wars Lego sets. One reason for this is due to the cost. Even the low end Star Wars Lego sets cost around $10 each (on a good day) and the average set costs between $25-$60+! Not too many toy collectors can afford to buy multiples of an item when it is that expensive, so most collectors would rather buy a $130 case of Star Wars Kubrick figures instead. A second reason some toy collectors don't buy Lego sets for collecting is simply because they don't like the brand or feel that it has staying power. I know some true hardcore collectors who think that detailed or limited edition action figures and play sets are the way to go and they cringe when I start to talk about Lego. Fine by me, but just understand that these collectors may very well be missing a golden opportunity.

How did Lego collecting gain ground? It started a few years ago. Then the craze continued. Sealed mint in the box Star Wars Lego sets have been going up in price for many years now. So have other Lego sets. But why is this? Are there that many Lego collectors out there or are these toys made in limited quanities? In essence both answers are correct to a certain degree. Now before I get a "ton" of emails I am not suggesting that Lego sets are made in limited quantities or that you should put your life savings in buying them. What I am saying is that one; the collector market for Lego sets (sealed in mint boxes) is growing; and number two; most Lego sets are not in production for more than a few years unless they get a release (which doesn't happen often). This constitutes demand and more and more collectors are starting to buy Lego sets as they begin to realize this. Just do a search on eBay for sealed mint in mint box Lego sets. You will see what I mean. Some of the most sought after sets easily quadruple in price and most double!

Now it is important to understand what I mean by mint in a sealed mint box. An opened box of Legos (even if the contents are mint or sealed) is still opened! A box of Legos sealed with massive amounts of shelf wear (or even any modest shelf wear) is NOT mint! You can have a new box sitting on a store shelf that is not mint. One day condition grading of sealed Lego sets will take hold. When this occurs only the best pieces will sell for the best price. Please do NOT kid yourself into thinking that condition does not matter. A quick check of AFA (Action Figure Authority) will tell you otherwise.

Also, don't miss out on other Lego sets while collecting the popular movie and comic book tie ins! This is a major mistake that most collectors make! The Lego City and Atlantis series are great sets and they too change over time. Other series are very popular as well (i.e. Pirate and Castle series) and should not be ignored. I understand that money is an issue for any collector (no matter who you are); however, there are some great Lego sets that are sure to become hard to find (and quite possibly rare) in the future. One such example is the often over-looked, yet popular Atlantis series. This series is truly original and great in every detail. The sets are awesome with a great mysterious underwater theme! What I like most about this series is that most sets are highly affordable (in Lego standards); as most sell between $10 and $60, but some can be found for as little as $6! Do not over-look this series!

In conclusion, Lego collecting is often over-looked, but is gaining in popularity. The sets that will gain the most money are those sealed and never opened in the best possible condition! Do not over-look this area of toy collecting!

Disclaimer: This article (or guide) is NOT intended to give financial advice to anyone. Investing and collecting anything for profit takes time and money and is VERY risky! Only buy what you like, as you may very well never make any money on it. Also NEVER spend more than you can afford to lose. As with all collectibles tastes and change and there are no guarantees of profit. If profit and money is your only interest in buying collectibles, please consider putting your money else where or buy only what you love! I am not liable for any investment or decision you make as a result of reading this guide. Thank you!

• 8 years later...
On 2/28/2012 at 12:08 PM, vikingPeg4411 said:

Here is the actual article from eBAY by electrogamecollector:

Over the years Lego building sets have become more and more popular with both toy collectors and various other collectors as well. As almost anyone under the age of forty will tell you; Lego building toys have been at the center of imaginative play for well over fifty years! In that time, the popular building sets have seen modest changes over the years and the addition of new and popular movie tie ins, as well as lucrative licensing deals with various pop culture icons (i.e. Star Wars, Batman, Indiana Jones, and Toy Story). Lego has always released creative original building sets as well (i.e. the Space series, the Lego City series, and the new Atlantis series). There is even Lego themed (and owned) amusement parks located throughout the world. Lego in itself is a pop culture icon and one that is growing at a record pace!

Ironically, when compared to other toy collectibles; Lego sets are not usually bought in bulk and stored away for many years in unused condition. We live in a time where some avid Star Wars collectors buy cases of Kenner action figures and put them away, but very few people have been buying and storing classic Star Wars Lego sets. One reason for this is due to the cost. Even the low end Star Wars Lego sets cost around $10 each (on a good day) and the average set costs between $25-$60+! Not too many toy collectors can afford to buy multiples of an item when it is that expensive, so most collectors would rather buy a $130 case of Star Wars Kubrick figures instead. A second reason some toy collectors don't buy Lego sets for collecting is simply because they don't like the brand or feel that it has staying power. I know some true hardcore collectors who think that detailed or limited edition action figures and play sets are the way to go and they cringe when I start to talk about Lego. Fine by me, but just understand that these collectors may very well be missing a golden opportunity.

How did Lego collecting gain ground? It started a few years ago. Then the craze continued. Sealed mint in the box Star Wars Lego sets have been going up in price for many years now. So have other Lego sets. But why is this? Are there that many Lego collectors out there or are these toys made in limited quanities? In essence both answers are correct to a certain degree. Now before I get a "ton" of emails I am not suggesting that Lego sets are made in limited quantities or that you should put your life savings in buying them. What I am saying is that one; the collector market for Lego sets (sealed in mint boxes) is growing; and number two; most Lego sets are not in production for more than a few years unless they get a release (which doesn't happen often). This constitutes demand and more and more collectors are starting to buy Lego sets as they begin to realize this. Just do a search on eBay for sealed mint in mint box Lego sets. You will see what I mean. Some of the most sought after sets easily quadruple in price and most double!

Now it is important to understand what I mean by mint in a sealed mint box. An opened box of Legos (even if the contents are mint or sealed) is still opened! A box of Legos sealed with massive amounts of shelf wear (or even any modest shelf wear) is NOT mint! You can have a new box sitting on a store shelf that is not mint. One day condition grading of sealed Lego sets will take hold. When this occurs only the best pieces will sell for the best price. Please do NOT kid yourself into thinking that condition does not matter. A quick check of AFA (Action Figure Authority) will tell you otherwise.

Also, don't miss out on other Lego sets while collecting the popular movie and comic book tie ins! This is a major mistake that most collectors make! The Lego City and Atlantis series are great sets and they too change over time. Other series are very popular as well (i.e. Pirate and Castle series) and should not be ignored. I understand that money is an issue for any collector (no matter who you are); however, there are some great Lego sets that are sure to become hard to find (and quite possibly rare) in the future. One such example is the often over-looked, yet popular Atlantis series. This series is truly original and great in every detail. The sets are awesome with a great mysterious underwater theme! What I like most about this series is that most sets are highly affordable (in Lego standards); as most sell between $10 and $60, but some can be found for as little as $6! Do not over-look this series!

In conclusion, Lego collecting is often over-looked, but is gaining in popularity. The sets that will gain the most money are those sealed and never opened in the best possible condition! Do not over-look this area of toy collecting!

Disclaimer: This article (or guide) is NOT intended to give financial advice to anyone. Investing and collecting anything for profit takes time and money and is VERY risky! Only buy what you like, as you may very well never make any money on it. Also NEVER spend more than you can afford to lose. As with all collectibles tastes and change and there are no guarantees of profit. If profit and money is your only interest in buying collectibles, please consider putting your money else where or buy only what you love! I am not liable for any investment or decision you make as a result of reading this guide. Thank you!

Interesting, I will need to look into this whole LEGO thingamajig.

• Like 2