Brickpicker's price evaluations?

Grandpa

Hi. I have been looking at the TIE Intercepter, Set 7181, and the market value, according to BP, if I understand it correctly is about $375 new and $150 used. However, when I got to Amazon to buy it, the selling price is $799, and when I go to e-bay, the lowest value is $500. My question is: Where does BP get there values from, and what good is their evaluations if you can not get it for that price? This is NOT a criticism.....I am a newbie here and am just trying to learn how to buy, what to buy, when to buy and what price to pay. Grandpa

Hello, the BP prices are based on sold eBay auctions.......they take the last 30 sales of the given set and average those sales to come up with the value. As for amazon there some crazy third party sellers that ask asinine prices for sets so that is why you see that high price. The BP price could be a little outdated for older sets that do not have many sales, but when the new numbers come out in a few days it could change.

Hi.

I have been looking at the TIE Intercepter, Set 7181, and the market value, according to BP, if I understand it correctly is about $375 new and $150 used.

However, when I got to Amazon to buy it, the selling price is $799, and when I go to e-bay, the lowest value is $500.

My question is: Where does BP get there values from, and what good is their evaluations if you can not get it for that price?

This is NOT a criticism.....I am a newbie here and am just trying to learn how to buy, what to buy, when to buy and what price to pay.

Grandpa

According to most recent sales for new in box as well as used, those BP values looks "roughly" correct, especially when looking at last 30 sales. Might be revised upwards or downwards in a few days - this data is updated once monthly.

What this tells me: $799 Amazon price is overpriced, based on last 30 auction sales. $500 on ebay, I would pass over and wait for someone else to list it lower, unless there is a major upward movement and people today would truly snap those up at that price, but I doubt it.

Right off the bat, Amazon is overpriced. And that price on eBay is what I would consider normal for that set really.

As for BrickPicker's value system, the minimum they like to use to get a decent average is roughly 30 sold listings. The typical 'average' for any set is based on all sold listings within the last 12 months. I don't think they average the entire history of sold listings for a set, just the more recent sales. It's similiar to how the price guide page on BrickLink shows an average of sales for the past 6 months.

But then again, data could get screwed up with some sellers offering Free Shipping and some charging $15 shipping.that is one of the reasons the price in the price guide doesn't include shipping........every seller charges different prices to ship.

Yep - shipping costs will screw with the price, but this is basically a wash anyway, since free shipping means higher final price, and shipping cost means lower final price.. they'll average out.

Duplo??? Anyway, not to be rude, but I don't really rely on bp's market values. I like to shop retired sets, and the occassions when I can actually buy one at or below bp's value are pretty rare. If you want to know the actual market value of a set in the condition you want, I suggest hitting that "sold listings" link at the top of your ebay results page and looking at each sale individually.

Duplo??? Anyway, not to be rude, but I don't really rely on bp's market values. I like to shop retired sets, and the occassions when I can actually buy one at or below bp's value are pretty rare. If you want to know the actual market value of a set in the condition you want, I suggest hitting that "sold listings" link at the top of your ebay results page and looking at each sale individually.

The Duplo comment was a joke (I think, lol.. pretty sure it is).

And as for looking at sold listings and looking at each sale individually - that is quite an amount of work to do for each set I own, so this is precisely why I use BP data. I sure ain't gonna look at multiple sold listings and update my investments when BP can do it for me.

Sure, I do still check ebay sold listings, but only as a sanity check.

It's a guide, not gospel. It's a rolling average of the last 30 eBay sales. Yes, looking at the "completed" listings on the Advanced search on eBay gives you the most recent sales, which we get the middle of every month in its entirety.