Ugh... eBay. How do you guys handle the madness?

Trying to stay calm... How do you guys handle normal shelf wear on products you sell? Just annoying dealing with buyers sometimes... Do you just not sell anything unless its Mint? Just sent a guy a JP with normal shelf wear, which was in my description and I know the truth is that he is having buyer's remorse. I would have rated his box at an 7.5 if Mint is a 9 and 10 is impossible. Just frustrated a bit. Looking for advice and guidance moving forward so I don't have hiccups during Christmas.

I take pictures of every side of the box pretty close up and tell them the item they are getting is the one below. If you did that and he still has issues, it is kind of on him, but yes I think you are right. He is like the rest of us... He sees them going back down in value md coming back in stock and now he wants a way out. Sadly eBay would side with him in a dispute and make you refund his money but you should definitely be able to stick him with return shipping. They are usually good bout making them pay for the return ship. At least you are only out a little time that way.

I take pictures of every side of the box pretty close up and tell them the item they are getting is the one below. If you did that and he still has issues, it is kind of on him, but yes I think you are right. He is like the rest of us... He sees them going back down in value md coming back in stock and now he wants a way out. Sadly eBay would side with him in a dispute and make you refund his money but you should definitely be able to stick him with return shipping. They are usually good bout making them pay for the return ship. At least you are only out a little time that way.

This right here is stated perfectly!

Unfortunately, even if you make your listing stupid proof, you will sometimes get a real winner of a buyer. This is life. It happens to all of us. Its frustrating. You just have to take it with a grain of salt and realize that its all a part of doing business. Just do all you can to describe your auction and cross your fingers. It's Ebay so it's a crap shoot.

Unfortunately, you are just going to have to take it back. Be nice and professional and just chalk it up to the cost of doing business. The only way out you would have is if he opens it and you would then still have to have eBay rule in your favor. You can at least make the buyer pay for return shipping but you are probably going to be out the shipping costs you paid to send it to him. If you didn't offer free shipping, the buyer could still ask for the shipping costs back by filing a "not as described" case with eBay. In that case eBay will probably rule in his favor and force you to give it back to him. But I would make him ask for it first. Sometimes, the buyers will be nice about it and not want their shipping costs as a compromise for taking it back. This is why sellers should not use the eBay's Managed Returns process. If you do, you are forced to pay for return shipping costs and then refund the buyer everything. This is the reason why I didn't rush to list my JP's during the hysteria because there will be lots of these people now trying to get their money back and do returns for all sorts of reasons (wrong condition, wrong description, etc) when it is really a case of them not being able to make a quick profit on it. At least they will have to pay something (return shipping) for the lesson.

This right here is stated perfectly!

Indeed, I do go the extra step further and video record (I do state this in my descriptions). But deep down, I know it is useless but does sometimes scare newer buyers to keep sets. eBay needs to give sellers the RIGHT to leave negative feedback but they sold-out to Wall St. Thanks Meg Whitman as this was decided on her questionable watch (yet another line in her list of bad decisions).

Not paying return shipping is a must.

I also try to negotiate with upset BS buyers. If they keep it, I offer a discount after positive feedback is left. If they complain about my suggestion or don't trust me, I openly state they still have the right to report me to ebay (this is the truth) if I don't keep my promise. I do always try to do the latter over the phone to increase the odds of getting my way.

Fully agree with the first reply to this post. Best to message them and say that you're happy to accept it back but return costs are at buyers expense as stated in ebay's own policy, but explain to them that it may be better and cheaper for them to just resell themselves, as if they send it back they're out of pocket with nothing to show for it - usually does the trick. If they do send it back remind them of the need to repackage appropriately so that no additional damage or wear is suffered - so they don't do something stupid like minimal wrap it and you receive it back trashed.

That makes sense selling to investors. When it retires your market are buyers most could care less about the box. Sold a box damaged Hagrids hut for almost 100. How it got that high I don't know and don't care. But market will get better selling to buyers instead of investors

Personally I try to be very professional but firm that you do except returns if the item is not as descried and kindly tell the buyer why it's a hassle to return, that they will have to pay return shipping, and how buyers who return items just because cause the cost of items to go up. I also do what jaisonline said ("But deep down, I know it is useless but does sometimes scare newer buyers to keep sets.") depending on how new they are you can usually convince them to keep them because it's the right thing to do. I recently had a buyer want to return 3 used discontinued Battle Packs that were all complete in excellent condition. She was upset that they didn't have instructions even though the listing noted that in the first sentence and she said her young son had trouble building them and he thought they were missing pieces. When it comes down too it. Test the waters. See how committed the buyer is to returning them item and if they persist take it back. Caulk it up to business.

In my description, for EVERY set I say it has shelfwear and creasing. If someone gets a perfect box, then they are more than happy. If they don't then it is in the description that the set is like that and the buyer should be expecting it.

This is an excellent idea. With my pictures I usually state that the item in the pictures is the exact item they will receive. I've never had issues, but maybe it's just bad luck.

I don't buy many sets off Ebay anymore, but one of the last times I did, the package was left at my doorstep and looked like it had been run over by the truck. Luckily no pieces were missing, but there were open holes in both the inner and outer boxes. I sent photos to the seller and he still gave me a hard time about returning it, as if I for some reason, tore up the box myself. I'm not stuck on my boxes being minty fresh, but honestly, this thing was mangled. I ended up keeping it though because I think he gave me like $25 bucks off what was probably a $90 set. This also happened to be the only time I've ever received a shipment from DHL. Coincidence???