Is this unethical?

dakotahorn

Ok, so I bought a Golden Dragon from Walmarts site to store along with a bunch of other sets back in January. Problem is the GD came in a freaking bubble mailer while everything else was shipped in boxes. Well guess what the GD box was damaged... not insignificantly either. I meant to return it, but got lazy and forgot. So my question is would it be unethical to buy a new one mint from Walmart and return the one they carelessly shipped with that receipt? Im torn.

No, I don't think so. If you purchased it from Walmart and will be doing the buy and return there as well, I say okay. Doing what comicblast probably won't work since walmart ships back their stuff to walmart online. Even if they carry it in store, if you purchased it online, they have to refund only and ship it back. My store did it to me when I had a similar instance. I hate Walmart's customer service policies almost as much as I hate Toys R Us' markup. Target is literally the only B&M store i will purchase items from with the occasional Barnes and Noble purchase.

Ok, so I bought a Golden Dragon from Walmarts site to store along with a bunch of other sets back in January. Problem is the GD came in a freaking bubble mailer while everything else was shipped in boxes. Well guess what the GD box was damaged... not insignificantly either.

I meant to return it, but got lazy and forgot. So my question is would it be unethical to buy a new one mint from Walmart and return the one they carelessly shipped with that receipt?

Im torn.

On all my site to store orders they opened the package during pickup for my inspection. I never had any problem swapping less than mint sets right away, providing they had one in stock. If they had none in stock, the return counter was just a few feet away.

I personally do not pass the outcome of my laziness to someone else

On all my site to store orders they opened the package during pickup for my inspection. I never had any problem swapping less than mint sets right away, providing they had one in stock. If they had none in stock, the return counter was just a few feet away.

I personally do not pass the outcome of my laziness to someone else

None in store and GD was on sale so I didn't return.

I say thats a little undignified, just tell costumer service what happened and I'm almost positive that they'll let you exchange it.

Exactly, while it wouldn't be a big deal to buy a new one and return it (believe me more people do this then you think), just be honest with them and I'm sure they'll take it back. That way you don't feel guilty and you still get the nice clean and pristine set.

Exactly, while it wouldn't be a big deal to buy a new one and return it (believe me more people do this then you think), just be honest with them and I'm sure they'll take it back. That way you don't feel guilty and you still get the nice clean and pristine set.

I'll probably just try this. But I do find the differing opinions interesting.

Remember - WalMart customer service doesn't care. They will take back anything and at the very least provide you with store credit. We returned stuff from online to them, and it wasn't a big deal, and even though I can't stand Wal-Mart, you know you'll always use store eventually. I wouldn't even think twice - tell them it's damaged without a receipt - you don't even need to explain it. They'll take it back.

I'm not sure what part you think might be unetical.. did you leave something out? You ordered an item and a damaged item came. Do you feel like you're inconveniencing them by waiting too long to return it, or did you open it and use it? Or do you have 2 when you paid or one? I don't understand. Either way, if it was your local hobby shop that made a mistake, I'd say just get a refund.. but it's walmart, and there is really no shame in taking advantage of their mistakes. No one will lose an entire cent out of what you're gonna do, no one will be blamed, no jobs lost, and don't forget how badly wal mart screws over small businesses. You're kharma is in the clear.