Buying a NEW Lego Set?

Grandpa

Hi! Most of my Lego sets come from Target, Walmart, or the older sets, from ebay. This May, Lego is introducing a new version of the Star Wars X-Wing Fighter. According to the Lego site, the MSRP for this will be $199.00 Some ebay vendors are actually pre-selling it at $249.00? Now comes the question. I obviously want this new model, but do I pay the MSRP of $199.00, thereby getting it quickly (it is to be a Christmas present for my grandson), or do I wait a while and hope for a sale at Target, Walmart, etc. What has been your experience when Lego introduces a new model? This will actually be the first time that I care about such an event? Grandpa

Just wait and see if you can get it on sale. Lego will do different promotions throughout the year and you would be better off holding out for one of them. There is also the possibility that it goes on sale at Amazon or another online store at some point, but that is hard to say. Either way, you are better off waiting for a sale, especially since there are another 5 months before most people start to even think about Christmas.

What Stephen_Rockefeller, spener90, Fcbarcelona101, Darth Lego, and Rich B have said is correct. Since this one is for an investment, and it hasn't even come out yet, you have plenty of time to get it on a steeper discount before Christmas time, unless your very lucky grandson has a birthday coming up. ;) If you were to buy it as an investment (not sure if you are, or not), it's usually better to buy either at a low cost, or nearer to the latter end of the product's running time. If a product runs for 2 years, usually grabbing it at the very beginning is a pain since it takes up funds and space. Also, these so-called "Pre-Orders" are sold by people who will be able to get the set on the exact same date as you. So, it would actually be faster to buy from LEGO Shop at Home (Lego.com).

If it is for sale only at Lego Shop @ Home then buy it during their pre black Friday sale where last year we got 10% off, free shipping and a bonus gift worth about $20. If it is available at other stores (like Amazon, Shopko, Walmart, Kmart, etc.) you will be able to pick it up for at least 10% off, likely 20% or more, at some point before Christmas.

If you really want it, get it, who cares. If you think it is worth MSRP then there is nothing wrong with picking it up. I think it will see discounts in six months, but nothing that will blow a persons mind. I'm no stranger to spending MSRP on sets I really want. If I believe that a Lego set merits it then I'll get it, why not?