Are basic brick sets collectible?

Hello, Potentially dumb question here, or at least a question I think I have found an answer to, but wanted to confirm with the community here: Are basic brick boxes, such as the 6177 Builders of Tomorrow, collectible? I suspect that, being simple collections of standard bricks also readily available via Pick-a-Brick, they would not increase much in value. Is this correct?

Hi Eremis77. If you just take a glance at this type of set, you will see that they do increase in value over time, but the margin of increase is much smaller than some other sets. I just looked and many of the sets have increased by $5-$10, but usually not more in 2 years. Personally, this is not a large enough margin of profit for me, so I would stick to themed sets like Ninjago, SW, and LOTR. I also have seen in the BrickPicker database that some of this type of set have decreased in value, but I can't really figure out why. I like these just for the bricks, but as an investment, it is pretty "meh".

Hello,

Potentially dumb question here, or at least a question I think I have found an answer to, but wanted to confirm with the community here:

Are basic brick boxes, such as the 6177 Builders of Tomorrow, collectible? I suspect that, being simple collections of standard bricks also readily available via Pick-a-Brick, they would not increase much in value. Is this correct?

They are great for "parting" out and reselling.

They are great for "parting" out and reselling. Never tried this before. I usually stick to themed sets. Have you tried it? If so, do you just sell them as a "Lot of Brand New Lego Pieces"?

Yep, you can sell them as a lot, or categorize and sell them by color, size, etc. There's really no limit to what you can do. Typically the more work you put into sorting and selling bulk, the better the return. The problem is it becomes a time constraint. Most people do not have the time to sort, list, and sell individual lots. Therefore it's usually easier just to sell bricks as a bigger lot, but less profitable when doing so. The bigger profits come from more work/sorting, so it's all about how much time you are willing to put in, and how much patience one has. There are people out there making great money buying bulk, sorting it, and then reselling it.

They are great for "parting" out and reselling. Never tried this before. I usually stick to themed sets. Have you tried it? If so, do you just sell them as a "Lot of Brand New Lego Pieces"?Yep, you can sell them as a lot, or categorize and sell them by color, size, etc. There's really no limit to what you can do. Typically the more work you put into sorting and selling bulk, the better the return. The problem is it becomes a time constraint. Most people do not have the time to sort, list, and sell individual lots. Therefore it's usually easier just to sell bricks as a bigger lot, but less profitable when doing so. The bigger profits come from more work/sorting, so it's all about how much time you are willing to put in, and how much patience one has. There are people out there making great money buying bulk, sorting it, and then reselling it.Thanks, Rich B. I may try it, just because I have to do a lot of meticulous work in order to have cash flow. ;)

They are great for "parting" out and reselling. Never tried this before. I usually stick to themed sets. Have you tried it? If so, do you just sell them as a "Lot of Brand New Lego Pieces"?Yep, you can sell them as a lot, or categorize and sell them by color, size, etc. There's really no limit to what you can do. Typically the more work you put into sorting and selling bulk, the better the return. The problem is it becomes a time constraint. Most people do not have the time to sort, list, and sell individual lots. Therefore it's usually easier just to sell bricks as a bigger lot, but less profitable when doing so. The bigger profits come from more work/sorting, so it's all about how much time you are willing to put in, and how much patience one has. There are people out there making great money buying bulk, sorting it, and then reselling it.Thanks, Rich B. I may try it, just because I have to do a lot of meticulous work in order to have cash flow. ;)Nice! Yeah just remember it takes a lot of time, and it can be very meticulous. It's typically only worth it if you're buying/getting a good amount of bricks at a low price. Otherwise it's not really worth the time and energy.