Have you ever kept the set but sold the minifigures?

We've discussed parting out a set for profit, and also about listing a set with the minifigures removed, but what about the opposite?

My question may be more for builders than collectors but here goes.

Have you ever bought a set for parts and only listed the minifigures to sell?

On some sets I'm okay with having more than one of a character (Troopers, Soldiers, Knights, etcetera), but some have very unique ones (Mace Windu, Yoda, so on) that at best I'm okay with two. For the most part, I buy a lot of sets just for the parts. Characters are great but, as I said, I don't always need that many of certain characters.

At the least I was thinking that if I were to sell the minifigures I did not want, it could help to cover the cost of the set itself a little.

Not looking for big gains, just wondering if it has been done.

I had 3 each of the previous AT-TEs and RGS sets to use for a Geonosis MOC.

I sold off all the extra minifigs which put a nice dent into the set prices.

That was basically what I was thinking. Selling the minifigures to help cover the set cost.

I usually do the other way around... I sell set WITHOUT minifigures. (Example. Uruk-Hai Army) and then transform Eomer in a Rohan ''soldier'' with Boromir type of hair.

I know that is usual way of doing things and makes sense for army building sets like that. But a lot of times, I usually just need the parts from a set more than the characters and when I start having around five Bilbo's, there's only so much one can do with a unique character like that.

Granted, I don't expect to make enough from selling the extra minifigures to cover the entire cost of the set but was thinking it could help cover at least a percentage of it. I mean, it's cheaper to get a selection of parts from a brand new set than order separately off of BrickLink. Sure I'll end up with parts I don't need at the moment, maybe even never, but I'd rather have when I don't than don't have and need it.

I've also heard some people like to collect just the minifigures and not the sets. Maybe a win-win?

(I don't want the figs but they do. I wan't the parts, and they don't.)

I've only done this a couple times, but if I decide to part out a set, it's usually the minifigures that get sold because not many people are out for just the bricks. If I need the bricks for a MOC or have found that the minifigs have covered the cost of the set, I keep the set. :)

My wife and I have been doing this recently to get more pieces. Some of the minfigs didn't sell the first time around so we are relisting them slightly lower. But so far We have made back about half the cost of each of the following sets we are testing this with: Attack of the Wargs, Daily Bugle Showdown and Turtle Lair Attack. After we sell the remaining minifigs it looks like we might just about break even (which is our goal). I know these don't have the greatest pieces but like I said we are just testing with these sets. I'm thinking the best time to try this is when a set first comes out since collectors are trying to get those new minifigs.

I've sold the sets without minifigures and the minifigures without sets. For my own collection it is all about subsidizing what you want with what you don't. Makes thing a lot more affordable and nicer. It isn't believable to have a battle scene with multiples Yodas, comeon!

I'm thinking the best time to try this is when a set first comes out since collectors are trying to get those new minifigs.

I've made note of certain characters from a variety of sets and that has usually been the optimum time to do so.

so far We have made back about half the cost of each of the following sets we are testing this with: Attack of the Wargs, Daily Bugle Showdown and Turtle Lair Attack. After we sell the remaining minifigs it looks like we might just about break even (which is our goal). I know these don't have the greatest pieces but like I said we are just testing with these sets. I'm thinking the best time to try this is when a set first comes out since collectors are trying to get those new minifigs.

That's promising. Maybe those sets don't have the greatest parts but hey. Parts are parts. Always needing them.

I've sold the sets without minifigures and the minifigures without sets. For my own collection it is all about subsidizing what you want with what you don't. Makes thing a lot more affordable and nicer. It isn't believable to have a battle scene with multiples Yodas, comeon!

Good advice. And yeah as funny as it could be, who wants ten Yodas or Boba Fetts on the battlefield!

I've thought about buying the new Lone Ranger train and stagecoach and selling the minifigures because I like the sets but not necessarily the minifigures. I would also consider this if I buy two LOTR Black Gates when it comes out (selling the minifigures from one of the two sets).

I think many people will sell most of the minifigures from any Lone Ranger set like the Cavalry Builder for starters. In the end, if you bought just one of each set (excluding the polybags), you're going to end up with six of the Lone Ranger character. A couple are different if slightly, but that's beside the point. I know I'll probably end up selling my extra Rangers.

I think many people will sell most of the minifigures from any Lone Ranger set like the Cavalry Builder for starters. In the end, if you bought just one of each set (excluding the polybags), you're going to end up with six of the Lone Ranger character. A couple are different if slightly, but that's beside the point. I know I'll probably end up selling my extra Rangers.

Yeh but problem is Lone Ranger and Tonto will be worthless... Everyone buying Lone Ranger will have XY of them so I expect their price to get far below even Eomers from LOTR.

As for the rest.... You said it is cheaper to obtain parts you need from new set and sell the set? I am not so sure about it, many time it was cheaper to buy 5 parts from 1 set than pay 40$ for a set then have to wait till all figs sell to have it cost 15$.

Sure you are left with many more parts than if you buy over bricklink but since they will not sell (normal bricks) and if you do not need them it is still a waste of parts/money.

But I might be different... I am an event builder... you know I want to have Helm's Deep with double wall extensions and 100 Uruk-Hais attacking and Eomer coming with Gandalf to aid with 20 Rohan Soldiers on horses...

So i do not really care for Bricks once I buy the set I want.

I think many people will sell most of the minifigures from any Lone Ranger set like the Cavalry Builder for starters. In the end, if you bought just one of each set (excluding the polybags), you're going to end up with six of the Lone Ranger character. A couple are different if slightly, but that's beside the point. I know I'll probably end up selling my extra Rangers. The one thing I thought about is if there are so many Lone Rangers in the sets than won't eBay and Amazon be flooded with too many of him? That would hurt the reselling value of the Lone Ranger and maybe make it not worth selling online. I'll probably end up doing selling my extras anyways since I wouldn't have any need for 6 of him. (Unless he is worth next to nothing.) Just a thought.

The one thing I thought about is if there are so many Lone Rangers in the sets than won't eBay and Amazon be flooded with too many of him? That would hurt the reselling value of the Lone Ranger and maybe make it not worth selling online. I'll probably end up doing selling my extras anyways since I wouldn't have any need for 6 of him. (Unless he is worth next to nothing.) Just a thought.

I have a pretty good feeling that eBay and BrickLink will end up being flooded with a ton of the Lone Ranger minifigure which will lead to him being worth barely a couple of bucks. And how much you wanna bet that chances are they'll all be from the Cavalry Builder set.