Attention Illinois Online Sellers!

Not sure if this applicable to anyone here, but I was just now eating Oreos (Reduced Fat, unfortunately!) and reading the Chicago Tribune. Front page article says that the state of Illinois is thinking about charging sales tax on online businesses. Now this may not affect very many of us, because most of us didn't have $1 million or more of sales last year. Never the less, what ticks me off the most is that the state governors are claiming that they "[are] not talking about imposing a new tax. Not at all." Lordy, sales tax was around before the internet, so since it wasn't included in the initial bill/law, then it of course is a new tax! Isn't that the reason why we sell over the internet, and don't open B&M stores? That would make some online eBay sellers pay over 20% in fees! (we have a 9.25% sales tax here; NUTS, I know!)

The exact article isn't available online, but a similar one is Here. I guess only if you have some stupid membership, can you read it! I kind of summarized it above...

Soon this will allow apply to everyone........watch the tears start to flow when it happens!

Not sure that that many of us have more than $1 mil. in total sales, yet, but until then...

I don't think it is as bad for other people because who else has sales tax as high as 9.25%? BTW, it was 9.75% until Jan 1st, 2013.

Not sure if this applicable to anyone here, but I was just now eating Oreos (Reduced Fat, unfortunately!) and reading the Chicago Tribune. Front page article says that the state of Illinois is thinking about charging sales tax on online businesses. Now this may not affect very many of us, because most of us didn't have $1 million or more of sales last year. Never the less, what ticks me off the most is that the state governors are claiming that they "[are] not talking about imposing a new tax. Not at all." Lordy, sales tax was around before the internet, so since it wasn't included in the initial bill/law, then it of course is a new tax! Isn't that the reason why we sell over the internet, and don't open B&M stores? That would make some online eBay sellers pay over 20% in fees! (we have a 9.25% sales tax here; NUTS, I know!)

The exact article isn't available online, but a similar one is Here. I guess only if you have some stupid membership, can you read it! I kind of summarized it above...

I believe Minnesota is planning on doing something very similar to this. (I read about about it in the Star Tribune about two weeks ago.) We are probably the last two teens who still read a printed newspaper! :p

I believe Minnesota is planning on doing something very similar to this. (I read about about it in the Star Tribune about two weeks ago.) We are probably the last two teens who still read a printed newspaper! :PWell, I read the comic section everyday, if that counts. I was just reading it because I had already read the comics like 5 times. ;)

I believe Minnesota is planning on doing something very similar to this. (I read about about it in the Star Tribune about two weeks ago.) We are probably the last two teens who still read a printed newspaper! :PWell, I read the comic section everyday, if that counts. I was just reading it because I had already read the comics like 5 times. ;)I admit I read almost the entire paper everyday. Main, Local, Business, Variety, and the Sport sections.

Just tell everyone you are an illegal alien and this tax doesn't apply to you. You should have seen the Hospital staff when I tried this. :)

12% where I live! Usually it's the buyer that absorbs the cost of tax based on where they live rather than where the store is? You might want to read the fine print of how it works as its usually more complicated than can be captured in a newspaper. It could affect prices short term but its only a matter of time before everyone pays when buying online from a store.

12% where I live!

Usually it's the buyer that absorbs the cost of tax based on where they live rather than where the store is? You might want to read the fine print of how it works as its usually more complicated than can be captured in a newspaper. It could affect prices short term but its only a matter of time before everyone pays when buying online from a store.

Well, right now it is just an idea floating around our state legislators. No fine print yet, but still I don't like the idea, should I eventually be have $1+ mil. in annual sales. If that happens, I might move to another state, like Indiana.