Does Lego tell its employees to lie?

Sauromosis

I would guess that they are just trying to get you to buy the set. If they sell a larger amount of sets, their store probably gets a little more money to do stuff with. I doubt that they know anything about the EOL'ing of any of the sets. They are just speculating, and they think that they are correct, so they pass it on to the customer.

Guest AnnexBrett

I would guess that they are just trying to get you to buy the set. If they sell a larger amount of sets, their store probably gets a little more money to do stuff with. I doubt that they know anything about the EOL'ing of any of the sets. They are just speculating, and they think that they are correct, so they pass it on to the customer.

Of course they wanna make you spend more! Of course one of their selling trick is make a set look like 'you better get it now coz then its gone'. Maybe TLG doesnt read investing forums (I think they do actually) however I am sure store managers in local lego stores are 100% in the knowledge about which set is 'hot' or under the radar in the secondary market!

Small or really kiddy sets are flying off the shelves anyway but they would not boost up the sales of a big ticket set by telling you what you see on the shelves- thats all they got, etcetc... Bigger sales means bigger commissions to the retail associates and bigger bonuses to the management- and, or future promotion within the company if the numbers are boosting. Its ALL about sales!!

I would have reservations about Lego telling it's employees to lie. That seems like bad business. They probably should remind their employees not to speculate though if is against company policy. Getting the 'retiring soon' label on a set online is as close as they are going to get to telling the general public a set is EOL'ing.

So do I. But it could also be another Live Star if it is selling well.

It is the last of the big sets I need to get some and put aside in multiples.

I doubt it will be a Live Star. It doesn't really have the popularity that Star Wars has. More of an adult display than a child playset. Plus the Death Star is an adult and child set, so it gets the attention of both parties. I think that this one will do pretty nicely right after EOL just like the Imperial Shuttle,which I am really excited about!

As of today, 28 Mar 2013, Tower Bridge is listed as "unavailable" in US and Canada. I've been looking and waiting far too long. :( My bad. I don't think employees are instructed to lie to customers. There's too much good will with LEGO that would be harmed by such practice. Besides, they have too many good customer service stories for me to want to believe they'd lie.

It doesn't make sense for Lego to tell its employees to lie. It would be much more effective to just tell employees incorrect information. Even more likely is that the information you get from employees in a store has passed through four or more levels to get there and thus each store might give you slightly different information. Ever played that game where you line up and pass a sentence along from person to person verbally and then see how it has been garbled at the last person?

I highly doubt they specifically tell them to lie, but they probably do tell them to tell to remind people that sets don't stay available forever. Disney uses tactics like that with their movies, they have that whole "going back in the vault" thing where they won't sell a movie for 5 or 6 years and then re-release it again in order to maintain hype/sales for the product. Lego is going to keep manufacturing Death Stars if they are selling really well, but they still want you to hurry up and buy them, so they are going to remain mysterious and uncertain about when retirement will happen.

Well they were both so conclusive "Yes, it's retiring soon" so I think management encourages them to try to get the sale. Maybe they work on partial commission so they tell everyone "you have to buy it today." I bought a bridge and feel like they lied to me to get me to buy. Won't make that mistake again.

Well they were both so conclusive "Yes, it's retiring soon" so I think management encourages them to try to get the sale. Maybe they work on partial commission so they tell everyone "you have to buy it today."

I bought a bridge and feel like they lied to me to get me to buy. Won't make that mistake again.

They are technically also sales people for LEGO since you can call them to place an order. Also since we are being technical here, soon is very relative term and their sets retire eventually, so there was no lie spoken.