75324 - Dark Trooper Attack

jaisonline

4 minutes ago, TheOrcKing said:

Seeing the Dark Trooper in official LEGO minifigure form here reminds me of Dark Forces and a bit of Jin-Roh.

Jin-Roh? I got that reference! Man, Mamoru Oshii wrote that so well! That film was pretty awesome for its time.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TANV said:

Jin-Roh? I got that reference! Man, Mamoru Oshii wrote that so well! That film was pretty awesome for its time.

End of the 90's, it certainly was. I can vaguely remember renting a VHS copy from Hollywood Video around high school. I know I have a DVD of it buried somewhere. I should 'unearth' it to rewatch. It's one of those moments where I know I watched the film but my memory is all over the place. The animation is still phenomenal, I think.

• 4 weeks later...

I purchased two sets at Costco on March 1st for $22.99 each.

The set is a quick build, probably 30 minutes; I spent what felt like more time looking for a grey 2x2 block that fell under the couch. 

For me the selling point was the three Dark Troopers.  The set has a little play action built in allowing Jedi Luke Skywalker to force push a trooper, a small area where he can be swiveled to strike the enemy with his light saber and the elevator swivels to reveal him arriving at that corridor.  I'm a collector though so the play factors are interesting for about a minute.

The main wall had several stickers to make it both a pain to finish but looks good. I'm terrible at them since they are never cut to fit edge to edge and on these stickers the light bars were not cut on center. (Hey Lego, adjust your sticker making process, it's been 20 years and we still have gaps in continuous areas covered with stickers).

I was thinking I could take the second set and extend the hallway.  There is a large gap in the wall just to the left of the elevator so maybe building an extension to fill that space is an option too.

• Like 3

saw two unopened pallets on a shelf at local Costco

In my limited experience I think the Costco sets are prime examples of the illusion of plentitude...whoever does their research for Costco generally picks well.

I wasn't around for the stacks of Black Pearls...but I remember the stacks of Voltrons...even the 3 in 1 sets do well just a couple years later. 

That said I still find myself hesitant to pull the trigger on the Throne Room

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

saw two unopened pallets on a shelf at local Costco

In my limited experience I think the Costco sets are prime examples of the illusion of plentitude...whoever does their research for Costco generally picks well.

I wasn't around for the stacks of Black Pearls...but I remember the stacks of Voltrons...even the 3 in 1 sets do well just a couple years later. 

That said I still find myself hesitant to pull the trigger on the Throne Room

Agree completely on Throne Room as an investment.  Again, I buy as a collector.  I don't have stacks in the storage waiting to sell in a few years. The figures seem to be done okay on ebay for the quick re-sellers of it.  $10-$25 a piece. Again, that's the Throne set not the Dark Troopers. The troopers are going for $10-$12 and shipping was free on some sold auctions.

ended up getting couple throne rooms and yanking 4 troopers out of the pallet (not on shelves yet)...when yanking i saaw that the pallet had a combo of troopers and some CIty sets so, FYI, a pallet is not all troopers...so a little less illusion of plentitude

costco makes it easy to get some sought after sets and not worry about buy limits, shipping issues, and the cheap gas subsidizes the drive